I'm 16

I work a minimum wage job

I live in the US

I jam with friends and with the school bands

annnndddddd

I need an amp . simple enough right ?
I play anything from like Breaking Benjamin,
Foo fighters, Slipknot, Sum 41,Blink-182, Tool, Five Finger Death Punch,
A day to Remember, Green Day, RHCP, Nirvana + a million other things.

I'm really looking for an amp HEAD and CAB (easier to carry from different locations) .
Head wise I'd like anything that can keep up with a loud drummer, other guitarist and a bassist . I really want to nail the heavy US distortion, but at the same time I want the rude, barky U.K. (marshall/Orange/Laney) style overdrive... and goooooodddd cleans. Like, I love my jazz.

and so to complicate things EVEN MORE, I want to keep the whole Head/Cab under $600 .... I'm not afraid to buy used, in fact, I would prefer .

The amps I've been looking at range from
the Orange tiny Terror, Blackstar HT-20h + HT-5h , Marshall MOSFET 100, Eganter Tweaker/Rebel/Renegade , Carvin V3M , Marshall Mode4 , Mesa F-Series, and a million other amps...

my Current Gear (if you're wondering)

1997 Fender Strat with humbucker in Bridge, with Floyd Rose
Joe Satriani Satchurator

so..

from all of you wonderful guitarists out there,
I would love to take any and all advice on getting decent gear at a low price =)

OH and any pedals I may need to get some of these tones, it's not that I want to
BE these artists, I just want to use their example as a base for making my own tone
I've set up a friend of mine with a used Pod X3 Live and a Carvin PM12A (powered speaker).

The Carvin has a 400W built-in amp pushing a 12" LF driver and a 1" tweeter. Only weighs about 30 lbs runs around $279. If you can pick up a used Pod HD500 (should be able to snag one for around $300 or less), you have amps/cabs/FX to burn until you can afford to buy the $200 Wamper Pedals. And you can run the whole rig very loud or down to earphone-only (I have a set of AKG 240's for mine, but Sony 7506, Sennheiser 280s, BeyerDynamic 770s are all good. Avoid the Beats and stuff with boosted bass when you're buying headphones; you want them to sound as neutral as possible. Think Studio/Recording headphones, not "Blast The Bass, Make My DJ Face" type sound.
Absolutely, I reallllly am not a fan of "All That Bass" it doesn't give a good read of the actual sound of the tone. Will the POD sound organic enough ? I'm a fan of the "tube" sound. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll be sure to look into it . I actually already have two 100W powered PAs coming in at about 50 pounds a piece ! Even if I can't get all of those tones, the core tone I want to go for is an overdriven Mesa Style OD.. or an Orange/Marshall ... I can't make up my mind....
look for a DSL and pick up a cheaper cab, look used, there are a ton of cab deals gong on speakers are important. i have purchased a few cabs for the speakers and sell/trash the cab, then build something and throw those speakers in.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Mesa Studio 22 used. $400-$500
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by exnihilo34
I'm a fan of the "tube" sound.
No offense, but this is marketing BS - a good SS amp will give you more of what you perceive as a tube sound than a mediocre tube amp.

Yeah the pod might be a good idea, if you get the the PA speakers then you can probably find a used HD500 or HD500x for $400.

As for the head + cab vs combo portability, unless you get a 1x12" cab, a 1x12" combo will likely be easier to carry around, and I don't really know of any good non custom built 1x12" they sell in the US.

I'd look around for a DSL401 or a Jet City 50w high gain combo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I can only give advice on gear I've owned or used. So can't comment on the DSL or Mesa.
Tiny terror and 1x12 cab are seriously loud and sound good driven or clean. Ignoring the snobbery of some that it's gotta be valve or it's shit, the best all round rock amp I have ever owned (and I've owned many, from orange, park, jcm 800, roland, peavey, bugera and others)and are seriously cheap now is Marshall AVT 275. The effects are a bit crap but they are old. They are Loud and rock like crazy and also have the best clean sound I ever got except with my old Roland JC120. The AVT's are normally criticised by people who have never seen one, never mind played one, and only repeat what they have read online. Like this..lol. Best advice as always though is go and check out some gear for yourself and see what you like. When he was alive and in charge, Jim Marshall didn't make shit.
Here is a Krank Rev Jr for $299
www.guitarcenter.com/Krank-Used-Krank-Rev-Jr--Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-110537567-i3967341.gc

