I gave my old Epiphone guitar to a professional guy who repairs guitars, and also gave him an EMG a friend gave me to install it. The circuit was pretty simple: EMG>Volume>Battery>Output. The problem is that the gain that goes out of the guitar is too damn low! I tried raising the pickups, changing the battery, I even checked the circuit and everything is fine! I can't understand what the problem is. Anyone familiar with similar issues?
Quote by jinsu2301
does that mean the battery is in series with the volume? because if so, I don't think it's supposed to be like that.

No, no It's not exactly in that order. Here's a pic: CLICK HERE
Make sure that the guitar is wired correctly. I'm assuming that your guitar is wired with 2 volumes and 1 tone, like most Explorers.

Then check for any dry joints.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Make sure that the guitar is wired correctly. I'm assuming that your guitar is wired with 2 volumes and 1 tone, like most Explorers.

Then check for any dry joints.

Nah, I removed the original pickups, and only put a bridge EMG and one volume. I try to keep it simple. And I've checked the circuit, everything seems ok...
This usually means you have a bad battery connection, dead battery or the stereo jack has been wired incorrectly. Pickups (EMGs included) very, very rarely die.
Quote by -MintSauce-
This usually means you have a bad battery connection, dead battery or the stereo jack has been wired incorrectly. Pickups (EMGs included) very, very rarely die.

So, what do i do?
First things first try a new battery.
expensive batteries last longer by the way. I used to use dollar store ones in a camera but when I switched to literally 2$ ones I went from just getting a camera thinking it was broken taking 5 photos to 150.

pickup height is my out of the box idea if the guitar recently got EMG pickups.

however tje soldering is easy.
look for cold wire solders and loose connections.

so the red wires from the two pickups solder togheter and then solder it to the 9v battery clip.

on the stereo jack I've got a much better diagram below. It says seymour duncan on it but it uses the same parts EMG does to make their pickups active.

here's a better diagram. Hopefully this pops up the same way as everyone elses
(Invalid img)

while you're there though for clasisc 81 85 pickups do the 18v mod. It's where you put two batteries side by side (in series for the tech savy) and it boosts the output of the emg pickups.

Personally I despise the 81 85 combination (or anything to do with the 60). I'd rather go X series EMG or switch to seymour duncan blackouts. I had EMG pickups in 10 or so guitars from the factory and I found the blackout bridge pickup more articulate as in if i put the bass to say 10 I get one sound and or if I put the treble to 0 I get totally different sounds compared to everything sounding the same. Boring and lifeless. An engineer did a blog and even he agreed taking apart the blackout it is higher output. Wound hotter and all. Luckily we can try out as many combinations as we can because it features breakaway headers on the base of the pickups to swap pickups without soldering.

However, no ones opinion trumps our own personal one so try them out preferably in the same guitar and match as much of the amp settings and all as you can and see what you think. Even a few millimeters of pickup height changes everything.
I think I found the problem. I noticed that when the battery is plugged in or its not, the output is still low. There has to be a connection issue. I changed the battery connector but still no luck..
Quote by guitarpro2play
Can I remove the volume and make the circuit even more simple?

I don't see why you can't. But you will also forfeit the tone control
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Have you checked the wiring of your stereo jack yet? Having the ground and hot switched usually gives these symptoms...
Quote by Robbgnarly
I don't see why you can't. But you will also forfeit the tone control

Where can I find a diagram for that? I'm kind of a newbie at this stuff..
Quote by guitarpro2play
Where can I find a diagram for that? I'm kind of a newbie at this stuff..

Tallwood posted one for you earlier:
(Invalid img)

Ring - Battery ground,
Tip - Hot pickup output from volume/switch/wherever
Ring - Ground
Keep the volume. The only time you should ever remove the volume is if you have no control. Super simple fix but yeah...

Focus on just the red wires on the diagram and only the red wires. Three are soldered together before the jack. This is the battery ground (signal goes out) and besides the battery connecting to the cluster of 3 wires it is going to the "ring" position on the input jack.

It may just be a cold solder joint. Cold solder joints were the case on my friends American strat. The middle pickup was super weak sounding and it fixed it right up. That and if the pickup is new adjust the height of the pickup closer to the strings for a stronger sound.

good luck

for the sake of conversation
a solderless connection is possible. This is what you need for the new EMG way.
female fast on connectors
a crimp tool on ebay (takes a bit of skill) - import mono jacks are 4.2mm
shrink wrap tubing to keep everything connected professionally.
with this I do solderless pickguards for ebay when I get spare time.
youtube is your friend to learn.
So, I totally removed the volume, rewired everything, but still NOTHING! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?
it's hard to say without photos.

electricity isn't going properly into the circuit board of the EMG. So double check and see that the leads (wires) are going into the right places of the input jack.

if you've never used active EMG pickups before and it's a switchcraft input jack remember to push in until you hear a click or two.

lets assume the battery is new and tested on something else (damn what else are 9v batteries for lmao)

alright ... so open up the seymour duncan diagram I sent a while ago. it was a link. It says blackouts but it works 100% I wired up at least 10-15 guitars with it the past few years.

1- white inside the first thick wire with the EMG cable - tip (hot lead / current in)
2- red wire by itself is the battery ground - ring (battery ground / battery power out)
3- the metallic braided wire surrounding the white wire - sleeve (ground/current out)

tips?
solder a wire to the braided wire and it makes life easy.
make sure nothing is touching.
when in doubt.. clamp the wires using small gator clips. If you hear a tap from the pickup(s) tapping the top of the pickup with a screw driver you're fine.

EMG does have a wire solder free version of the EMG electronics that work for any pickup made after 2005-ish (they have the place for quick connect cables on the base of the pickups) . It comes with everything to install it. It's not cheap though.

or on ebay perhaps a pre-made harness. I'd sell you one as I sell stuff all over the world but I'm out of input jacks and quick connects.