Hey guys! I've been playing guitar for a few years, and for some years I attended a private music school. I went through a rock course, and then 2 or 3 years of jazz+theory courses. The best times to me were learning how all seems to be linked theoretically, and then applying that during improvisation and all that.

However, I recently had to move to another country. A few months back, I went to another music school in here, but they only had private classes. No school that I can find in this small town has group practice that I can attend - they are either too expensive, or only a select number of people can be on the "shool's band". Having said this, I am struggling to try and stay motivated to keep practicing, but the joy of discovering something new and applying it on the guitar is something that I want to keep getting.

Having said this, I'd like to ask you the following questions:
  • Do you recommend any self-learning guitar and music theory books?
  • What do you do to stay motivated when you have to practice and improvise only using backing tracks? (and what resources do you use?)
  • Do you recommend any online resources where I can learn and practice new things?

Thanks for all the help!
Maybe try recording some ideas, this always motivates me. Recording is a pain though, I have to be in the mood. Also make a vid of you playing, sometimes you look better than you feel.

Practice stuff you are weak at, that should give you an idea what to look for on youtube.

Yeah, I also am bored of playing to backing tracks and doing exercises. Lately I've been recording stuff and not even putting guitar on. It comes and goes with me, but I make sure to play a couple of hours every day even if I'm not inspired.

Start your own band, I miss playing live, our drummer comes back in Dec, so I look forward to that
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 30, 2014,
1. Creative guitar by Guthrie Govan is one of the best learning resources for guitar out there. I cant recommend it enough.

2. I listen to music. If I feel unmotivated, I listen to some new genre or style. I also watch live vids from my favorite bands and I try to attend gigs as often as possible.

3. If you have a good eye for criticism, this very site is a fine source of lessons. I've also heard a lot of good stuff about Justinguitar.
I'll definitely check out those lessons by Guthrie Govan! He's amazing!

But in terms of practicing, what do you guys do? I feel like, since I can't attend classes and don't have specific songs to practice for a band, that I don't know what to practice or study...

More ideas?
I would learn a different, new style of music personally.

I'm very much into all sorts of music, from pop to metal to prog, but just recently i've become pretty obsessed with barre chords which i never used to be. Everything from arpeggiating them, to playing hybrid riffs with them, to inversions, to playing them with different fingering. It's keeping it fresh.

If you learn a new style it will open all sorts of doors to you.
Go browse through the lessons section of the site, and if you see a post about a skillset you dont have mastered, give it a try. if you truly want to learn new things this is a good way of going about it. (and its free....im sure there are better options out there if you have money to spend)

How do i stay motivated? Adderal, no joke. when i dont take it i feel no desire to play guitar (or really much else) but ill still push myself to noodle a little bit just so i dont lose "the touch". but when i do take it i will sit there for hours doing one little riff over and over again until i have it mastered, then im hungry for whats next. if it werent for that i probably wouldnt even play, id just write music.
im not saying drug yourself or anything, im saying you need to find something that makes you want to play. figure out what your real goal is with the guitar, maybe ita being in a band, maybe you just want to impress your friends, and write it down. figure out a way to always keep that goal in mind and youll find that your desire to play and progress will increase.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by rtfk101

im not saying drug yourself or anything, im saying you need to find something that makes you want to play. figure out what your real goal is with the guitar, maybe ita being in a band, maybe you just want to impress your friends, and write it down. figure out a way to always keep that goal in mind and youll find that your desire to play and progress will increase.

It's very interesting that you say this. My dream was just to have a small band that would play in bars now and then. Nothing fancy, nothing that would pay my bills, just playing and having fun. Heck, I would even do it for free... And up to a certain point I was able to do it: in my previous music school they promoted that the students got together and played. They then got us a few gigs each semester, and that was the best time I've ever had with music...

...but then changing countries and losing those bands kind of demotivated me, so I was searching for some way to keep practicing while not being able to get back to a band.

Of course, I could find a band in here too, but right now I feel so rusty and I'll only spend some months in here, so it's not worth it. But still, it still saddens me...
Everytime I feel that way i just think of guitar playing as a marathon rather than a sprint. I also look back at the reason I picked up a guitar in the first place. For me personally it was the moment I heard Jimi Hendrix/Band of Gypsys "Machine Gun". Although Im more of a blues/classic rock/reggae kinda a guy that was the moment when I was like "wow, i need to learn how to play". So basically just keep finding inspiration and keep learning new things. Plus how amazing does it feel when you get new gear? GREAT!!!!!