And a Krank 1980 Jr 1x12 for $149
www.guitarcenter.com/Krank-Used--Krank--1X12-CAB---Guitar-Cabinet-110124376-i3802068.gc

It will be loud enough and light enough to transport easily. the head only weights 20lbs. the head will easily run a larger cabinet like a 4x12.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thank you UG for the abundence of feedback !

to trashedlostfdup , which DSL ? the 15, 40, 100 ? and I like the tone of those amps.

to Cajundaddy That seems great ! I'll keep looking, I found a used Mesa F series 2X12 combo for about $500, is that any good ?

to Spambot_2 , I know that the marketing phrase "tube sound" is hyped, but that's just what I've heard from other guitarists.. It's okay, your advice was appreciated !

to crackerjack123 I will def look into that series ! there's just so much hate for any non valve Marshall released in the last 10 years .

to Robbgnarly VERRRY enticing ! I will consider it closely . I really would like an amp to justify me having a distortion/OD ... I wouldn't want to waste $45 dollars lol

thank you for the feedback so far !
Quote by exnihilo34
Thank you UG for the abundence of feedback !

to Cajundaddy That seems great ! I'll keep looking, I found a used Mesa F series 2X12 combo for about $500, is that any good ?

thank you for the feedback so far !

Yes. I use a Mesa F-30 as my primary gig rig. Very versatile amp that always sounds great.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 1, 2014,
Some really good advice in the thread.

I'd shy away from modelling stuff for now, just incase you're playing somewhere without a PA, however the HD 500X stuff does sound good.

Personally, I'd have a listen to some stuff on Youtube and come back with a list, that's what I'd do here.

Totally agree with Rob and Cajundaddy on their amp selections though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Cajundaddy
Yes. I use a Mesa F-30 as my primary gig rig. Very versatile amp that always sounds great.

But your old and play old guy music...................
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
But your old and play old guy music...................

Yes, old as dirt. But I've covered most of these cats along the way:

"Foo fighters, Slipknot, Sum 41,Blink-182, Tool, Five Finger Death Punch,
A day to Remember, Green Day, RHCP, Nirvana "

A Mesa Studio 22 or F-30 will definitely get him in the game.

You play blink 180**** and your older

I now will never listen to what you say
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Looking at some of these suggestions , found a Mesa Boogie Nomad 55 4X10 , it's used and is going for $500 , I don't know if this will be too loud, but it seems very enticing.
Along with Valve King combos , XXX combos ,6505+ combos and tons of Blackstar combos
all coming around <500$, are these versions comparable to the head versions ? what would some of the benefits of having a combo over a Head+cab be ?
A 4x10 is not going to be ideal at all. You want at least a 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12, but deff no 10" speakers
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
A 4x10 is not going to be ideal at all. You want at least a 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12, but deff no 10" speakers

how much of tonal difference would it make ?
I know it would make it brighter and give less bass response,
but what would it do that's undesirable ?
Quote by exnihilo34
how much of tonal difference would it make ?
I know it would make it brighter and give less bass response,
but what would it do that's undesirable ?

It makes a huge difference.
10" is very treble and high mid oriented. There is a reason almost always a good amp is paired with 12" speakers
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
10" is very treble and high mid oriented. There is a reason almost always a good amp is paired with 12" speakers

