So this got dropped off to me last night. It's an Ibanez RGIR20E (pretty sure thats right)

First first for me! Posting images on UG Lemme know if it doesn't work.

This guitar is pretty sweet. I sold my 7 string S series to fund it and I couldn't be happier. Everything on it is super solid and it feels like a really high quality instrument.
I can't speak for the factory setup as I bought it second hand, but it plays super nice. I've never owned a 6 string Ibanez so most of my preconceived ideas on how this guitar should feel were based of my 7. The neck on this is really not what I expected. My 7 had an ultra thin and flat neck and this is totally different. It doesn't have the flat spot that I had expected. Is still far from chunky though. Just a much more regular profile than what I had expected.

Sound wise, this resonates pretty nicely acoustically. Spring noise from the tremolo is pretty bad, but I'll be blocking that soon, so I'm not concerned. Speaking of the tremolo, this guitar holds tune really well. I've been playing it all day and it hasn't really gone badly out.
This is my first guitar with active pickups. I didn't really have high hopes for them from previous experience playing friends' guitars and guitars in stores but they aren't terrible.
The neck pickup's pretty nice for cleans. Has a nice full bottom end with a fair bit of sparkle and clarity in the top. Distorted tones are pretty meh though. Finding it really hard not to sound compressed and fizzy. The bridge pickup seems to lack any note definition with any amount of gain and turns into a sizzly mess with any 5 or 6 string chords. I am pleased with the bottom end, however. Nice and tight, but still has good depth. Will probably change these to a passive set and turn the kill switch into a coil split.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the guitar and it has definitely become my first guitar. Sorry that kinda turned into an EMG review.

tl;dr: Got an Ibanez Iron Label. It's pretty rad. Not an EMG fan though.

Edit: sorry for super bad pics. Only had my phone on me.
[404]Signature not found
Last edited by jmaguire at Nov 30, 2014,
I'm usually not a fan of Ibanez guitars, but I'm digging the "stealthy" and sleek, minimalistic look of this one. And that binding looks great.

HNGD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Nice!

HNGD
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
why block it? change tuning a lot? I guess I'd prefer a well blocked FR and locking nut over a normal hardtail and tuning with the machine heads any day.
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've heard good things about the 18v mod for the emgs. You might give that a try before ditching them all together. I'm not an emg fan myself, but If you can do the wiring yourself, it'll save you a lot of money on new pickups, or, if you still don't like them, you can sell the 18v set of emgs. Just my 2¢
Quote by dannyryan007
I've heard good things about the 18v mod for the emgs. You might give that a try before ditching them all together. I'm not an emg fan myself, but If you can do the wiring yourself, it'll save you a lot of money on new pickups, or, if you still don't like them, you can sell the 18v set of emgs. Just my 2¢

+1

The 18v really, really improves the EMG's tone
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Tempoe
why block it? change tuning a lot? I guess I'd prefer a well blocked FR and locking nut over a normal hardtail and tuning with the machine heads any day.

I'm not changing tuning a whole lot. Just from drop C# to D# standard really.
I just don't use a trem at all and it can just be annoying, putting it out of tune with my palm and stuff and for the little tuning changes I do.
It's just easier for me to block it really. Think I'll buy a tremol-no.
I do really like the feel of the bridge though. So smooth and comfy. Better than any hard tails in this price range, really.
Edit: I think I might try the 18v mod. Not really sure how I'll get the second battery in though. Do you think that'll kill a bit of the fizziness?
[404]Signature not found
It might. I don't know much about the Floyd rose setup, but, if you're blocking the vibrato, you could probably use the spring cavity for one or both batteries.
Hmm. I'm thinking I'll put the extra battery inside the control cavity. That way all the wiring is together-ish.
[404]Signature not found