Right so the epiphone les paul standard plus top pro vs the gibson les paul junior, which is better and why? I assume the gibson but always good to get a second opinion.
Well I've been playing for about a year and am into traditional rock and play through a ss amp. I was going to buy the epi but then saw a great deal on the gibson. I don't need loads of tonal variation, just one good rock tone.
Then the Jr would be just fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
check your area ebay and gumtree, but that sounds about right, they run $400ish here in the states
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
epiphone. The LPJ series is one of the rare occasions we pay for what we get from Gibson. The quality of gibson is so down hill the last 10 years I'd be upset/offended if someone bought me one. I do guitar repairs as a hobby and flip guitars and the stuff people say about Gibson coming from even hardcore fans is always hilarious.

anyways... I'm not here to just talk crap about Gibson. Three brands to consider I'm sure you'll love.
Schecter , LTD , PRS , there is so many better brands under 500-800$ american even though I saw gumtree mentioned. In the end from a builder perspective Mahogany is mahogany to a certain degree and match as much of the woods as you can and you're set. PRS for example is if Fender and Gibson became one and it got the best things from both companies. Schecter and LTD have very modern parts and they have something to prove a new Hellraiser or blackjack is a fraction of a LP standard and I'm sure a lot of guys on here if they played both blind folded they would go Schecter. Some have the really thick necks and are as thick as the les pauls. My Damien 6 elite I'm selling on craigslist now for roughly 220 pounds (went on a conversion site) hardcore gibson guys would love.
Quote by Tallwood13
epiphone. The LPJ series is one of the rare occasions we pay for what we get from Gibson. The quality of gibson is so down hill the last 10 years I'd be upset/offended if someone bought me one.

Just to clarify -- are we talking about the Les Paul Junior or the "LPJ" which is a different model entirely? The Les Paul Junior is a single pickup P90 flat guitar that was originally a student/beginner guitar back in the '50's. The LPJ is a relatively new (though discontinued) low end Les Paul with a matte finish, no binding and standard humbucking pickups (two) with an odd cover setup.

The LPJ's have been running just under $500 new here in the states, but are best described (IMHO, here folks) as a piece of ...er...guitar with a Gibson logo. There are owners who are thrilled with them. Like Tallwood13, however, I'm not. There are $200 Korean guitars whose construction, materials, finish and playability are far superior.
Quote by 12wilsonh1
Well I've been playing for about a year and am into traditional rock and play through a ss amp. I was going to buy the epi but then saw a great deal on the gibson. I don't need loads of tonal variation, just one good rock tone.

just my opinion but that line of thought is not going to work in the long run. there is no "one good" rock tone that will work for everything. I understand that you are a beginner and seem to be more worried about learning to play with a good tone than variety. that may prove to be a bit short sighted. go with the Epi LP I think in the long run that will serve you better than having Gibson on the headstock. nothing wrong with the LP jr (worked great for leslie west - Mountain) but I think the LP would be a better guitar overall.
i just got the epiphone les paul jr from guiatr center for presidents day for 89 dollars.
i know its not a gibson but the guitar is nice it plays nice also
Quote by Tazz3
i just got the epiphone les paul jr from guiatr center for presidents day for 89 dollars.
i know its not a gibson but the guitar is nice it plays nice also

GTFO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
GTFO

oh come on. kid got a guitar and likes it. he isn't saying it's as good as a Gibson or anything stupid. for $89 you could do worse.
Quote by monwobobbo
oh come on. kid got a guitar and likes it. he isn't saying it's as good as a Gibson or anything stupid. for $89 you could do worse.

No I am gad he got a guitar he likes and hopefully will keep playing. But his wording sucks
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm gonna side with the LPJ here. I haven't played one and I'm not a fan of faded/satin finishes, but I have owned a couple Epi Std's and I'm thinking 1) it's going to be lighter, and 2) it'll come with better pickups. Yes you can put better pickups in the standard but I'm looking at this from a perspective of ready to play condition.

This is assuming I read right and we're talking about an LPJ and not a Les Paul Jr. A Les Paul Junior would be a fine guitar too, but it wouldn't be as versatile as a two pickup guitar for learning and experimenting with new styles. Not that it can't be done, but it wouldn't be as easy to discover new sounds on something that really only does one sound.