I'll take your word for it . What are some Combos that you personally would recommend to a rock/punk orientated sound ?
Mesa Tremoverb 2x12
mesa stiletto ace 1x12
Marshall JCM200 DSL401
Peavey JSX 2x12
Peavey Ultra 1x12
peavey XXX 1x12/2x12
Mesa rectoverb 1x12 is great
Krank Chadwick 2x12
Krank rev 2x12

there are lots of great combos for what you want to play, it just depends on your budget.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Egnater Rebel 30, but it won't be pristine clean over a drummer. Its an incredibly versatile amp though and has a glorious, aggressive growl of a crunch tone.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Thanks for all of the suggestions ! I'm digging thru the "used" section of guitar center's website, I'm digging the $0 shipping I live like 45 minutes from a guitar center, would it be wise to take a trip up there ? I also live about the same amount of time from Sweetwater Sound in Fort Wayne. I feel like I should take a trip to try out some of these amps before hand. Would these stores have some of these amps new I could try ?
Quote by lucky1978
Egnater Rebel 30, but it won't be pristine clean over a drummer. Its an incredibly versatile amp though and has a glorious, aggressive growl of a crunch tone.

I have never gelled with any Egnater except the renegade which is a great rock amp. all the other Egnaters really leave something out when I have tried them. The tweeker and Rebel seem extremely cheaply made to me also.

If you want used, it is hard to beat GC and their return policy. Sweetwater is an awesome store if your buying new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 1, 2014,
The Eganter series seems decent, I'm listening to some Peavey XXX reviews right now, sounds pretty down and dirty ! I'm really appreciating the help. What are the realistic differences in power tube tones ? Like 6L6, 6V6, EL84, EL34 I can "hear" the character of amps but what are the real world "live" application of these tubes ? I know a lot of people put EL34's into Peaveys , how does that change it ?
Quote by exnihilo34
The Eganter series seems decent, I'm listening to some Peavey XXX reviews right now, sounds pretty down and dirty ! I'm really appreciating the help. What are the realistic differences in power tube tones ? Like 6L6, 6V6, EL84, EL34 I can "hear" the character of amps but what are the real world "live" application of these tubes ? I know a lot of people put EL34's into Peaveys , how does that change it ?

with a modern style amp you will notice very little difference in power tube sound. When you do notice it, it is when you push an amp into power amp distortion which most amps are not designed for, you will see the difference.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Alright, that makes sense considering the overdrive from most amps come from the Preamp tubes, and the power tubes just "colour" the tone. So what about Hybrids ? how much would the tone be effected by solid state power amp ? I see a lot of Hybrids catch flack for being half tube half solid state. If I were to find a good Hybrid, would it be worth it ?
Quote by exnihilo34
Alright, that makes sense considering the overdrive from most amps come from the Preamp tubes, and the power tubes just "colour" the tone. So what about Hybrids ? how much would the tone be effected by solid state power amp ? I see a lot of Hybrids catch flack for being half tube half solid state. If I were to find a good Hybrid, would it be worth it ?

A good hybrid amp is a good amp

You will notice the difference in power amps when you push them into clipping (for the biggest part)

In a modern amp the pre amp will make the biggest difference in the sound. if it is tubes, the type of tube will have a decent effect on the tone.

With older non MV amps you can tell a much greater difference in power tubes like the Marshall Plexi and Fender bassman
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I was thinking of a Peavey JSX (now XXX II) or a Carvin V3 possibly.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
I was thinking of a Peavey JSX (now XXX II) or a Carvin V3 possibly.

The JSX is a great amp, never liked any Carvin hi-gain offerings. They are fizzier than a JCM900 DR with a lot of gain.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So, my decisions are down to a combo JSX , Triple X, F-100(mesa 2X12 combo) DSL 40c (Marshall 1X12) a Blackstar HT Club-40 and a Peavey Valve king 2X12,

have a made a bad investment with my O.D. ? All of these amps have SIGNIFICANT amounts of gain on tap, and I feel I might have made a useless buy. (It was $49 used, but it's still money!)

Would any of these amps take that O.D. well, and could it sorta just tighten it up ?
Used the OD as a clean boost. Level max, gain 0 and tone to taste. I use one on every amp I own

Of those the JSX is the best, most versatile amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Maybe you should just run EMG's in everything, Rob.

JSX is the go. Grab it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Maybe you should just run EMG's in everything, Rob.

JSX is the go. Grab it.

