Hello! I am a total beginner and just starting to learn electric guitar. I am having some trouble. When I play a note and then switch frets, my other note stops. It makes my playing really segmented and strange-sounding. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
Practice.

My first melody was Stella By Starlight and it took months to get that fluid sounding. Ultra-light gauge strings can help so you can develop muscle memory and fretting skills with less pressure required. Practice 3 times/day until it gets better.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by DavidSchmavid
Hello! I am a total beginner and just starting to learn electric guitar. I am having some trouble. When I play a note and then switch frets, my other note stops. It makes my playing really segmented and strange-sounding. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Hi David,
Assuming the second note is on a different string, then you need to practise when you release pressure on the fret on the the first string in relation to when you fret the second note. The nearer those two events in time, the less interrupted the sound. You could try deliberately holding the first note down even while you'll playing the second, to exaggerate, and then try releasing the first note a little earlier, and so on.
cheers, Jerry
i just started playing and yes chord changes are a pain there are lot of good vidoes on you tube just type chord changes for beginers. it will take months good luck
If you practice holding a note to a metronome, and holding it for one click. Once you have this down, try putting the second note in there and holding that for one click. Once you have this transition pretty good, try alternating between the two. That's what i'd probably do anyway.