Anybody use one to mix with?

I'm looking into buying a control surface with motorized faders for Presonus Studio One (and Reaper too I guess). Current plan is to buy a Mackie Control Universal Pro off of ebay for ~$350 when I get done more money. I would buy the Behringer BCF2000 because it's cheap, but the faders jump too much and are loud in the videos I've seen. The Korg nanokontrol2 looks nice at $60 but the faders aren't motorized, so that seems pointless for mixing.

If anyone has suggestions or wants to talk about them, go for it!
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
I'm sorta interested in this as well and have been looking around but haven't tried anything yet. What I've noticed so far are the Behringer X-Touch Compact (whenever that actually comes out!!), the Presonus Faderport or the Behringer Motor-49 keys.

For non-motorised faders, you could try the Novation Zero SL MkII

Again these are just options, but I'm curious anyway
Last edited by ThatGuy_17 at Dec 1, 2014,
I have a Mackie Control Universal.

It's a pretty cool little control surface, but it can take a while to setup for your workflow, especially with Reaper and Studio One. The Behringer is actually a pretty solid unit, but it doesn't have individual displays for each channel, which is a total deal breaker for me.

I actually rarely use my MCU, though. I'd use it more if I had 2 more of them, but I feel like, even with 8 channels, I find myself switching between channel banks too much and things just get confusing. I mostly bought mine to control my plugins and I find it more of a hassle to figure out where the hell I am and what I'm doing than to just click on the screen with the mouse and move parameters. To be fair, I don't think anything short of a full-blown console will really meet my needs at this point.

For automation, the motorized faders are a must. I wouldn't even consider buying anything else, if that's something you think you'll use frequently. The jog wheel on the MCU is a must, too IMO.

For me, I think just getting the BCR-2000 and a Faderport would be a decent compromise. It's cool to be able to control all of the volumes and automation at once with the motorized faders on the MCU, but I honestly rarely use more than one at a time. All the rotary knobs of the BCR-2000 would be more beneficial for me, for plugin control. Still no display, but considering they're so cheap, I think I could get used to it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I don't use one, partly because of space and partly because I don't think I'd use it enough to justify the expense for a decent one. Haven't tried the Behringer stuff, or higher end stuff but I had a Presonus Faderport for a few months and sold it on - the latency was far too noticeable when writing automation data, compared to just writing it in with a mouse (which is time-consuming but far more accurate as a result of no delay in writing) and the motorized fader I could use to write automation was pretty much the only reason I got it in the first place.

Fortunately, for me, the re-sell price for them has been pretty stable for years so I got back the same, maybe even more, than what I paid for it.

Would recommend trying some out, but from my own experience alone I wouldn't recommend the Faderport to anybody unless it integrates into their DAW a lot better than it does with Logic Pro (can't see how using something other than Mackie HUI system and another DAW would improve the latency of the fader though).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Does the Mackie or Behringer have motorized pan? It would seem odd to go from channel to channel without the pan knob changing. Though I guess I don't really need that feature, I usually set the pan with the mouse or do my automation and leave it.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Man, Behringer's control surfaces look awesome but I already have a touch screen and I put my mixer on there and it acts just like a control surface so that would be a silly purchase.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
I just use the DAW on-screen interface. I use a Kensington trackball mouse which allows smoother and more accurate dialing of knobs/sliders.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^Me too. I use the Bamboo to shape MIDI CC parameters to add realism to sample VI's.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana