I normally strum with my fingers, but I've heard picks are better. At the moment I use a Tortex Wedge .60 mm, and it's horrible for strumming. What is a cheap pick I can use for strumming on my acoustic?
Most picks are like 50 cents (in euros, anyway). If that isn't cheap enough.. then I don't really know... Tortex by Dunlop, many Planet Waves and other brands go to that category.
I use Ultex Sharps myself, which are 75 cents per pick, if I recall correctly.

I find the regular size picks the best and preferably bit lighter gauge. I go for anything between .50 to .80. Depends on the song and how I want to play.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Nov 29, 2014,
Quote by Sakke
Most picks are like 50 cents (in euros, anyway). If that isn't cheap enough.. then I don't really know...

I find the regular size picks the best and preferably bit lighter gauge. I go for anything between .50 to .80. Depends on the song and how I want to play.

I know they're 50 cents, but some people go as far as recommending me 30 dollar picks...

Anyway, are there any specific materials better for strumming? My current pick, which as I said earlier, is also .60, doesn't work for strumming for me. It just doesn't slide through all the strings smoothly enough for me.
Go buy a bunch and figure out what you like. 30 dollar picks are not a usual suggestion unless you're hanging out at the gear page. Don't do that.

The cheap ones are fine.
Quote by Roc8995
Go buy a bunch and figure out what you like. 30 dollar picks are not a usual suggestion unless you're hanging out at the gear page. Don't do that.

Don't buy 30 dollar picks or don't hang out at the gear page?

Is that a trick question?

EDIT: I think you can buy packs which have a range of picks in them. Might be slightly cheaper than buying them singly. I know I got a dunlop one free with my acoustic, so I'm guessing they sell it separately. They're all on the thinner side, but since you want it for acoustic strumming that should be ok.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 29, 2014,
A lot of stores around here have a big 'pick buffet' display so you can try a bunch of different kinds without having to buy a pack of each.
I personally use Dunlop Ultex Sharp .73 for my acoustic playing. A few years ago I needed picks so I went to a local store and bought one of each, this is the one I've kept buying
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Quote by Roc8995
A lot of stores around here have a big 'pick buffet' display so you can try a bunch of different kinds without having to buy a pack of each.

yeah same here

I just meant you can buy multipacks with a range of different gauges and styles of picks which might cost less than buying picks singly. Of course, if you narrow down what you like to 2 or 3 different ones, doing it the way you said is the way to go.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why don't you ask Dunlop for pick samples? It worked for me lol and now I'm waiting > I kinda prefer the very thin picks for my acoustic strumming as it balances out the "boomy-ness" of my guitar. I've tested a lot, and thin picks does it for me. I think it also depends on the type of guitar you have as well. Picks do have an effect on tone.
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
I personally use Dunlop Ultex Sharp .73 for my acoustic playing. A few years ago I needed picks so I went to a local store and bought one of each, this is the one I've kept buying

I use that exact one for everything actually
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I would personally recommend the Dunlop .88 tortex picks. I use them on my guitar and bass. Not to big for guitar, not to small for bass. But I'm getting off topic.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
There's a gizmo called the Pick Punch. About $25 ($19.99 at Thinkgeek.com http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e91b/?itm=customlabel0Electronics_%26_Gadgets_%7C_Music_Gear&rkgid=1453728069&cpg=ogplahe1&source=google_home_electronics&adpos=1o1&creative=46958729205&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQiA-uWjBRChu9ie05m5ipgBEiQAuHIuK79rsG_8u04Oxk-bafk3EVnUG2zTCqrCtmQKl-ZEnm4aAiiF8P8HAQ

They will also sell you different kinds of material to punch out, but you can actually get about a half dozen picks from a credit card or a Starbucks gift card. They work pretty well, actually, and I don't think you can get picks much cheaper than that. Some folks glue more than one punched-out pick together and shape them a bit with some sandpaper.
finger nails are the cheapest. Other than that, all that really matters is thickness and shape. Try different ones out. The feel and tone you get will be different. Don't spend any kind of real money on a pick.
for acoustic i really like the thinner dunlop nylon picks. <$4 free shipping from MF.

i missed how stores used to be where the had like a bin full of picks and you could just grab whatever was in there for a $.25 or something. you could get lots of different brands. no shops do that any more down here. probably due to the immature jackasses that probably just stole them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/