Hi there

New here, I'm not a guitarist but my 15yo daughter is. She is getting pretty good on her purpley-blue Squier electric strat and I want to get a her a decent strap for Christmas. She plays a lot maybe 2-4 hours a day 4-5 days a week so I'm after something durable and comfortable and am happy to pay a bit extra.

Music tastes: heavy rock, metal, blues, blues rock

I was thinking maybe something like this?
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/levys-guitar-strap-ms26-black/24706

What do you experienced guitarists think?

Cheers!
It'd kinda be like asking what gloves to get her - while some gloves are more favored than others, it's greatly a matter of preference, so was I you I'd much rather bring her to a music stuff shop, have her try some and then tell you what she finds most comfortable.

Me, I like fender straps.
Cheap, soft and fairly good quality.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I prefer soft leather straps, preferably a bit wide to spread the guitar's weight on the whole clavicle.

EDIT: didn't read the whole OP -- yes, that Levys one you linked to seems pretty good.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Nov 30, 2014,
Quote by Linkerman
I prefer soft leather straps, preferably a bit wide to spread the guitar's weight on the whole clavicle.

this is important for heavier guitars (probably not a strat though). I ended up with shoulder issues after having a thin strap on my bass.

And like James_Coe said, cliplocks are also a good idea if she wants to stand up and move around, but you'll probably have to do a little bit of maintenance (nothing major) to get them on.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
this is important for heavier guitars (probably not a strat though).

I noticed an improvement on comfort over longer periods of playing time with my Strat when I replaced a thin nylon strap for a wide leather strap, and it's a fairly light guitar.

But I play for 4+ hours straight at a time standing up during my bands' rehearsals, so that issue is probably more accentuated in my particular case.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by fluffysuede
Hi there

New here, I'm not a guitarist but my 15yo daughter is. She is getting pretty good on her purpley-blue Squier electric strat and I want to get a her a decent strap for Christmas.
What do you experienced guitarists think?

As an experienced guitarist, I think that wide straps with big memory foam inserts are the best way to go. The Gibson straps that run $120-160 are outstanding -- one of the very few Gibson items I'd have to agree is NOT overpriced.

As someone experienced with 15 year old girls at any level, however, I'd suggest that you're only going to get into trouble.

A new strap is a fashion accessory to them as well, and only the girl can tell you what the ratio of accessory to practicality might be for her personal taste. We know it needs to go with purpley-blue at a minimum so the usual "cow-leather or black" choices might not suffice.

So unless you have the Taylor Swift/Selena Gomez/Lorde rat pack on speed dial, you might want to include her on the choosing.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 30, 2014,
In terms of quality, it is hard to go wrong with Levy's.

However, as has been pointed out, a strap is as much a fashion accessory as a practical device to spread the weight of a guitar over a shoulder.

Were I you, I'd tell her about the REASONS for getting a broader, softer strap, but take her to a store with her guitar to do some shopping, and let her pick a few to decide between.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Honestly, a nice, high end leather strap could get rather pricy for a 15 year old. For the sake of getting something she migh not otherwise indulge on, a really nice stylized leather one would be effin' awesome.
The Levy will be fine but fit Schaller straplocks to it. They last heaps longer with straplocks.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Does she have a strap now? be sure to measure the length at which she has it set. I'm 5'5" and like my guitar sitting up pretty high... my strap is at 38" which is shorter than the Levy's or many other straps can go.