I need a clean boost for solos so I don't have to do as much switching on my RP-155, and I am also running out of pedal space. I can fit in a small pedal, about the size of EHX's standard pedals like the Soul Food.

I'm looking at this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/hotone-effects-lift-up-clean-boost-skyline-series-guitar-effects-pedal?rNtt=clean%20boost&index=10#productDetail

Because it's small, simplistic, and cute. It's also fairly inexpensive.

Thank you for your commendations or condemnations.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 30, 2014,
never heard any of that brand.

I'd trust the EHX though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I haven't tried them, and it might be out of your budget, but it might be at an okay price used, but maybe look into the Xotic Effects EP Booster? Its about the size of a Ditto looper pedal, or any of the mini TC pedals.

Or even look into the mini TC Electronics Spark?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
The best one I've tried is either Xotic EP, as mentioned above or TC Mini Spark. Love them both. Would get either, but a clean boost is not right now the thing I need on my board
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

if you're willing to change settings on the soul food on the fly it's basically a clean boost with the drive on zero. IIRC the diodes don't clip until the gain hits 10 or 11 o'clock on the drive knob.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ LOL

Quote by almudjk
Try a Mooer Pure Boost.

it's as much of an od as the soul food is really (or at least it's very definitely an OD rather than a clean boost- albeit a pretty low gain OD). doesn't get anywhere near as much gain, but the soul food is as much of a clean boost with the drive control turned right down.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here's a condemnation (since you asked, I mean no disrespect), you coulda' gotten a simple, single, better amp to accomplish your goals, with all the money you've been spending on pedals the last few weeks. And all these pedals seem to be for is to compensate for your dissatisfaction with your amp. The Soul Food is a sweet "compact well working clean boost", that's pretty much exactly how I use mine and why I really dig the pedal. If you're using the Soul Food for distortion, adding another boost is gonna really muddy things up. Imo, it works better boosting a distortion or fuzz pedal than it does as a distortion being boosted by another pedal.

If you're satisfied with your current set up and really dig the gain the SF gives you, maybe a second SF would be a better option than one would think. Cause it is a killer, transparent, compact, clean boost.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
~$152? Surely not enough, but thank you. My amplification issues were short lived, as I've cleaned up the excess clipping extensively. I still plan to get an amp eventually. And to be clear, I don't use the Roland Cube for performance; that thing would clip like mad, not to mention the out port is dead.

The clean boost would go at the end of my chain, so most of the work done to the signal would be just a volume boost.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 2, 2014,
I wouldn't think you were crazy for getting another Soul Food. One as an od somewhere near the beginning of your chain/buffer off, one for a transparent, everything booster at the end of your chain/buffer on. Seems redundant but it may be what you're looking for.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I am also looking at the Spark Mini by TC Electronics, although the "prime-time" switching confuses me. The Hotone Liftup went up $20 to match.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/tc-electronic-spark-mini-booster-guitar-effects-pedal/h96620?rNtt=spark&index=5#productDetail

I'd really hate to buy another Soul Food. I'm not confident that the tone parameters would give me a pure clean boost, and I'd much rather a new pedal just from personal perceptions of appearance, as well as utilizing/testing out a new pedal. The Soul Food sounds to good (to me at least) to just be used as a boost...
Quote by Will Lane

I'd really hate to buy another Soul Food. I'm not confident that the tone parameters would give me a pure clean boost, and I'd much rather a new pedal just from personal perceptions of appearance, as well as utilizing/testing out a new pedal. The Soul Food sounds to good (to me at least) to just be used as a boost...

It definitely works as a clean boost, but I agree with you, buying two pedals the same isn't exactly super-exciting. I'd probably buy something different (assuming something different which will work as well exists within your budget) just to have something different.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
I'd check out the Pedal Projects Owly. It's a tiny 1-knob clean boost that sounds great. It's the size of a TC Mini pedal.

That is adorable. I want it. It's more expensive than my other two suggestions, though. :/
another vote for the EP booster here.

or the spark. all depends on how much you wanna spend
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Check out Henretta Engineering's Mr.White.

its only. 2''x2''.

https://reverb.com/item/99595-henretta-engineering-mr-white-tweak-boost-guitar-pedal
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DPL4Y0S/ref=mp_s_a_1_47?qid=1417560583&sr=8-47&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

There's also the EQD Arrows boost, but it gives a midrange hump at the end as well. I think the black eye is more of what you're after
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I went with the Hotone. Although I looked at each other recommendation, they were mostly too expensive or did too much coloring. The mini spark was a close second. I couldn't find hardly anything on the Liftup except for shoddy demos. But that's the fun in buying a new pedal : D I got the pedal for ~$58 on Amazon.

If it is absolutely trash, we can say I took a hit to let UG know about it.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 4, 2014,
^ haha yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?