Restringing a Floyd Rose, yeah I'm sure the first instinct is to say "use Google" But I've come to ask real people on what (I think) I know so far.

So my high E string broke while tuning up, so every string is out of tune now correct?
So we would go about it this way, right?

1. Undo locking nut at headstock
2. Free broken string from headstock and the saddle
3. Restring high E at the saddle and headstock again
4. Stretch string
5. Tune all strings to E Standard using: Low E>A>Low E>A>D>Low E>A>D>G etc method
6. Lock nut
7. Use fine tuners to make sure it's still at E Standard?

Also, I'm very curious. Let's say the headstock nut is locked, what would happen if you started tightening or loosening the string at the headstock considerably? What kind of damage can that do? I may or may not have did that, not to the point where a string broke, but enough to ask that question. Thanks.
Last edited by NothingGood at Dec 1, 2014,
Did it break near the tuner or near the bridge?

your guitar will be out of tune if a string snaps. You're balancing roughly 120lbs of pressure.

Lets assume you have the same string size on the bridge as it was factory and same tuning. The most important tip is to lock the string the last quarter turn with the short end of an allen key this is very important.

lets assume you didn't put the right string size and tried a different tuning than the factory settings. Well the bridge talks to you. It sounds weird but it does.

so firstly grab a tuner and pretend that your bridge is fine and see how far your string will go into tune. Say you get the other 5 strings to pitch starting low and going to high so say EADGB.... then the E is only going to say a low C (2 steps below stadard) , you hear it and know you're a few notes below so here's what you do now.

either ...
1- if it is "naturally" in a position where the bridge would be pushing down like you wanted a lower sound there is too much pressure

2- if it is naturally in a position where the bridge is pulling up like you wanted higher notes than there isn't enough pressure.

in the end you want a flat surface like this ______________ looking sidways at the bridge.

before adjusting the screws though be absolutely sure in this next step. Not like the guitar will destroy itself or anything but just it saves you a lot of time and effort. Assuming now the guitar is almost in tune like say ...again ...EADGB than the out of tune C for the high E this is what you do. This process even works if your guitar isn't say that C note this fixes all problems. I've had to do a lot of guess work on floyd roses over the years.

more the less think of the springs inside the guitar body when you take the back plate off as tuners. MEASURE the distance between the two screw heads and the end of the routing prior to adjusting a floyd rose....after you measure you want to either tighten or loosen the two springs.

so when do you tighten. In this case turning that C note into an E
or trying a thinner string size or higher tuning
when do you loosen if the guitar is too high of pitch like it prefers to go in standard F
or another reason to loosen is trying a lower tuning or thicker string size

my last tip when re-adjusting the springs with those two screws after every adjustment you want to put the guitar in pitch (as close to standard lets say) as possible. Again though measure before you adjust the springs. 1.5cm from the end of the routing is my comfort zone.
I broke it at the headstock while tuning to E Standard from what I believe was E Drop D, which I'm now being told is a no-no. Since I've never restrung a FR before, have any "rule of thumb" on how tight I should lock in the saddle near the bridge? I don't want that thing to be too tight to damage anything, but I don't want it to be loose to the point it's going to fly out and put an eye out. Thanks.
If one string breaks, block the bridge in the position where the remaining strings is in tune if possible. That way you can just tune all strings to pitch, stretch them, remove the block and spend 1 minute fine-tuning rather than 20 minutes tuning all 6 strings up to pitch over and over again.

The same principle works when you're setting the bridge angle, just block the bridge where you want it to be, tune the guitar to pitch, remove the block and adjust the trem-claw until the guitar is back in tune.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Dec 1, 2014,
If it's a fr special I would not go to tight on the saddles or any of the screws. Ive found Running the allen screw in and out a few times on the saddle and nut before you tighten, it will flatten the string, hold better and strip out less. Drop tuning is impossible on the fly, unless you have an original with the d-tuna. To fix this problem I have 5 guitars with 5 tunings. Most people's first instinct, give up! Took me a few times when I was younger, do what tallwood 13 said and you'll get it. Find a set of strings you like and stick with the same gauge, makes it easier too.