Hi everybody,

I wonder how Guthrie made his tone on first Aristocrats album. For a lack of a better term I call it "spongy". However no matter how I try, I can't reproduce it.

I know that he used his Suhr guitar, Suhr Badger 30 and Suhr Koko boost to record this album.

Do you know how to reproduce this kind of tone?Here is an example from Sweaty Knockers.

https://soundcloud.com/alexander-drobitko/sk-1/s-siEwU

Many thanks.

Alex.
he sounds like he might have the tone knob turned down a bit on his guitar?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To my ears, that sounds like a moderate amount of gain is used at the amp, but the volume knob on the guitar is turned down. And then it sounds like hes possibly picking with his fingers. In just about every video i see of guthrie govan, he utilizes his volume knob to obtain different flavors of gain. Man likes his dynamics
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

^ yeah if he has no treble bleed on his volume control turning the guitar's volume knob down will accomplish a similar thing to turning down the tone knob. so i guess it could be either.

either way, it has that sort of characteristic "softness" (for want of a better word) that having one of the guitar's controls turned down a bit tends to impart.

I think. My ears are terrible.

Obviously the amp etc. has to be dialled in correctly as well for that type of tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Guys, thanks for the tips. One more question. Which pickup position he is playing on this clip? I tend to think it is neck.
sounds more to me like bridge, but i wouldn't be sure. he has pretty fancy wiring in his guitars (i think) so dear only knows what exactly he's doing
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
sounds more to me like bridge, but i wouldn't be sure. he has pretty fancy wiring in his guitars (i think) so dear only knows what exactly he's doing

His Suhr model has a 5 way switch, with coil tap on the neck and bridge. So yeah haha
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I read in one of his books that he dials in quite a lot of mids generally to get that kinda nasal (idk how to describe it) sound
Quote by nico_9550
I read in one of his books that he dials in quite a lot of mids generally to get that kinda nasal (idk how to describe it) sound

Yeah, it sounds a bit like my Epi VJ with a vintage output humbucker and and the bright switch not engaged - very warm and middy. If I had a Suhr that sounded like that I would be wondering what I had got for my money.
Quote by Shredx
His Suhr model has a 5 way switch, with coil tap on the neck and bridge. So yeah haha

yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?