I'm looking for a guitar under 1k and decided I wanted either of these. Which do you guys like better? I really want that FR but the SG's woody tone.... I play from clean jams to Coldplay and even will do heavy metal and the Schecter will be the most versatile I know because of the coil tapping, but the neck on a Gibson is so nice... I melted when I played on my buddies 72' and wanted one ever since then. I can get either for $500 so money isn't an issue its more of which is going to be made of better quality, last longer, and sound better in dropped tunings (I occasionally play in drop Bb )
Assuming you've played both and still can't decide, I'd go for the SGJ at first just because that model is getting discontinued while the C-1 is going to be around for a while longer.
Don't assume that because you loved the neck on your friend's '72 Gibson, that you'll love another one. In fact, I would assume that a cheaper <$1000 Gibson almost certainly won't feel as good. The way you worded it, it sounds like you haven't actually played the guitars in question, you're just assuming that all Gibson necks are created equal. In general, I'd avoid buying a guitar without playing it first at all costs. If you have to buy blind, I'd always recommend a Schecter. Great guitars with fantastic quality control and factory setups that are better than anyone else in the price range.
No I haven't. I live hours away from any guitar store and the closest I've ever plays to these is a 72' SG standard and a schecter Damien elite 6
The Schecter is the better guitar of the two.

My personal evaluation of the "J" series Gibsons is that the "J" stands for Junque. It's being discontinued and good riddance.
Out of those two, the Schecter. And I don't even like Schecters. The J guitars just suck imo.

But if it was my money, I'd get a used MIJ Jackson pro.
Quote by Freddude30
Is s bc rich or a Jackson comparable to these?

Completely depends on the model.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Visit GC or local shops and see if you can find a used SG Standard. They closed the 2013 model for some silly price ... 800 or so.

Quote by dspellman
The Schecter is the better guitar of the two.

My personal evaluation of the "J" series Gibsons is that the "J" stands for Junque Juszkiewicz. It's being discontinued and good riddance.

FTFY
Quote by Ippon
Visit GC or local shops and see if you can find a used SG Standard. They closed the 2013 model for some silly price ... 800 or so.

FTFY

That was gonna be my suggestion too.I've seen previous years SG standards for under a grand in the past.
Quote by Freddude30
No I haven't. I live hours away from any guitar store and the closest I've ever plays to these is a 72' SG standard and a schecter Damien elite 6

Yeah, an SGJ is definitely not going to feel like that '72 Standard. As for the Schecter though, they're modern and very consistent. The neck on the Damien Elite is is the same as on the Hellraiser, except that the HR is set neck and also has a gloss finish. So, it's safe to assume that if you order a Hellraiser, it's going to feel similar, probably even a bit better, than the Damien Elite you've tried.
schecter all the way. It's modern and Schecter makes amazing guitars. I've played lots of both brands and here's why I say Schecter.

better parts
similar woods
the schecter is more modern
schecter isn't a big brand, they got something to prove and their prices are affordable so people will give them a shot. Made in USA is still production models and not every production model in any plant let alone gibson is perfect.

Avoid Gibson at all costs the fretting on them the last 5-10 years is a joke to the point I'd rather made in china guitars. I've worked on about 600 guitars the last 5-ish years and talk to guitar techs all over the world and there is a lot of hatred for gibson. Gibson is the brand people associate because of the bands who played them, it's like walmart or whatever. A guitar brand just like fender for MOSTLY but not always kids who don't know F*** all about guitars is my brutal honesty.

the LPJ or whatever gibson is all cheap parts so some kids could boast to their friends they got a gibson. then they are too embarrassed to say which model other than a les paul.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Nov 29, 2014,
oh and Dave Schecter sold his company to the parent company of ESP some time ago. The Korean ones are probably made in the same plant as LTD , PRS, Agile and a few others.

comparable quality in terms of parts think NJ Deluxe BC Riches or USA Jacksons in terms of parts they use but at a fraction of the cost for USA Jacksons. Some of the schecters like hybrid series feature evertune and hipshot bridges (very nice options) if you're big on active pickups they feature the new 57/66 set everyone is getting. If you hate them they can get you 200$ back on ebay easily. New those particular EMG are about 300$. Jeff Loomis to Devin Townsend and a lot of nobodies in between have switched to them and swear by them now.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Nov 29, 2014,
Quote by Tallwood13

Avoid Gibson at all costs the fretting on them the last 5-10 years is a joke to the point I'd rather made in china guitars. I've worked on about 600 guitars the last 5-ish years and talk to guitar techs all over the world and there is a lot of hatred for gibson. Gibson is the brand people associate because of the bands who played them, it's like walmart or whatever. A guitar brand just like fender for MOSTLY but not always kids who don't know F*** all about guitars is my brutal honesty.

the LPJ or whatever gibson is all cheap parts so some kids could boast to their friends they got a gibson. then they are too embarrassed to say which model other than a les paul.

I hear a lot of people say this but not once have I seen it in person. I actually have a 2013 Gibson SG Standard and it is an amazing guitar. The neck is great, frets are perfect, quality is damn near flawless, and it sounds amazing. Hell the first thing I did when I bought it was take it to get it inspected just to make sure.

I am sure the SGJ and Standard are totally different in terms of quality but I have not regretted the Standard at all. I wanted a quality guitar and it has held up extremely well. I am not saying that all Gibsons are created equal but I would never avoid them at all costs. They still make some damn good guitars.
Quote by Ippon

FTFY

Heck over the past couple weeks I've seen some used SG Standards for $500 at GC. I'm a firm believer in looking at used deals first nowadays.