Fair warning, this could be a noob question that I should know the answer to already, but I want to be clear on this before I make a purchase.

Anyway, im looking for a new 7 string to buy, and a couple have caught my attention that have emgs installed from the factory. I had a guitar with emgs before (ltd sc608b) and I wasnt very satisfied with the tone, and I know if I buy another guitar with emgs I most likely will want to swap them out with a set of passive dimarzios or something. Im just curious if that can be done without having to modify the guitar in any way. I dont have any facts or figures but just looking at them it seems like they are a different size and shape than a passive pup, and I dont want to have to modify the body or do an electronics overhaul. Can it be done or should I just steer in a different direction?
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
You'd have to buy passive pickups in a "soapbar enclosure", Seymour Duncan offers this option on most if not all of their 7 and 8 string pickups, as well as Bareknuckle, not too sure about DiMarzio. A soapbar enclosure is really just an oversized pickup cover the fills the space of the EMG route in the guitar. Most of Lace's 7 string humbuckers only come soapbar size and they also make the Alumitone X bar and Deathbar. Those require different mounting holes to be drilled (one in each corner of the cavity) but that really isn't a big deal.

Alternatively, you could really just not give a f*ck and drop some passives with no covers in there. I've seen this done with people who put DiMarzio Ionizers in RG8s (see below). There is a bit of space left and that's up to you if that would bug you or not. But in reality the mounting screws for actives and passives are more or less in the same space.

Obviously you also have to replace the pots in the guitar and wire the output jack differently as well.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
You'll probably have to replace everything. EMG uses their proprietary solderless connection system. The wires all have little plugs that mate to the pots, a circuit board, and out to the jack.
Just because you didn't like an EMG setup in guitar X doesn't mean you'll also hate the setup in guitar Y. Try it first.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Its good to know that its possible, but I don't know if I really like the look of having an enclosure, at least on the guitars I'm looking at. I guess I'll put this idea on hold for now...

Quote by ryanbwags
You'll probably have to replace everything. EMG uses their proprietary solderless connection system. The wires all have little plugs that mate to the pots, a circuit board, and out to the jack.
Just because you didn't like an EMG setup in guitar X doesn't mean you'll also hate the setup in guitar Y. Try it first.

I get what you mean, every guitar is different, but I still find it hard to get a tone I like with active pickups. even just testing guitars with emgs at guitar center I find myself not really liking the sound i get. Maybe its just me but ive never been a big fan of them
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Seymour Duncan in winter namm 2012 or 2013 introduced 2 or 3 different housings for the pickups to fit every guitar imaginable for passive pickups. I'm sure "go with blackouts" has been addressed already as well.

before we get started the cheapest mod to do to get a good tone out of the crappy emg pickups is to get the 18v mod installed. It makes the 707s sound good. It's cheap and easy to do.

ok so if you took all the electronics out what are you left with?
wood, a bridge and a fretted neck with tuners
.. that being said ANY guitar can go passive and any guitar can go active.. hell you can have both in the same guitar like Dimmu Borgirs bald guitarist does/did.

on the positive side of things you can get pre-wired harnesses off of ebay for roughly 10$ american. From there just solder in the pickups and ground the pickups internally this is 5 solders. I'm sure you can do it with a cheap beginner 30-40w soldering iron. It's pretty much idiot proofed.
Quote by rtfk101

I get what you mean, every guitar is different, but I still find it hard to get a tone I like with active pickups. even just testing guitars with emgs at guitar center I find myself not really liking the sound i get. Maybe its just me but ive never been a big fan of them

Fair enough. I stopped using them myself a couple years ago, too. I found passive pickups that I liked better, and I don't have to swap batteries.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags

Sh*t I forgot they were doing that now. Yeah, total pain in the ass to cut all those connections and try to solder them.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9