so its not that i cant solder but id like to be able to swap pickups easier. could quick connectors like crimp on style spade connectors be used like trim the end of the pickups wires crimp on a spade connector then do the same with the wires that run to the pots? to me that seems better than cutting it and twisting 2 bare wires together and adding electrical tape
yes you could do that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would personally take the extra 5 mins that it takes to warm up the iron, and properly solder it. You would still need to initially solder wires from each pot with the connectors on them; So unless you're planning on switching yours pups quite often, you'll actually spend longer installing the wires/clips then you would if you had just soldered the pups in like normal.

I just swapped the pups in my LP the other day, and it took me less then 15 mins to have the new pups in, and strings back on
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Nov 29, 2014,
alternatives for soldering are.. and this comes from an aspiring engineer.

Seymour Duncan Liberator system - screw in terminals are used
Seymour Duncan Blackout Modular system - an active variant of the liberator
Gibson has something but boy is it useless. Only works for their crappy pickups
EMG uses male Breakaway headers and female wire connectors soldered to a PCB which is soldered to the same volume pot.

The liberator system is about 20$ american. Comes with everything. But you got to solder in a tone knob and input jack.

the liberator works with every pickup on the market. 2 or 4 wire.

the cheapest way to do it if you're really confident in getting a good soldering connection is to prepare a wiring harness using screw in terminals. You don't need the liberator system just the screw in terminals on them. They are dirt cheap from China. Prepare the grounds and hot leads on them and they work. But they float inside the control cavity unless you use some tape or whatever. Not the best idea if you've got copper shielding or whatever inside the guitar. Screw in terminals are on ebay for like 2-ish dollar area. No extra knowledge. Ground is ground , hot lead is hot lead. It all depends on how you wire the guitar up. You could even do advanced wiring like series/parallel (hum cancelling coiltaps) if you really wanted to with this.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Nov 29, 2014,
I did something similar to my strat.
While I soldered everything in, I have several pick guards.
If I want to do a pickup swap. I just swap pickguards.
It just uses a simple TS (tip/sleeve) 1/8 (or 3/16) mono headphone type jack.
The only real time you would save with such a system would be waiting for the soldering iron to heat up. Really, if there's already solder on the joint you should be able to just heat it up and remove the old pickup wire, heat it up again and put the new wire in, maybe add a bit more solder if some came off with the removed wires.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
solder it. its cheaper and you get good joints and not a spade ccnnecter come our or short, problems.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i agree solder is the best way to go but im not very handy with a soldering iron i have a buddy that could do the job but he lives 12 miles away and to drive out every time i need a solder job done is costly on gas and time
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
i agree solder is the best way to go but im not very handy with a soldering iron i have a buddy that could do the job but he lives 12 miles away and to drive out every time i need a solder job done is costly on gas and time

have him help you learn. i am sure he wouldn't mind teaching you or giving you some pointers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/