But thinking practically, I'm thinking back to when I was first learning how to play and My first guitar had a humbucker and a coil tap in it, along with some singles I never used. I was really into thrash back then and for many years afterwards and it took a long time before I seriously wanted to look into other styles. Would I have branched out earlier if I had a better tool? Hard to say. Maybe not. The only caution I would throw at this point to OP though is not to get stuck in the mental trap of thinking that you can NOT play certain things unless you get a different tool though. Some tools make things easier, but explore the cabilities of the equipment you have. That said, I'd recommend you get one of these models that is two pickup.
another vote for Epiphone.

Learn, play as many guitars in a shop as possible and develop a taste. Play some different amps as well and you'd be surprised what you're gonna like. NEVER would have thought ESP explorers and fender telecasters were any good but I couldn't put either down at first. Granted I'm a humbucker guy so it was far from a traditional Fender tel if I kept it but yeah I was a little shocked.

honestly though I'm so sick of people on forums to classifieds sites think that they need a gibson to be an amazing guitarist. This guy on youtube said it best. Pretty much it's how much talent we have the gear will amplify it. The only thing holding us back as musicians is us. We can get guitars with more neck access, tone or sustain but you pass someone talented a Korean Squier (had one recently to flip and hated it) with really low end tuners and buzzing pickups and they'll still blow you away.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 8, 2014,
Wait, didn't you already vote? haha. I'd agree with your sentiment. I recommended the LPJ over the epiphone because those were the only ones he asked about. Sure enough, there are many other good guitars out there.

As far as gibby vs epi, if they're around the same price and they're both two pickup guitars, then I'm still going to say go with the gibby between the two. The epi will have more bling, but the gibby will come stock with better components and can be upgraded just as easily as an epi should the need arise and if you decide down the road you don't dig it, will probably hold more of it's value for resale. You don't need a Gibson to play well at all, but if they're around the same price, why would you toss out the opportunity without even trying one?

I would, however, suggest the OP go try both out though, as everyone always does. There's a tangible difference in feel between a gloss finish and a satin finish and you may find that one or the other is really not to your liking. As well, if you're going to the store, I'd sit in there and play anything that looks cool and a few that do not. I absolutely hated les pauls when I was a young kid learning how to play based on a lot of misconceptions and prejudices and these days, they're one of my favorite guitars.

For what it's worth, my first guitar was a used Washburn G-10V from the superstrat era. I think it was all of $200 at the time. Hated that guitar with a passion and couldn't wait to get another one. As I've gotten older though, I've grown to appreciate it (I still have it). Which is not to say buy something you hate because it's cheap and you'll like it someday, but rather that your tastes will change over time to who knows what.
Don't get either, get a used Agile (2000 or 3000 series) and you'll be set
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Hydra26
I'm gonna side with the LPJ here. I haven't played one and I'm not a fan of faded/satin finishes, but I have owned a couple Epi Std's and I'm thinking 1) it's going to be lighter, and 2) it'll come with better pickups. Yes you can put better pickups in the standard but I'm looking at this from a perspective of ready to play condition.

1) About the same weight. All the Les Pauls seem to vary though, so that's not a given.
2) Not if it's a 2013, those pickups are crap quality and should be replaced immediately, if not sooner. 2014 that might be true, depending on your tastes in pickups.
I agree with Tallwood. I love the Epi Lp Standards but I haven't played a Gibson LPJ in about 30 years. I also agree with his thoughts on talent and gear. Too many people (myself included) get lost on the idea that I will play better if only had (insert name of gear here). Jeff Beck or anyone on his playing level could make a $100.00 Fender Bullet Squire sound amazing. I also never bought a guitar based on what I thought it might be worth down the road. Maybe I should have then I could sell a few of mine but then again I probably wouldn't
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 9, 2014,
Quote by Rickholly74
I agree with Tallwood. I love the Epi Lp Standards but I haven't played a Gibson LPJ in about 30 years. I also agree with his thoughts on talent and gear. Too many people (myself included) get lost on the idea that I will play better if only had (insert name of gear here). Jeff Beck or anyone on his playing level could make a $100.00 Fender Bullet Squire sound amazing. I also never bought a guitar based on what I thought it might be worth down the road. Maybe I should have then I could sell a few of mine but then again I probably wouldn't

by the same token you need a guitar that makes you want to play it and can reflect your talents. no you don't need a high end guitar to sound better but a $100 cheapie has it's limitations that will interfere regardless of talent. Jeff Beck could be playing Rock Band and make the controller guitar sound awesome. for those of us that aren't guitar gods we might need a little help.