Page 1 of 2
I have the opportunity to get a 6505+ 1x12 that was converted into a head. It might not suit my current living situation(an apartment with neighbors in both directions) but from my understanding 6505s are built to last a very long time. Would be running this into a 2x12. How would this compare to a standard 6505+ head is the sound close at all? If there is a big sound quality difference I think I'll skip it.
The power amp section's different, and the thing will sound a bit different.

Not that much different, and it'll probably not die on you.

If it's a good deal and you like the amp, I'd get it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
It's a good amp. Won't sound exactly the same as a 6505+ but that isn't to say it'll sound bad at all. It's definitely in the right ballpark.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 1, 2014,
Upgraded with the right tubes, pedals, and speakers/cab, it will sound better than a stock 6505+ head and typical 6505 cab. But then again, an upgraded 6505+ 120 watt head might sound better yet. All I know is that after everything I've done to mine, whenever I mess around in a Guitar Center with a stock 120 watt 6505+ head, it doesn't sound as good as my rig. So they have potential if you do your research and pick your parts carefully. I love my 112 converted into a head -- plus it's nice to only have to buy 2 new power tubes every so often instead of 4. It's louder than hell even with only 60 watts...

Ultimately, any 6505 variant will deliver the br3wtalz if that's what you're after -- albeit in *slightly* different ways.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
What's the price?

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by KailM
Upgraded with the right tubes, pedals, and speakers/cab, it will sound better than a stock 6505+ head and typical 6505 cab. But then again, an upgraded 6505+ 120 watt head might sound better yet. All I know is that after everything I've done to mine, whenever I mess around in a Guitar Center with a stock 120 watt 6505+ head, it doesn't sound as good as my rig. So they have potential if you do your research and pick your parts carefully. I love my 112 converted into a head -- plus it's nice to only have to buy 2 new power tubes every so often instead of 4. It's louder than hell even with only 60 watts...

Ultimately, any 6505 variant will deliver the br3wtalz if that's what you're after -- albeit in *slightly* different ways.

What did you upgrade it with?
Quote by 2FoolForSchool
$470

At that price you are paying for the seller's efforts to turn the combo into a head. If I were you I would either get the 6505+ combo for less money or the head for a little more.

If you want to buy the combo and turn it into a head that's cool, but not worth paying extra money for. It's not gonna sound any different than plugging a 6505+ combo into an external speaker cab so IMO it's not worth the extra cash.

In your situation, apartment and all, I would look for a used combo for less money and call it a day.

-Edit-
Forgot you were planning to run this into a 2x12, but I stand by what I said. I would get the combo and run it into the 2x12, then you have the versatility of a 1x12 combo or 2x12 rig depending on what you need.

If you have the cash for the head, I would just buy the 120 watt head. That is because the money you would spend for the sellers efforts on the combo-to-head conversion would be better used on just buying the head.

-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Dec 1, 2014,
All JJ tubes, for starters. 5751 in the PI position and also V1, 12ax7s everywhere else. ECC-803 in V1 also sounds awesome, although a little different from a 5751. A 5751 there sounds a little more clear with more low-end "thump," but an ECC-803 in V1 has richer mids and a little more grind.

JJ 6L6GCs in the power section. That was a night and day difference from the crappy stock Ruby 6L6s. It was as if the amp had received a healthy shot of testosterone/steroids.

And I don't know what you have for a cab, but I've got a 412 loaded with Eminence Governors (V30 clones, but better imho) crossed with Eminence Swamp Thangs. That combo is devastating. Even those two in an oversized 2 X 12 cab would be crushing.

Finally, run a boost pedal up front and turn the amp's gain down. That'll tighten it up and improve clarity/bite at the same time. Boost the bass/low mids back up with an EQ pedal in the loop. The EQ pedal is key on that amp -- made the biggest difference out of all my upgrades. A tubescreamer works great as the boost, but I like my MXR M77 even better. It gets me closer to a mid-90's death metal tone rather than the more modern metalcorish sound of a tubescreamer. But either way, it's not a huge difference.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by 2FoolForSchool
$470

where you located?...if U.S. that's kinda high
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
Quote by Tremolo Bum
At that price you are paying for the seller's efforts to turn the combo into a head. If I were you I would either get the 6505+ combo for less money or the head for a little more.

If you want to buy the combo and turn it into a head that's cool, but not worth paying extra money for. It's not gonna sound any different than plugging a 6505+ combo into an external speaker cab so IMO it's not worth the extra cash.

In your situation, apartment and all, I would look for a used combo for less money and call it a day.

-Edit-
Forgot you were planning to run this into a 2x12, but I stand by what I said. I would get the combo and run it into the 2x12, then you have the versatility of a 1x12 combo or 2x12 rig depending on what you need.

If you have the cash for the head, I would just buy the 120 watt head. That is because the money you would spend for the sellers efforts on the combo-to-head conversion would be better used on just buying the head.

