Hey guys, so I recently picked up an Epiphone dot, just to try it out, (Pic below), and I fell in love with it.
That said, I'm having some problems with keeping it tune, before now I've been playing a nice HSS strat and it stayed in tune forever, so it could seem a little exaggerated to me, but none the less. I've tried changing the strings, not much difference. So i'm considering changing the Tuners/Machine heads. Any recommendations?

Also, for anyone with experience with them. Would you recommend a 59 or a Phat Cat in the neck?

(Invalid img)
Attachments:
1908443_1000236959992086_6250455691382204186_n.jpg
2 things:

In my experience, 99,9% of the time the tuners are blamed for tuning problems, the fault lies elsewhere. Namely in - the nut catching the strings or poor restringing technique. Lubricate the nut with some graphite, make sure it is well-cut and evaluate before doing anything drastic. You rarely see bad tuners on anything but the starter kit guitars today, which brings us to the next point:

The tuners on that thing are Grovers if I'm not mistaken. The single most high end feature on the whole Epiphone-line. Some of the better tuners on the market, and I'll doubt you'll be able to get better ones...
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
My dot is rock solid as far as tuning stability goes. The tuners are good like homer said. On mine i replaced the nut with a tusq though. I would check the nut and saddle slots for burrs and check your stringing technique.
Quote by HomerSGR
2 things:

In my experience, 99,9% of the time the tuners are blamed for tuning problems, the fault lies elsewhere. Namely in - the nut catching the strings or poor restringing technique. Lubricate the nut with some graphite, make sure it is well-cut and evaluate before doing anything drastic. You rarely see bad tuners on anything but the starter kit guitars today, which brings us to the next point:

The tuners on that thing are Grovers if I'm not mistaken. The single most high end feature on the whole Epiphone-line. Some of the better tuners on the market, and I'll doubt you'll be able to get better ones...

This man speaks the truth.
When you change a string you don't want to be winding it around the tuner 5 or 6 times. Around 1 or 2 (max) is generally the best. I'd take it in for a good setup and maybe get them to replace the nut. A professional setup is the best money you can spend on a guitar IMO. Grovers are excellent tuners, replacing them instead of spending money on a setup wouldn't solve your tuning stability problems.
Is the guitar subjected to big variations in humidity/temperature thoughout the day (or from one day to the next)? That's also something that makes the guitar go out of tune, and that's easily overlooked.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112