I'm a beginner singer who has NOT been able to sing beyond the limits of my "speaking voice" and no matter what I do, I cannot train my vocal chords to stop straining. I've watched many youtube tutorial vids, read many, MANY how to articles, the whole nine freaking yards, and I cannot for the life of me stop straining. Is there a reason why my vocal chords are so lazy that they cannot stop with the freaking straining? It's very frustrating. Thanks a bunch.
You have to breathe properly, support, have proper posture and narrow your vowels. You also have to be relaxed. Dont push. Its not something you can learn in a short perioid of time. I have been taking vocal lessons for almost a year now, and i still strain when i get to the high notes. And speaking of vocal lessons, get yourself a techer. Your progress will be much faster, and you will not accidently destroy your voice int he process. A real teacher can see and hear you singing in front of him and figure out exactly what you are doing wrong and help you correct it. And with singing, that is the only real way to go. With online tutorials and how to guides, it will take you years to get the same ammount of progress that you would get with a vocal teacher in a matter of weeks or months.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Voice lessons... before you break something.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
You're using the wrong muscles. It's kind of unintuitive, but you actually have a lot of room up there where you're straining. It's the whole singing from the diaphragm thing.

It's hard to explain properly. Eric arceneaux I find is a good vocal coach on YouTube, but you'll have to find the right videos that will make it click for you.

You should be able to switch smooth into your head voice. Don't push harder. It's easy. Easier, but different. What you're doing is wrong. Try other things. You never need to strain. It should be open free and easy.
^I cant say i really find it easy, especially at the start. You have to coordinate a bunch of different elements, like breathing and proper vocalization to open up your throat. And since every person is different, the process is not the same everywhere, so its hard to put into words. Its basicly about the feeling in your body while you sing, and it requires the entire body to work properly. Its literaly impossible to explain and teach right away, you have to try and try and try and see what works. And thats where a teacher comes in, he can tell you if you are on the right path or not, and helps you by pointing out what you need to do.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Strange how really great singers can do everything so effortlessly, even with no training. I would call that talent, more than any other instrument that takes years of practice.

Stay within your range until you get stronger, move slowly out of range as you can
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 30, 2014,
Quote by gorkyporky
^I cant say i really find it easy, especially at the start. You have to coordinate a bunch of different elements, like breathing and proper vocalization to open up your throat. And since every person is different, the process is not the same everywhere, so its hard to put into words. Its basicly about the feeling in your body while you sing, and it requires the entire body to work properly. Its literaly impossible to explain and teach right away, you have to try and try and try and see what works. And thats where a teacher comes in, he can tell you if you are on the right path or not, and helps you by pointing out what you need to do.

I meant easy as in the feel, not the difficulty. You don't have to work your muscles hard. when you get the right technique, it is easy. Of course, you can improve your power etcetera with practice, but the correct technique is not something you have power against, going up in pitch should be effortless, No strain.

I would say the same about golf. A golf swing needs to be an easy swing. There is nothing nothing to fight. But most people find golf very difficult. If you do it right, there is no resistance, no struggle, no strain. Just simple and easy. Unless you wanna sing like front man of AC/DC.

So, I'm not saying that singing is easy. It comes more naturally to some than others, but there should be no strain. It should be free and clear.

It's hard to explain on a forum, but if you strain, you are using the wrong muscles, the wrong technique. Going up in pitch should be easy, right up through your head voice. Easy in the kind of neck/back of throat area. Your upper body though will be working. It's not like lifting weights, where you reach your limit, and so you keep doing what you're doing to get stronger so it becomes easy.

If you are straining, you are doing the wrong thing. There is a more open, more free, easier way to go up in pitch right through to your head voice.

When you strain, it's a strain in the back of your throat/top of neck kind of area. All of that should be free and clear. We are accustomed to using the muscles that strain, to go up in pitch. When you do, it gets tough, and you feel your limit and it gets hard, and you need to force more. If you do it right, then it feels free and easy, and you realize you could just keep going right on up into your head voice.