i wasnt sure where i should put this theres probably a superthread for this so feel free to move or delete. but my question is ive finally gotten to a point skill wise where im wanting to start to build my own pedalboard. when i started i thought the greatest guitarist there ever was tom morello hands down (hes still pretty good though) and if i were to have a pedalboard all i would need was a boss gt5. after getting further into it and having friends who have "educated" me i have become a bit of a gear fiend, not an expert but interested nonetheless. when i first started playing i was given a digitechrp350 and what i loved was the expression pedals ability to maniuplate any parameter of any fx in real time, but i have since become really into separate pedals such as the line 6 dl4 and the cathedral reverb. im interested in running a signal chain similiar to this as i collect these pedals.

big muff distortion - zoomg2.1u or a vox tonelab (purely to manipulate fx on the fly in one easy box, the rp350 distortion/overdrives suck balls i have come to realise) - big morley wah - line 6 dl4/roland space echo - electroharmonix cathedral.

any suggestions critisicisms
Last edited by nqcowboy87 at Nov 30, 2014,
Im sure that people here could probably help you out but this question would belong better here at the Gear Building and Customizing forum https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by 457undead
Im sure that people here could probably help you out but this question would belong better here at the Gear Building and Customizing forum https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53
If he wants to build his own pedals instead of buying them, then yes.
Sounds to me more like he just wants a pedalboard and is interested in the best way to order them.

big muff distortion - zoomg2.1u or a vox tonelab (purely to manipulate fx on the fly in one easy box, the rp350 distortion/overdrives suck balls i have come to realise) - big morley wah - line 6 dl4/roland space echo - electroharmonix cathedral.

Rule #1: There are no rules.

But as a starting point I would go with something like this:
Wah > DL4 > Cathedral
As far as where to put the zoomg2.1u or a vox tonelab, experiment.

Pedals order often goes something like this (But again, refer to Rule #1):
Tuner > Wah > Dirt pedals (Fuzz, Overdrive, Distortion, set order to your preference) > Modulation > Delay > Reverb
EQ pedals can go before dirt or after. Or 2 EQ pedals with one before dirt and one after.

Thats just a starting point though.

Just take your time and experiment.

There really is no right or wrong order.
Except maybe the tuner. That should always go first.
i probably would put my wah after dirt though as i would prefer to sweep the eq of an already dirty signal rather than dirty up the wah signal
If anyone out there IS building DIY pedals, you'll want to dig around and find Brian Wampler's books "Advanced DIY Pedals" and "How To Modify Effects". They're currently available only as ebooks, and Brian's made them available free with the caveat that there are a few things in them that are incorrect (he's never bothered to correct them) and that they remain his intellectual property. Brian was a DIY-er before his pedal mods and eventually his own pedals just took off like crazy.

If you're going to be a gear fiend, I'd suggest spending under $100 and picking up an older Pod XT. You get to try a huge wad of various FX and the money's worth it even if you only use it to be able to explain to someone else, "I'd like the pedal to sound like an..."Meanwhile, you've got some pretty reasonable FX to work with while you put together your pedal board.

At some point, of course, you're likely to come full circle and get back to a multi-FX pedal; it's about the only way you can make really fast switches that involve more than one pedal *and* a modification of the settings on one or more of them at the same time. While you can put together complicated MIDI switching, MIDI is so far bereft of the ability to turn the dials on most stomp boxes, especially when you need it done in half a second or less. That's why the Axe-FX, Kempers and bigger Pods exist.
Quote by dspellman
If anyone out there IS building DIY pedals, you'll want to dig around and find Brian Wampler's books "Advanced DIY Pedals" and "How To Modify Effects". They're currently available only as ebooks, and Brian's made them available free with the caveat that there are a few things in them that are incorrect (he's never bothered to correct them) and that they remain his intellectual property. Brian was a DIY-er before his pedal mods and eventually his own pedals just took off like crazy.

If you're going to be a gear fiend, I'd suggest spending under $100 and picking up an older Pod XT. You get to try a huge wad of various FX and the money's worth it even if you only use it to be able to explain to someone else, "I'd like the pedal to sound like an..."Meanwhile, you've got some pretty reasonable FX to work with while you put together your pedal board.

At some point, of course, you're likely to come full circle and get back to a multi-FX pedal; it's about the only way you can make really fast switches that involve more than one pedal *and* a modification of the settings on one or more of them at the same time. While you can put together complicated MIDI switching, MIDI is so far bereft of the ability to turn the dials on most stomp boxes, especially when you need it done in half a second or less. That's why the Axe-FX, Kempers and bigger Pods exist.

Last I heard, Brian is working on a new/updated version of his books.
Craig Anderton also has a few very good books on building your own pedals.

Craig's books, while having some pretty intense circuits, The first few chapters are a good approach for someone who doesn't know an LED from an IC as far as how to read schematics and basically how each component functions (Without bogging you down with all the math).
He also does some pretty decent articles on Harmonycentral.com

And IIRC, there are links to Brian's books on freestompboxes.org.

And since I'm to lazy to type out a bunch of links, look here:
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/links/
And here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1195306
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 1, 2014,