I am a budding guitarist in my first band (at 44). I have an old japanese made Squire from 91-92. I dont' have an electric guitar amp (currently using an acoustic amp at home and someone elses amp at practice) and I have no effect pedals. I have about $800 in my budget. Part of me wants a new guitar. Part of me wants an amp and part of me wants to start playing with pedals. What is the next logical purchase? Will it matter if I buy an amp now that sounds good with my Squire when I do purchase another guitar? Will pedal sounds change at all with different guitar/amp setups? Is there a combination that lets me do all three that makes sense (I realize this is a broad subject but humor me if you have a thought on it)?

Cyndie
With that budget, I'm sure you could fit all three of them in...

What sort of stuff do you like?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Yes, if you change your amp- or other parts of your signal path- your tones will change. However, your amp is the base of your tonal pyramid. Start there, and you can build intelligently and with fewer surprises than otherwise.

For example, if an amp sounds good with your Squier, it will probably sound better with a superior version of that same guitar.

What kind of stuff are you playing? And is your band trying to gig, or is it just for fun?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 29, 2014,
^^ + ^ Yeah.

And yeah everything affects everything else, in terms of sound. So if you know you're upgrading everything it pays to have half an idea on what all you're thinking of, just to be sure it all sounds good together.

Don't worry overly, most good stuff sounds good together, but some stuff just works really well together all the same.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 29, 2014,
Oh yeah, are you willing to buy used?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

In order of importance of the items you mentioned:
1. Amp
2. Guitar
3. Pedals

If your guitar is a total Piece of shit (won't stay in tune, uncomfortable to play (due to bad neck usually or something else that makes it hard to play) ), you can swap put Guitar in the #1 spot.
NOTHING stops the desire to play guitar than a guitar that is difficult to play.

Have a look here as well:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1588141

Especially this part :

How to ask for advice -

What ...(Insert Gear?)... Threads

(what you should include to get good advice)

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
With a budget of US$800 you'll be able to get an awesome used rig for that much.
Lucky Yanks and their cheap used gear
Thanks for the input guys.
I like playing blues and rock.
I am currently a rythym player with aspirations of doing leads.
I also play acoustic and have done an open mic with just me singing and my acoustic. Would like to gig like that as well.
The band is currently just for fun but starting to look at doing an open mic night.
I would eventually like to work with a band that gigs locally whether it is this one or another one.
I am willing to buy used locally. I don't want to buy anything I can't touch and hear first.
I live in Northern Virginia (DC Suburbs).
could you list some blues and rock guitarists/bands whose tones you like and want to be able to emulate?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
clapton, petty, walsh, CCR, Eagles, hendrix, bonnie raitt that's just off the top.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 $479
www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-Used-Marshall-JCM2000-DSL401-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110709938-i4067499.gc

This will do what you want and is fully gig able

The MIJ Squiers are good guitars, maybe get a new set of pickups or a set of locking tuners. The Line 6 M5 is a great pedal because you can adjust what type of FX it is so you can experiment. Zoom has a few of these type of pedals also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd aim for a (probably used) combo amp that gives good clean tones as its default, that you can muck around with using pedals. Names that usually pop up are Fender, Vox, Peavey and Mesa/Boogie.

Carvin belongs in that conversation as well. The Vintage16 is well in your price range new. The Nomad and Belair are also within it, but may be more than you need to spend. The Vintage16 should be plenty loud enough, plus leave you enough room in your budget to buy a pedal or two alongside your guitar purchase.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/vintageseries.php

Caveat: Carvin is mail-order/online only unless you live in San Diego. Don't let that out you off, though- they make good stuff.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 $479
www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-Used-Marshall-JCM2000-DSL401-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110709938-i4067499.gc

This will do what you want and is fully gig able

The MIJ Squiers are good guitars, maybe get a new set of pickups or a set of locking tuners. The Line 6 M5 is a great pedal because you can adjust what type of FX it is so you can experiment. Zoom has a few of these type of pedals also

+3.1415.

here is what I would do if i was in your case.

i would set up the guitar if you know how, if you don't its worth $40 for a total setup. the guitar will play fine.

if you prefer humbuckers, you could probably find a Seymour Duncan JB Jr. or hot rails or somthing similar. they are a humbucker that is sized to fit in a single coil spot. shop used on ebay. i would guess this would be a good choice. you only hvave to solder two joints really.

here is an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rails-For-Strat-SHR-1-Bridge-Pickup-/151502558650?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item23464195ba

$40 perfect feedback.

and get a Digitech bad monkey $40 and not hard to find. its a boost.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by cnd1010

I like playing blues and rock.

