Let me forewarn you before reading this, I am a noob mostly when it comes to amps. Carry on.

What's the word on these amps? I'm in the market for a new one and I think one of the models from the RG series may be the one. Only problem is nowhere around here carries Randall. The closest would be about a 2 hour drive so I figured I'd ask around first. First off what's the big difference between the 100, 150, and 300 watt besides price and just overall power? and which one would I need? I just play at my house, no live stuff. I play a lot of pantera, zakk wylde, metallica, etc., should this amp fit my needs? And I'm ignorant when it comes to cabs. So what would be a good one to go along with one of these amps?

I know I'm asking a lot but I literally have no one else to ask. No shops around here sell any gear suitable for metal. Just help if you can, please. Thanks.
Dean ML 79 Floyd
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom
Marshall MG50CFX
Randall Rg3003h
Randall Rg412
It will do the Pantera and that's it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah I had a feeling it would nail the dime tone pretty well but I was scared it wouldn't want to do anything else really. sound about right?
Dean ML 79 Floyd
Marshall MG50CFX
Randall Rg3003h
Randall Rg412
I think Cath is over-exaggerating a bit it's not going to nail the other sounds as well as Dime, but the RG has a competent metal tone. Don't expect godly tone, but it still works alright for a lot of metal. I'd grab a smaller model if you aren't ever going to play loud, but if you are then more headroom is always a good thing.

As far as cabs go, something with a rounded high end wouldn't be bad as the Randalls have a tendency to be fizzy. About any solid ply cab will do (Marshall 1960s tend to be cheapest) but speakers are what is really going to make the difference. Look into Eminence, particularly Texas Heats (I paired my old Randall RH200 with these and it sounded superb). I believe some Krank cabs came with them stock, and you can get a good price on Krank stuff from GC used these days.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
+1

Cath is a bit black and white on these things.
I own RG1503 and if you are looking for good solid state metal amp it is worth the price. I like mine a lot, more than I liked my Valveking tube amp. (except for the cleans, they suck on the Randall where Valveking had amazing cleans)
Channel 2 is the classic Randall channel and will more or less nail the Dime tone. Channel 3 is the more modern one, more gain and different voicing. Bit pain in the ass to dial in though because the range on the EQ is HUGE.

Now this is a Randall solid state and not a Peavey tube amp so the sound is more dirty and fuzzy than tightly chugging and punchy. Probably not an accurate explanation but I cant really put it into words otherwise. What cab and speakers to buy is mostly up to you but anything with Celestion V30 or similar midrange happy speaker is a good starting point. IMHO the scooped Celestion G12T75 does not fit this amp at all. Although that opinion came from using one in small 1x12 cab only. A big Marshall 4x12 might be a different story. If you are in Europe a Harley Benton G212 Vintage or G412 Vintage from Thomann are excellent cabs for what they cost.

Regarding the versions all three amps (four if you count RG13 pedal with 1w power amp as one) share the same preamp and EQ. Its just 100W and 150W come equipped with Reverb where 300W comes with noise gate instead which is really useful. Otherwise they are the same thing, bigger just has more clean headroom and bit more volume capability, but they all work the same in bedroom volumes.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 1, 2014,
Kirk Hammett is a Randall guy too, he even had a few of those signature pre-amps for the modular head the had for a while.
Built in noise gate would be nice, but you can get a pedal to do that. Personally, I've never used one, but I don't have a huge pedal board.
Like MaaZeus said, the higher watts give you more headroom for clean tones, with a little bit of volume difference, if at all.
300 watts is NOT twice as loud as 150 watts, just so you know. Not that anyone said that.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Friend of mine has one of the newer RG's and his cab is all V30's...we do some cab swapping sometimes and he tried one of mine that is 12T-75's X'ed with V30's and I think it sounded better(not that the all V30's sounded bad)....but that's just my tone preference
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
Quote by ryanbwags
Kirk Hammett is a Randall guy too, he even had a few of those signature pre-amps for the modular head the had for a while.

I'm a Randall guy too, I have an RM100 and am buying an RM20. What's that got to do with RG's? They couldn't be more different. The only thing the same is the logo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
alright I think I'm set on the 150 watt. I'm still lost on the cab. from what I've seen the randall rg412 seems to go well with this amp. can anyone give any input on it?
Dean ML 79 Floyd
Marshall MG50CFX
Randall Rg3003h
Randall Rg412
Quote by Cathbard
I'm a Randall guy too, I have an RM100 and am buying an RM20. What's that got to do with RG's? They couldn't be more different. The only thing the same is the logo.

wanna get rid of the rm100?
Dean ML 79 Floyd
Marshall MG50CFX
Randall Rg3003h
Randall Rg412
No.

If you are in Australia I do have a line on some cheap NOS ones though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 1, 2014,
Quote by farmosh203
You can take my RG13 for free if you live in NYC.

not quite but I'd gladly pay shipping lol
Dean ML 79 Floyd
Marshall MG50CFX
Randall Rg3003h
Randall Rg412