Hi all

I have 2 amps.

A Spider Valve MKII 112 with a Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker plugged into the 8 OHM socket.

A Marshall DSL40c with a Celestion Seventy 80 plugged into the 16 OHM socket.

I've not had the Marshall that long so the speaker/valves etc in that amp are still fairly new. At the moment I think that the Marshall still has quite a harsh brittle tone. I don't know whether that's down to the speaker and valves not being "broken" in yet properly or whether its just because the Seventy 80 is...well for want of better words...a crap speaker?

I have a cunning plan! What if I swap the speakers over?

Would this be ok as long as I plug the Vintage 30 into the 8 OHM socket on the Marshall and plug the Seventy 80 into the 16 OHM socket on the Spider Valve? I'm assuming from a bit of Googling that the Vintage 30 is the superior speaker? Also from reading around I've seen that a lot DSL40c owners have upgraded the speaker at the first opportunity.

I don't really want to spend any more money and the Marshall is now my main amp so I though this might be a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Last edited by Goochster at Nov 29, 2014,
It sounds like you know what you're doing. It's worth a try anyways, seem you have the speaker on hand. I'm a V30 fan.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
It'd be a good idea if ya ask me, yeah, 70/80's suck bad and a v30 would do the DSL good.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
yeah that should work just fine

and yeah not being broken in isn't going to help the 70/80, but it's got a reputation of being a bit mediocre as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
WGS makes good speakers for cheap. You could put the V30 in the DSL and get a WGS British Lead for the Spider. The British Lead is based on a Celestion Classic Lead, and they're relatively flat and really nice for modeling amps for that reason.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X