So my new band plays in drop C# std (down 1 anda half steps) and drop b. Ive been putting off getting new strings and an adjustment for a bit but i finally snapped a string and have decided its time. I currently have on d'addario light top/heavy bottems (10 13 17 30 42 52) and i want to go up to help with the tension for the low tuning. i happen to have a set of DR Drop down tunings laying around (12 16 20 38 52 60) but that seems like a big jump.

I would still like to have bending capabilities and the like. I had an idea of maybe combining a set of 11s and 12s to make my own upgraded light top heavy bottoms? would that work? any suggested sizes and such for keeping the ability to manipulate the strings but not having the strings be floppy and muddy? i guess i dont have any specific questions here just looking for info/advice. Any would be appreciated. Thanks

P.S i know there are plenty of threads on this subject and i did look through them, just none pertained directly to my current situation

EDIT: My guitar is a 25.5" scale length
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Nov 30, 2014,
You could get away with using 11s in C# I think. That would be the light option, with more bend ability. Though the 12-60 is really the optimal gauge for C# standard, according to clear tone 12-60. As for drop B, I'd suggest something between 13-65 and 13-72 usually, though I'm just making rough optimal gauge suggestions. I'm not too sure about bendibilty. Highest I've gone with C# is 13-64. Just wondering, when you mean drop, is that only the bottom string, or drop to a different standard tuning?
That's the only advice I can give you. I'll leave other suggestions to experts.
Quote by jzRTCAQ!PY13575
You could get away with using 11s in C# I think. That would be the light option, with more bend ability. Though the 12-60 is really the optimal gauge for C# standard, according to clear tone 12-60. As for drop B, I'd suggest something between 13-65 and 13-72 usually, though I'm just making rough optimal gauge suggestions. I'm not too sure about bendibilty. Highest I've gone with C# is 13-64. Just wondering, when you mean drop, is that only the bottom string, or drop to a different standard tuning?

When I say drop B I mean taking C# standard and dropping the bottom string another half step. So if the 12s are optimum but 11s are doable a "custom set" of 11s for the top 3 and up to 60 on the bottom 3 is not unreasonable? That would keep bending easy on those strings while keeping taught and clear the bottom strings? Also, we mainly stay in C# standard there are just a few songs that we go down for.
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Nov 30, 2014,
Quote by darkwolf291
I use 10-52's in C standard
They work fine for me

A bit loose, but still very playable

Your right, thats what i have on right now, i just want a bit more bite from my lows and mids
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Quote by TYSHADOWS
When I say drop B I mean taking C# standard and dropping the bottom string another half step.

<*Squints at his keyboard*>

Say, did you lose C on the way from C# to B? It's a full step.
for C#std 11's are doable if you prefer low tension. i have one with 11's in drop B (C#std with the 6th string on B hence the dropped). its ****ing spaghetti you need to find a thicker 6th string IMO) for B at least a high. 5X to a lower to mid .6X.

i prefer 13's in C#std/Drop B
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
When are you guys gonna come to terms with the fact that you chose the wrong instrument? You're all misguided bass guitarists. What was it? Peer pressure?
It's not too late. Go buy a bass and discover your true calling.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
When are you guys gonna come to terms with the fact that you chose the wrong instrument? You're all misguided bass guitarists. What was it? Peer pressure?
It's not too late. Go buy a bass and discover your true calling.

it sure as hell seems like it. out of 22 (8 in cases being in storage in a different room) so 2 C#std 2, in open G,, everything in Estd or Drop D.

i remember somebody wanted E standard... an octave lower
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
for C#std 11's are doable if you prefer low tension. i have one with 11's in drop B (C#std with the 6th string on B hence the dropped). its ****ing spaghetti you need to find a thicker 6th string IMO) for B at least a high. 5X to a lower to mid .6X.

i prefer 13's in C#std/Drop B

Thanks. Not sure if id jump straight from 10's to 13's straight away but ill keep that in mind. At this point going from a 52 to a 60 for 6th string should make a hellova difference, and 10s to either 11s/12s should too.

Now, anyone heard of DR DDTs? Know if they're any good? If i did make my "custom set" id most likely end up with some D' Addario NYXL tops with the DR bottoms, so like 11 14 18 38 52 60

Quote by dspellman
<*Squints at his keyboard*>

Say, did you lose C on the way from C# to B? It's a full step.

Your right you got me, my bad
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i remember somebody wanted E standard... an octave lower

You could probably jump rope with those strings
Attachments:
f5441e181320964917f7023a314a74d84718f5580c746eb22611298336626883.jpg
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
@TYSHADOWS: optimum for playbility and a bit for sound yes. Though if you want more bite, try some prosteels (if there are any in that size).
@Cathbard: I think I agree with you. I mean the feel of massive strings with a big bass, and eventually using distortion with some power chords makes bass more fun than guitar. I do feel like we made a mistake: Basses are just a sick instrument \m/