2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm thinking JSX is it ! After I work a little bit longer, I'll hit one of those up ! so JSX's run around $400-$600 used ? Another question for the JSX, can it be played at (reasonable) bedroom volume? not whisper soft, but loud enough it would sound good ? I heard if you run a volume pedal in the FX loop at the end of the signal chain, you could drive the tubes harder but keep it quite. Sorta like a Master,Master volume ?

[EDIT: how does this compare to the Mesa F-100 ? Mesa..Is MESA]
Last edited by exnihilo34 at Dec 1, 2014,
A volume pedal in the loop may make it easier to control but it will not drive the power tubes harder. It's fine as it is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The JSX has a good MV so you should be fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have never gelled with any Egnater except the renegade which is a great rock amp. all the other Egnaters really leave something out when I have tried them. The tweeker and Rebel seem extremely cheaply made to me also.

If you want used, it is hard to beat GC and their return policy. Sweetwater is an awesome store if your buying new

To each his own, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the JSX was the right call here but I disagree with the Rebel being cheaply made just based on my own experience. I drug my Rebel 20 around everywhere, sometimes transported on a bike, for a couple years and never had any problems with it. I'm no amp tech though, just felt the need to come to the Rebel's defense, I loved mine and while I don't regret selling it, I wish I didn't have to. Its probably highest on my list of "wish I had that one back"s. (Not that I don't love my RM20 just as much).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Robbgnarly

Uh-oh, another 10" basher??? Nonsense, and spoken like someone who has never played through a quality 4x10 rig. '59 Tweed Bassman, Fender Super Reverb, Marshall 1965B, Bogner 410, Dumble 4x10, and the Nomad are all awesome sounding rigs played by top pros all over the world. When Robben Ford and Larry Carlton leave their Dumbles at home they often tour with 4x10 rigs. Those dudes know great guitar tone. Some of the most awesome guitar recordings ever made were through a 10" speaker.

The advantage of a 4x10 rig is punch. Excellent transient response that a 4x12 cannot match. They really cut through the mix in a live situation without stepping all over the bass frequencies causing rumble and mush. This might be exactly the cab this lad is looking for given his music interests (Blink, Green Day, Tool, Peppers).

Mesa Nomad 3 channel 410 rig for $500? Steal that amp!

JMNSHO

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 2, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Uh-oh, another 10" basher??? Nonsense, and spoken like someone who has never played through a quality 4x10 rig. '59 Tweed Bassman, Fender Super Reverb, Marshall 1965B, Bogner 410, Dumble 4x10, and the Nomad are all awesome sounding rigs played by top pros all over the world. When Robben Ford and Larry Carlton leave their Dumbles at home they often tour with 4x10 rigs. Those dudes know great guitar tone. Some of the most awesome guitar recordings ever made were through a 10" speaker.

The advantage of a 4x10 rig is punch. Excellent transient response that a 4x12 cannot match. They really cut through the mix in a live situation without stepping all over the bass frequencies causing rumble and mush. This might be exactly the cab this lad is looking for given his music interests (Blink, Green Day, Tool, Peppers).

Mesa Nomad 3 channel 410 rig for $500? Steal that amp!

JMNSHO

I've never understood the 10" hate myself. I played a Fender Princeton RI the other day for about 45 minutes, having a blast. I got along with it so well I was an inch away from being late on rent. I have a couple of (cheap but good) 1x10 combos I like enough that I keep 'em around.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Dec 2, 2014,
Quote by lucky1978
To each his own, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the JSX was the right call here but I disagree with the Rebel being cheaply made just based on my own experience. I drug my Rebel 20 around everywhere, sometimes transported on a bike, for a couple years and never had any problems with it. I'm no amp tech though, just felt the need to come to the Rebel's defense, I loved mine and while I don't regret selling it, I wish I didn't have to. Its probably highest on my list of "wish I had that one back"s. (Not that I don't love my RM20 just as much).

i had a tweaker, rebel, and renegade and never had any problems. all here and gone in 6 months. they worked fine.

but i would go for the jsx.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Dec 2, 2014,
Page 1 of 2