Hey guys, I'm long overdue for an upgrade. I'm looking to buy a new acoustic that will last me for a good while. My budget is up to $1000 (firm, I'm a poor college student).
On to business.
I'm looking for an electric/acoustic (preferably a cuttaway)
I play anything from rock, to worship, to bluegrass.
I live about halfway between St. Cloud and Minneapolis, MN.
I'm looking for something that has a defined bass tone, but punchy mids and bright highs. I'd rather have a good all around sound than great bass or great highs. So, versatility is a must.
I prefer thicker necks if that helps.

The more options you guys give me, the better. I won't have the money until summer, so I will have plenty of time to check out and play different models.

Inb4 go to Guitar Center and check them out. I already have, but given my situation, I can't get out as often as I'd like. I'd like to know what I'm looking for before heading out. I have no experience with acoustics in this price range, so I am turning to your vast wisdom.
Thanks for any help.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
There is a plethora of great options by Martin that falls in the $999 and under category though their necks tend to fall on the thinner side. Girth aside though I feel like a lot of their electric acoustics meet the sound specifics that you're looking for. I'm partial to their black 0EX and similar guitars so if you see any at Guitar Center I'd recommend playing them to get a feel for whether or not you like Martin-style guitars. Taylor and Gibson are great options if you can find what I guess would be considered an entry-level electric acoustic from either.
These days, if you are able to ignore the name on the headstock, $1000 will get you a very good guitar. Look at some of the PacRim made instruments made by the likes of: Cort, Crafter, LAG, Tanglewood, Yamaha, etc. Some top quality guitars at great prices.
Many modern inexpensive guitars sound great and are well made, as in Garthman's list, so I tend to look for what I consider good design features, especially resettable neck joints. So I would add Recording King and Blueridge, both of which have resettable neck joints and a good reputation. However, the first place I would look is the Taylor 100 and 200 series, eg 114 and 214, which have bolt-on necks that can be very easily and cheaply reset.
Thanks guys!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Tony Done
Many modern inexpensive guitars sound great and are well made, as in Garthman's list, so I tend to look for what I consider good design features, especially resettable neck joints. So I would add Recording King and Blueridge, both of which have resettable neck joints and a good reputation. . . . . . . t.

I would have included Recording King in my list - I am a big admirer of their guitars - but I thought they only offered acoustics.

However they do a couple of electro-acoustics models. I've not played those particular models so cannot comment on them, but I have played quite a few of their other models and all have been great guitars.

http://www.recordingking.com/products/guitars-all-models/guitars-rd06-ce

http://www.recordingking.com/products/guitars-all-models/guitars-rom06-cfe4

(The ROM-06 is a nice looking guitar)

I've not played a Blueridge either but people do speak well of them.