I am just starting out with learning acoustic guitar and I am playing a tune in 3/4 time, using an arpeggio picking pattern. I have a problem with changing between two chords, and keeping the notes clean and in time.

Let me explain.

I need to change from Am to C, but the problem is the last note in Am *3rd string, second fret) is held down with the finger that need to move to hold the First note in the C chord (5th string 3rd fret). So it is impossible to hold the last note in Am for the correct time and move the finger to C and play the first not in C for the correct time. So something must give.

What is the best solution. I find I either play a short not in Am that sounds crap and move to the C OR I take my finger of the 3rd string and move the finger to the C chord, and there fore play an open 3rd string as the last note in Am.. if I so this will it be in tune.
You could leave the G string open. That would just make the Am an Am7. But you need to listen - does that sound good? Sometimes that's not the sound you are after.

Another option is to use your pinky instead of index finger when fretting the C major chord. I tried it and it didn't feel strange at all. That's maybe how I would do it if I wanted to retain the original sound.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Thank you. I have been playing Am7, but it sounds wrong. I have tried using my pinkey finger to hold the C and I like it. I will give it a go.
Yeah, if the Am7 sounds wrong, don't play it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115