Ideally it'd be something tube by Fender, probably Hot Rod Deville 212. I'd look at 30 watters and up, 2x12 configuration.
This is just a touch above your budget, probably will get it for about $600 used.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-hot-rod-deville-212-iii-60w-2x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

Otherwise, few other amps to check out:
Traynor Blue YCS50, Traynor YCV40, YCV50
http://www.amazon.com/Traynor-YCS50-Amplifier-Celestion-Vintage/dp/B001QA314U

Other to check out: Marshall DSL401C, Egnater Tweaker, Peavey Classic 30, Crate Palomino V32, Vox AC30, Carvin Belair/Tweed Series, Mesa Boogie 2:25 Express, Peavey Valveking, etc...

This is a great deal under budget:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BELAIR
Last edited by diabolical at Dec 5, 2014,
The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12- which I own- is a little smaller, and only 40 watts- but is also a little cheaper, and thus, probably a better option for you. I own one, as does my guitar teacher.

I'm no great shakes, but that is his go-to amp for blues, jazz, C&W, pop and classic rock gigs all over Texas,

Since you have a guitar and no amp, I suggest getting an amp at this stage. As people mentioned, a fender hot rod deluxe is a great amp as it is versatile - it has 3 channels so you get a clean sound, a crunch sound and a distortion. This makes the amp good for blues and rock and has the capability for lead playing. It also has a built in reverb and effects loop. At 40W its loud for rehersals and gigs.

After a nice amp i would suggest get a nice guitar. I play a squire throug my fender HRD and it sounds dull. as soon as i plug in the american standard fender the sound is a complete different story. the pedals should be the last thing on your mind as they are to compliment the amp and the guitar. I know they are tempting as the price is lower you would see yourself getting new toys more frequently, but a nice amp and a nice guitar should be the foundations of your sound!
however on the hot rod, the OD channel is IMO useless. if you want all gain by pedals its fine, but you may as well have a single channel amp that is better.IMO.

look into the peavey classic 30. really cheap, but sounds good.

it all comes down to your sound. go play some amps, hit up some stores. listen to demos. see what you like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I agree with Rob. JCM2000 DSL401 is a great suggestion. Just get one made after 2003. Don't be tempted to go for a new DSL40C, they're crap. Find a used DSL401.
The Classic 30 is another good suggestion too.

Another option would be a used Randall RM20 or RM22. And stick something like this in it:
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=supra-bold
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/plexitweed.html
If you can find an RM22 for a good price you can run both. RM50 is another good choice, it also takes two modules.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
however on the hot rod, the OD channel is IMO useless. if you want all gain by pedals its fine, but you may as well have a single channel amp that is better.IMO.

Yep- I love my HRD, but I avoid the dirt channel. It is pretty bad. The only quality distortion I get comes from my pedals.

...which is why I'm looking at getting an Orange and/or Mesa.

Not sure if I've mentioned this or not but Craig has some mods for the HRD dirt channel. Drop him a line.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks, but I'll stick with it as it is...at lest for now. I'm not much of one for modding stuff. I've only swapped pups on 1 guitar in 7 years of owning electrics. And that was because the pickups on that guitar were defective.

Your enjoyment of the Rio Grande pickup I recommended, however, has convinced me to get some Dirty Harry HBs for my Malden Bad Karma. There may be others I will mod, but that one will be first. It's a perfect platform: stock, it is a mahogany LPclone with independently splittable HBs. The Dirty Harrys will just kick that up a huge notch.

Quote by Cathbard
Not sure if I've mentioned this or not but Craig has some mods for the HRD dirt channel.

Does he disconnect the channel-changing switch?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know any details but I think it's just a couple of value changes. You'd have to ask Craig. He swears that the second channel can be improved dramatically and Craig knows his shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Carvin belongs in that conversation as well. The Vintage16 is well in your price range new. The Nomad and Belair are also within it, but may be more than you need to spend. The Vintage16 should be plenty loud enough, plus leave you enough room in your budget to buy a pedal or two alongside your guitar purchase.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/vintageseries.php

Caveat: Carvin is mail-order/online only unless you live in San Diego. Don't let that out you off, though- they make good stuff.

I'll second that !! .... I'm so happy with my Carvin V3m head that the Vintage 16 or head version of the Belair called a VT50 will be my next amp purchase , Carvin can't be beat for the money
Quote by Cathbard
I don't know any details but I think it's just a couple of value changes. You'd have to ask Craig. He swears that the second channel can be improved dramatically and Craig knows his shit.

I daresay it can, that was just a (bad) joke
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?