Going to start buying pedals for my marshall what pedal should be first priority i was thinking either boost, overdrive, or a distortion pedal. which do you think? If distortion im wanting like a mick mars sound distortion
For a good boost/overdrive pedal, I'd definitely check out a Green Rhino. They are based off of a tube screamer, and they have some nifty tone controls on them. I live by mine as my "boost."
Skip the username, call me Billy
Depending on budget and where you shop, check out the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde or the Red Witch Famulus- both are good dual OD/Dist pedals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd say Tuner pedal like Boss Tu-3 or Polytune 2.
They won't change your sound, but tuning with those clip on shits will be a pain in the ass at loud gigs. You will thank yourself later.
What Marshall is it? Perhaps you don't need a distortion at all. Certainly a tuner, perhaps a wah in front of the Marshall. In the loop, a delay and reverb.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Quote by Rensa
I'd say Tuner pedal like Boss Tu-3 or Polytune 2.
They won't change your sound, but tuning with those clip on shits will be a pain in the ass at loud gigs. You will thank yourself later.

I've used my clip on snark at loud gigs, with no problems. They work through the vibration of the wood, so outside sound doesn't interfere. That's pretty much the whole point of those tuners, besides being small.
the best first pedal is a guitar processor. It's a very smart pedal with everything. Sure it's digital and every snob who has been around the block will hate me for saying it but you get to try everything in one sitting practically.

various distortion , wah , chorus , reverb, delay , gain and really see what you want and need.

the line 6 pod X3 for example or the XT is cheap on ebay but still sounds great for beginners and intermediate.
Quote by Dazzl1113
What Marshall is it? Perhaps you don't need a distortion at all. Certainly a tuner, perhaps a wah in front of the Marshall. In the loop, a delay and reverb.

yeah kinda would help to know what Marshall we're talking about. if it's an MG series then chances are the best advice will be to get a better amp. Mick Mars isn't super tough to do if you have a decent tube amp. he tunes down to D so that is a good place to start.
tubescreamer style overdrive. what era mick mars are you thinking? his early tone was pretty simple.
^ sd1 maybe? not that much difference, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dazzl1113

First thing I thought. If it's a decent amp, you're probably going to want to be using the amp distortion with perhaps a boost to kick it up and/or tighten it a bit. After that, perhaps basics like tuner, noise gate, maybe a delay too. An EQ can also be incredibly versatile. It all depend on your amp and your goals.
It depends, if you are getting all your dirt from your amp then no point getting OD pedals.

If you are running 1 setting, in 1 channel and want to vary it then yes. Get a 808, RAT or the like.

I like JHS double barrel, also have a Timmy and a Klone on my board.

Then you can have fuzz.

You also of course need a tuner, Turbotune or Polytune.

Now comes modulation…this is where the other half of the fun starts, I love delays. Do you like digital or analogue? Digital tends to be more clean and analogue tends to be more warm and dark. I have a Timeline for my digital delay, so versatile, does everything, it is amazing. But I also have a Panther cub and a Meet Maude for darker and more weird delay in the Maude.

Then there are reverb, phaser, chorus, vibrato, tremolo, flanger, EQ pedals, volume pedals (swells) etc etc.

Start with a Tuner, then get a delay ! You can always use your amp for dirt. A delay can sound reverby but a reverb doesn't sound like a delay.