I bought a peavey 6505 combo and I have never really liked the sound. I added a maxon od 808 pedal and a boss noise suppressor to help, but it did not help that much. I mostly like to play suicide silence or any heavy bands like that and I can't get close to that tone. What would you recommend to do
what guitar are you using and what tuning? the amp and pedal should certainly get you in the right ballpark for the tones you want.
What do you not like about the sound?

What is your EQ settings?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
still have stock speakers in it?
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
I don't like that the sound is not good for chugging. It just sounds weak. I have played with the eq settings and i still can't get a good sound
what about the gain settings? you may be using to much. drop A hmmm.... perhaps you aren't getting the bass response out of your speaker.
Quote by Lgwillie
I don't like that the sound is not good for chugging. It just sounds weak. I have played with the eq settings and i still can't get a good sound

That isn't answering my question. What are your EQ settings?

What pickups are in your guitar?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Never mind, I want to help, but your answers are so vague that it is impossible
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm sorry I'm not at home to loom at my eq setting right now I can look later. Will changing the tubes and the speaker in the amp help with tone
It may, but post back when you can look at your gear and give more detailed description so your not needlessly throwing money at your issue
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
With that kind of gear, I'm almost positive it's either your strings, picking technique, or amp settings. With that amp + Maxon 808 you should have no problem at all getting into Suicide Silence territory.
This sounds more like a user-interface problem than a gear problem. Swapping tubes and speakers can't fix that.

Find a skilled guitarist with similar rig and tone you are after and set your amp just like his. Usually when an amp tone turns to mush with no definition it's just too much gain.

This guy gets pretty close and he shows you his settings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq0NIeOoiBI
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 29, 2014,
Keep in mind SS and similar bands gets a lot of their chug from the bass guitar and studio magic.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I've dicked around with my buddy's 6505 combo a few times. Similar set up to yours, EMGs, OD in front with an NS-2. He's put (more like I've put in for him) a V30 in it and retubed it with all JJs. Still can't get a great sound out of it without scooping the mids on the lead channel to be honest.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
6505+, boosted with od pedal, EMGs, and still can't get a decent chug??? I'd recommend seeing a doctor because I think your hands are broken.

On a more serious note, and assuming you're not running your gain on 10 WITH the boost and EMGs -- an EQ pedal in the loop will work wonders. This is especially helpful if you're already running other effects in the loop. Is your NS-2 in the loop? If so, you should be aware that that amp has an extremely shitty buffer in the effects loop that cuts a TON of bass and adds fizz. It's my only complaint about the amp, actually. But having a quality EQ pedal in the loop enables you to correct any tonal problems that buffer introduces. Try the amp with just the boost and nothing in the loop. If the chugs sound better, that could be your problem.

Also, make sure it's turned up to at least 1.5 on the post gain. It starts to really open up at that point and gain clarity as well as low end punch. I have not gotten more brutal brutalz out of any other amp I've tried, and that includes most of the typical high gain amps. But again, and I'm not joking this time; maybe it's your playing?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Nov 30, 2014,
Make sure your EMG battery isn't dead. A dead battery will absolutely make or break your tone.

KailM knows what he's talking about when it comes to 6505s.

To add, if you post gain up is too high, add an EQ pedal in the loop and turn the level slider down - you'll get low volumes while having your amp still have the opened up sound. There are a ton of small shitty design quriks in the 6505s. I've had a 5150 and a 6505 and gotten rid of both for one thing or another I get pissed off about with it. Probably gonna try a 6534+ at some point though. Ha. It's love hate.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Marshall MG?

nah, seriously though, try different speakers, cabs, pickups, or even look at your playing style, as the way you play can change your sound dramatically
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Turn down the Pre, crack up the Post to at least 3.
Set your OD pedal to minimum gain and maximum output.
The 6505 doesn't start sounding good until you push the power tubes, then it becomes the legendary monster you want it to be.

Try this: Set the Post at about 4, presence and resonance at noon, low, mid, high at 6ish, then start with the Pre at 2 and add gain until it sounds right. Tweak to taste. Good luck!
Let us know the results.
^^While I don't disagree that it will sound good with the post gain on 3 or 4, that kind of volume isn't necessary to get the 112 or any 6505 for that matter into its ideal tone zone. I have the option of playing mine as loud as I want whenever I want (through a 412 cab, no less), and I rarely turn it above "2." At 1.75 on the post gain it starts to sound its best, and at 2 it sounds that way only it moves a little more air. After that, it's just MORE of the same tone, and quite deafening in a house. "3" would easily be gig volume and give any drummer a run for his money. "4?" Well, you do the math.

