Can someone help me with finding a simple shred guitar? Im looking for a 24 medium jumbo or bigger fret guitar with a whamy bar. One pickup. My budget is around 600$.
There is no such thing as a "shred" guitar. I bought into that hype, figured if I got an HSH superstrat with bigger frets I'd be able to play like Steve Vai. I ended up frustrated and hating that guitar because I wasn't suddenly better.

Buy a guitar you like, not a guitar because you think it'l help shred. If that's that kind of guitar, then awesome! We need more details to give a good suggestion though. Genre, is used okay, brand preferences, etc.?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Limiting yourself to one pickup (personally don't see any point in it whatsoever) severely limits your choices. I suggest you open yourself up to two pickups and have the option there in case you need/want it later. Honestly the only thing I can think of (in your used budget) is the Fender EVH guitar.

Tremolo or Floyd Rose?
Used ok?
That opens you up to LTD 1000 series, higher end MIJ Jacksons, Ibanez Iron label, Schecter hellraiser, etc.
While it's true no guitar is going to make you play like Vai, Becker, Satriani, or Malmsteen overnight. If you want to play shred techniques, get a guitar with
a thin neck (like an Ibanez Wizard neck)
floyd rose or other floating double locking bridge
larger frets
high output pickups
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Quote by Tulkas

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
I'd look for a used Ibanez Prestige in that price range, Maybe a Jackson Japan if you can find one, I prefer the Ibanez trems on the prestige though, both necks are great. The Ibanez will probably need new pups though, looks for a used one that already swapped them.
Quote by entropicxdisson
While it's true no guitar is going to make you play like Vai, Becker, Satriani, or Malmsteen overnight. If you want to play shred techniques, get a guitar with
a thin neck (like an Ibanez Wizard neck)
floyd rose or other floating double locking bridge
larger frets
high output pickups

Thin necks don't make you play any faster or make it any easier to play It's all marketing hype. What neck you can play with the most speed and fluidness on comes down to your individual hands. Just ask any jazzbo that can put a shredder to shame on a hollowbody with a baseball bat neck. Same for locking trems. Paul Gilbert seems to do just fine without them, as does Steve Morse, and any number of jazz players. Frets too.

High output pickups don't even do anything to make you play different, they just sound different.

The idea that all of this stuff is needed to "shred" is nothing but marketing hype. If your preference is a 335 with a stoptail, PAFs, and a baseball bat, you'll do better on that than you will on a JEM.

Quote by necrosis1193
There is no such thing as a "shred" guitar. I bought into that hype, figured if I got an HSH superstrat with bigger frets I'd be able to play like Steve Vai. I ended up frustrated and hating that guitar because I wasn't suddenly better.

Buy a guitar you like, not a guitar because you think it'l help shred. If that's that kind of guitar, then awesome! We need more details to give a good suggestion though. Genre, is used okay, brand preferences, etc.?

hate to say this but you got frustrated by a lack of skill not the guitar. there certainly are guitars that are more geared toward "shred". this is not to say that you can't shred on damn near any guitar. thin necks with flat fingerboard radius certainly make it easier to shred. no guitar will make you "suddenly" better on practice and dedication. the other thing is that some players just aren't wired so to speak to be awesome shredders (or any other particular style for that matter). I went through the 80s and believe me put in countless hours trying to yngwie or steve and never was able to really do that. not the guitar it was and still is me.
^ Agreed. A fair bit of it's marketing, but I don't think it's all marketing, either. Obviously I like them, but if I want to play the widdly stuff I'm picking an Ibanez RG or similar every single time rather than a jazzbox, vintage spec strat/tele or whatever.

Those more shred-orientated guitars won't turn you into vai, satch or becker overnight but they help. (At least if you like them. )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Shred technique isn't about having a particular set of universal physical characteristics on a guitar. It is having a neck & guitar you're comfortable with that will let you maximize your speed & accuracy, based on your innate talents. If you don't find skinny necks comfy, if you find them too cramped, you'll never be able to shred on them, even if you have finger speed of Buckethead.

Which is why those classic Strats and LPs don't slow down any of those C&W shredders.

See also Al DiMeola.

So, OP, what kinds of guitars do you fell comfy playing?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 30, 2014,
Quote by monwobobbo
hate to say this but you got frustrated by a lack of skill not the guitar.

That was kind of my point. Buying a specific guitar isn't going to make you magically able to shred. I got frustrated because I thought it would, which it obviously didn't. I'm trying to keep OP from making the same mistake I did of assuming buying a "shred" guitar will make me able to play like a madman.

The guitar that will work with you and your guitar needs would be the most ideal shred guitar.

It is all in your skills to shred nothing else.

For a long time I loved a tune by Yngwie Malmsteen called Far Beyond The Sun from his 1984 first solo album. I still dig that record and his playing.

I decided to get serious in developing my hands to get it down and I went for my homebuild Stratocaster with a Fender Clapton V shape neck october 25 1990.

Getting the tab notes down where simple enough and the metronome helped the speed and the accuracy. However I needed the basic skills for faster/shred style so I took Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina and got serious from ex 1 which was legato then picking.

This worked wonders and I can pull of the first few minutes of that song pretty much regardless of the guitar. It is not easier on my Jackson Rhoads which has a much slimmer neck.
It is not the guitar but the player. The most shredding guitar player I ever saw live was Pat Metheny he does not play what you would call a shredder guitar. That said each guitar I play i feel wants to be played a certain way. I play different things on my strat than I do on my Gretsch etc. I like having a variety of guitars with different feels to get different tones from is a good thing.

So I would say go ahead and get a shredder style guitar but don't expect big changes but it will lend itself to a different style of play and that is a lot of fun too.
Last edited by Zhaezzy at Dec 1, 2014,
I believe the Ibanez Jem comes with a play like Steve Vai or money back guarantee.
^^ They must give a LOT of money back

Check out an Ibby Saber/S-Series....they're shred machines! Even the Indonesian ones are pretty well made (with a nice trem/hardware) & they play/sound great..

Quote by GodOfEmptyness
^^ They must give a LOT of money back

LOL
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?