Hey guys,

Really need your help. I've been looking for some semi acoustic guitars within $300. I researched online and shortlisted a few like the Yamaha APX500, Epiphone AJ220SCE and the Fender CD60CE. However, after I played them, I really didnt like any.

Infact, I liked the sound of the Cort MR710F, however, I'm not sure how good the brand is, compared to the Yamaha and Epiphone...

Can you'll suggest any other guitars in this budget?Do you'll like any of the above mentioned ones? Please help..!!
Should look at the Yamaha fgx700sc in that price range. The Yamaha thinlines or any thinner body guitar isn't gonna have as rich a sound as a full size dreadnaught.
Quote by rohash
Should look at the Yamaha fgx700sc in that price range. The Yamaha thinlines or any thinner body guitar isn't gonna have as rich a sound as a full size dreadnaught.

Thank You... will check that out...
Ya, I realised that about the thinline guitars.... checked out the ibanez Aeg series too...
I'm not quite sure why people give it good reviews then...
Quote by george.varghese
Ya, I realised that about the thinline guitars.... checked out the ibanez Aeg series too...

I guess the selling point of the thinner body is that it feels more like an electric- pandering to the electric guitar crowd. An inch thinner doesn't feel that much different to me but I have long arms. I have an Ibanez aef and it's not a bad guitar. It's nice to play and doesn't sound bad, but it lacks a bit in bass and overall richness compared to a full size dread. When they're plugged into the amp, it doesn't matter because you can adjust bass and treble(and anything else) to you're liking.
Quote by george.varghese
The under $300.00 Ibanez AEG's are all laminate, and ostensibly stiffened to prevent some of the possible feedback.

I can't imagine why people give them good reviews either. To me, they sound like cardboard. They even had a lefty model at a local store. I brushed the strings once, and didn't bother to pull it down from the wall.

With that said, Ibanez' schtick is "plug me in or don't bother playing me", and many of their guitars do only come alive under amplification.

I'll probably catch flack from someone for saying that, it won't be the first time.

If you're going to look at Epiphones, I'd suggest the "Dove, the "Hummingbird", or the just released "Ultra Pro " (or whatever they're calling it). The ultra is a dreadnought, but ships with low action and very light strings. Just the thing for someone beginning, coming from an electric, or an experienced player who wants a fast playing guitar. As with any large body guitar with light strings, there ia a bit of a penalty to be paid in some loss of both bass and projection. But hey, that's why on the 8th day, God invented guitar amplifiers.

All three of those guitars are A/E dreadnoughts with cutaway. The Ultra Pro comes in the prettiest trans blue paint scheme. (Of course the paint color shouldn't matter, but just in case it does ).

EDIT: "Cort" is a huge OEM. They build guitars under many brands, as well as their own marque. "Sammick" is another power house OEM. I've been told that the new Epi acoustics are rebranded Sammick.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 1, 2014,
Quote by rohash

Thanks guys for all your replies..
I was looking for the Yamaha FGX700.....But it's not yet available in India......

Still looking for options...
Alvarez Guitars are fantastic as well. I got an AD60 last year from Xmas and I love it. Quality instrument with a solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides. Was only $319 and played great
If you can find a used Seagull S6 in your price range check it out. You won't find a new one for under $400.
Morgan Monroe is an establishing brand that is endorsed and favored by numerous professional musicians. You may like to check out the Quilted Ash Series. It's a semi-acoustic with a beautifully quilted full ash body and a rosewood fingerboard.

And it costs less than $400. For more specs, you can visit http://www.practiceguitars.com/momoquashse.html.

I believe you already have in mind the type of tone that you want. Maybe understanding how woods affect tone would help you decide better. From there, you can more easily zone in on specific guitars that'd meet your needs.
Acoustic Guitar magazine just reviewed the Takamine GD20-NS. Check out the video here:
http://www.acousticguitar.com/Magazine/Issues/265/(show)/videos

They say "It's almost inconceivable that this is a $250 guitar".

I'm a fan of the Alvarez's and Ibanez's too, but for $300 and under, you are probably going to get a laminate top rather than one made of solid wood. Still, they will be playable and sond pretty good.
Guitars: Carvin TL-60T, Carvin C750 Acoustic, Squier Strat w/Carvin C22B & AP11's, Alvarez-Yairi DY76 12-string, Eastman MD-605 Mandolin, Fender Mandocaster, Ibanez UKS-10 Ukulele
Quote by jfbrown42
Acoustic Guitar magazine just reviewed the Takamine GD20-NS. Check out the video here:

I'm a fan of the Alvarez's and Ibanez's too, but for $300 and under, you are probably going to get a laminate top rather than one made of solid wood. Still, they will be playable and sond pretty good.
We pretty much go through this here at least once a week but I suppose it bears repeating, the Yamaha FG-700 ($200.00) and FGX-700 (AE model $300.00), both have solid tops.

But yes, I think Ibanez entry point for solid tops is about $400.00. Even at that price point, they have plenty of laminate offerings. (Their "EW" Exotic Wood series).
I don't know what the market is like in India but in the states, there are a ton of solid top guitars you can get for under $300 and a few that sell in the $200 range. I'd look for spruce, cedar, mahogany or maple for the top. I'm not sure about ash or any exotic woods. They could be good but they aren't your traditional tonewoods.
Quote by jfbrown42

Well, AGM spams me at least once a week, but I missed the memo on that one.

Speaking of best buys, Guitar Player Mag, in their newly revived "Frets" section gave the Epiphone Ultra Pro, (something like that), an "Editors Pick". That's a solid top, $329.00 sell.

Like arms reduction treaties between nations, magazine reviews of guitars should follow the "trust but verify", protocol.

Quote by jfbrown42
I'm a fan of the Alvarez's and Ibanez's too, but for $300 and under, you are probably going to get a laminate top rather than one made of solid wood. Still, they will be playable and sound pretty good.
We pretty much go through this here at least once a week but I suppose it bears repeating, the Yamaha FG-700 ($200.00) and FGX-700 (AE model $300.00), both have solid tops.

But yes, I think Ibanez entry point for solid tops is about $400.00. Even at that price point, they have plenty of laminate offerings. (Their "EW" Exotic Wood series).
Quote by jfbrown42

It really isn't permitted to post direct links to your own business for marketing purposes in this forum.

But since you're here, ash really isn't considered a suitable tone wood for the top of an acoustic guitar. Not to mention the Morgan Monroe models you're hyping are almost certainly laminate, top and all.

Swamp ash works very for Telecaster bodies....., (wait for it), "TAH-WANG", but probably not so much for acoustic guitars.

I already have an "figured ash" Ibanez "Exotic Wood" AE instrument. It has a few good features , but I really wouldn't want to pick up a bullhorn to extoll its virtues here in this forum.

Since it carries that big, old, "Made in Indonesia" sticker, it's even possible that it might hail from the same OEM as your MM.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 4, 2014,
Hey guys....
Thank you so much for all your suggestions...Hav finally shortlisted the Washburn WD10SCE and the Epiphone AJ220SCE....Both with solid spruce tops....Still hard to find the Washburn here in India though...
Not satisfied with both...but very hard to find solid tops with Pick-up in this budget...The Yamaha FGX700SC was my ideal choice...
Any last minute suggestions??....
Last edited by george.varghese at Dec 6, 2014,