I do agree that with his EMGs and TS 808, his preamp gain doesn't need to be turned up past 3-4. And the louder he plays, the less gain he needs. I have actually found that once I turn it up to 2.5 -- 3, I only need the gain on 3 to be fully-saturated, yet clear and ultra-punchy. Turning the gain up past that actually reduces the brutality, which is counter-intuitive to some people until they try it.

Anyway, I'm not sure TS is even reading his own thread anyway. He hasn't responded in awhile.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I'm not really sure what to do. I'm going to replace the tubes and if that doesn't work I'm going to be lost
Quote by Lgwillie
I'm not really sure what to do. I'm going to replace the tubes and if that doesn't work I'm going to be lost

You've been given a lot of viable options. You really shouldn't go and blow money on tubes. That is almost certainly not your problem.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Never mind, I want to help, but your answers are so vague that it is impossible

+1. I'm tossing in the towel on this one...
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
My two biggest suggestions would be to replace the speaker and buy a Sonic Stomp. That pedal is what made me fall in love with my amp.

But that's my opinion of course.
I amp setting are low-6 mid-6 high-6 pre amp-7 resonance-5 presence -7. On my maxon od 808
The drive is 0. Balance the whole way up, and tone at about noon. My boss ns2 has threshold turned up and is turned on mute
Have you checked your EMG battery yet?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I changed the battery a couple of months ago and their was no change in tone. Even if I turn down the pregain it sounds muddy
I see a lot of people using pod 500's, but I'm not sure i want to waste my money one it
Quote by Lgwillie
I amp setting are low-6 mid-6 high-6 pre amp-7 resonance-5 presence -7. On my maxon od 808
The drive is 0. Balance the whole way up, and tone at about noon. My boss ns2 has threshold turned up and is turned on mute

Your preamp should not be anywhere near 7 with EMGs AND a boost. I run a similar setup except with a TS-9 as a boost and Seymour Duncan Blackouts (also active, like EMGs). In addition, I'm even using a few lower-gain tubes. I STILL run my preamp anywhere from 3-4 TOPS. And with the preamp from 3.5 - 4 it is definitely in death/black metal territory; no need for any more gain. It just gets muddier from there. You're running way too much gain, dude.

But a few more things -- your EQ settings aren't bad. However, the presence knob really doesn't do much until you turn it up to 7 or more. That might give you a little more bite and clarity. Also, if your NS2 is on mute, how are you hearing anything at all?

Also, you mentioned that you tune to drop-A or thereabouts. That's pretty low tuning. You may have to cut the bass a bit more/increase the mids/highs. But I also ask what your string gauges are -- because if you're running anything lighter than .12 - .60 gauge strings, that too will result in mud. I'd personally use .13 -.64 gauge if I tuned that low.

And finally, and perhaps most importantly -- you still haven't mentioned how LOUD you're playing. Where is your post-gain knob set? That amp will sound a bit muddy if the post-gain isn't above 1 (though it shouldn't be terribly muddy even then). As you go past 1, the muddyness goes away pretty quickly and by the time you reach "2" there shouldn't be any mud whatsoever (and the walls will be shaking at that point as well

I wouldn't rush to BUY anything just yet. Even the speaker -- though that could help. I personally never had a real problem with the Sheffield speaker.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Lgwillie
I changed the battery a couple of months ago and their was no change in tone. Even if I turn down the pregain it sounds muddy

doesn't mean that the battery isn't dead now. change it to a NEW battery.

from experience BBE sonic stomp, makes it sound good for a while, but really it just cuts you out of the mix. kind of like scooping the mids.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Have you ever changed the tubes?

Does the amp volume work normally? If not, then probably bad power tubes. If the volume works fine and the tone is just bad, then probably bad preamp tubes (at least V1).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by KailM
And finally, and perhaps most importantly -- you still haven't mentioned how LOUD you're playing. Where is your post-gain knob set? That amp will sound a bit muddy if the post-gain isn't above 1 (though it shouldn't be terribly muddy even then). As you go past 1, the muddyness goes away pretty quickly and by the time you reach "2" there shouldn't be any mud whatsoever (and the walls will be shaking at that point as well

+1

Quote by trashedlostfdup
doesn't mean that the battery isn't dead now. change it to a NEW battery.

from experience BBE sonic stomp, makes it sound good for a while, but really it just cuts you out of the mix. kind of like scooping the mids.

Then try this.

Quote by Offworld92
Have you ever changed the tubes?

Does the amp volume work normally? If not, then probably bad power tubes. If the volume works fine and the tone is just bad, then probably bad preamp tubes (at least V1).

Then maybe look at this.

I thought the 6505+112 combo was pretty fantastic for what it delivers. You really shouldn't be having any issues if you have the amp volume up a bit. You'll know. The muddiness will go away and the mids (cut to your chest) will frickin knock you over.