I agree that it costs a little too much but the fact that it is just a small head to carry around is much better for my situation so it's worth the extra money for me. I have too many heavy amps that I have to move around the house as it is. I'm sticking to buying heads from now on.
Quote by 2FoolForSchool
$470

Used that is a $350 combo and I wouldn't pay anymore than $300 if it was converted into a head.
See www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-6505-Plus-1X12-60W-BLK-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110654726-i4035730.gc

You can get a USA made 5150 2x12 or 6505 2x12 for $500 anyday (and they are made way better than the 6505+ combo)
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-5150-Combo-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110551799-i3961534.gc

So I'd say your deal is a bust
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by teamscorpions
where you located?...if U.S. that's kinda high

Yeah I know you can get a used 6505 for around $399 but if I can get tones that are anywhere near the standard 6505 head this lower watt head is a good option for me I think.
i got my 6505+112 for $225.00 on CL(with FS)...cost $0.00 to turn it into a head
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
Quote by teamscorpions
i got my 6505+112 for $225.00 on CL(with FS)...cost $0.00 to turn it into a head

And that's why I envy people like you who are good at all that DIY stuff. There are so many things I want to do that would save me a lot of money and space. But I was terrible in wood shop and welding class so I know I couldn't make my own cabinets or swap speakers or any of that kind of stuff so most of the time I have to deal with whatever I have access too.
You can't make a box? Seriously?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 2FoolForSchool
And that's why I envy people like you who are good at all that DIY stuff. There are so many things I want to do that would save me a lot of money and space. But I was terrible in wood shop and welding class so I know I couldn't make my own cabinets or swap speakers or any of that kind of stuff so most of the time I have to deal with whatever I have access too.

It is very easy if you have just a little common sense

Can you change the tire on your car, then your all good. If you cant, god help you in life
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It is very easy if you have just a little common sense

Can you change the tire on your car, then your all good. If you cant, god help you in life

Yeah I guess just takes a tiny bit of motivation and some research...
I think I'm just going to pick up an Ampeg VH140C head it'll do all the metal tones I need and I don't have to worry about replacing tubes and what not. It'll take time and persistence to track one down but it'll be worth it.
Last edited by 2FoolForSchool at Dec 2, 2014,
Managing tubes is effortless.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
So not only can't you build a box, you can't change a lightbulb? Are you mentally challenged?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
So not only can't you build a box, you can't change a lightbulb? Are you mentally challenged?

Like I said just never been good with that kind of stuff in general. I just don't have eyes or the feel for woodworking I would always measure the wood a little bit off misjudge where to cut or cut at an angle not noticing I was doing so until it was too late. Does that make me mentally challenged? I don't know. Maybe I have a long hard life ahead of me...

As for the tubes I don't know if I could bias the amp by myself or I would need to take it to a tech and pay for their service and then pay for the new tubes on top that every time they need replacing. Don't know if it's worth the headaches.
Last edited by 2FoolForSchool at Dec 2, 2014,
You don't need to rebias 6505's. The bias control is actually a bit of a joke. Lots of amps don't need to be rebiased and some are so easy that a gimp could do it. You're too easily discouraged. Life wasn't meant to be easy, embrace it and rise above it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 2, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard

All joking aside OP, changing tubes is really no more difficult than changing a light bulb. They go bad after a while so you get some new ones and plug them in. As mentioned, 6505's don't need to be biased unless they have been modified after they left the factory so they are literally plug 'n play.

I guess it comes down to what you really want.

6505+ 60watt combo: $300 to $500 used
6505+ 120 watt head: $600 to $800 used

The option you're looking at, a 6505+ 60 watt combo to head conversion seems fairly priced if you're willing to pay for someone to do the woodworking to turn a combo into a head.

If you like metal, the 6505 is pretty much the go to modern metal amp.

-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Dec 2, 2014,
Quote by 2FoolForSchool
I think I'm just going to pick up an Ampeg VH140C head it'll do all the metal tones I need and I don't have to worry about replacing tubes and what not. It'll take time and persistence to track one down but it'll be worth it.

i haven't played through the Ampeg but they say it and the Crate GX-130C sound the same...don't sound bad for a SS amp but it's nowhere near the amp a 6505+ is...and ive heard my 6505+ and Crate side by side.....just a opinion
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
Quote by 2FoolForSchool
Like I said just never been good with that kind of stuff in general. I just don't have eyes or the feel for woodworking I would always measure the wood a little bit off misjudge where to cut or cut at an angle not noticing I was doing so until it was too late. Does that make me mentally challenged? I don't know. Maybe I have a long hard life ahead of me...

As for the tubes I don't know if I could bias the amp by myself or I would need to take it to a tech and pay for their service and then pay for the new tubes on top that every time they need replacing. Don't know if it's worth the headaches.

you are victim to the wave of people saying who don't know what to talk without experience repeating rumors that say tube are that tube amps are such a pain in the ass.

i have 6 tube heads within sight from where i am. i have the combos in the other room and don't forget the one by my bedroom.

i average for 5 heavily used all tube heads, is $150 a year. that is SIX amps from 18 to 30 to 100 watt amps.

KT88's are pricey though.

if you get a 6505+with fresh tubes, you are likely set for several years. 12ax7 (preamp tubes little ones with the aluminum covers) run $10 a pop for a a standard JJ

power tubs that are good run for the quad is $70 again JJ's. i use JJ's for about everything.

they will likely last several years.

stick them in the socket, pull them out. that is all you have to do.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by teamscorpions
i haven't played through the Ampeg but they say it and the Crate GX-130C sound the same...don't sound bad for a SS amp but it's nowhere near the amp a 6505+ is...and ive heard my 6505+ and Crate side by side.....just a opinion

Okay now you're swaying me back to the 6505. I've been dying to pick up a "real" amp for a long time now, so sick of the low end sounds of my little practice amps. The amp I really want for the future is the Randall T2 from what I'm hearing it sounds amazing and just a tad bit better than the 6505 don't think I've ever heard a better metal amp.
A Randall T2 is hardly a "real" amp in this context. It's Randall's Valvestate.
A Randall RM100, now that's a real amp. An amp btw, that a gimp could rebias. But by the time you buy all the modules you want they can get a bit pricey (I've spent >$1k on modules alone).
Get a 6505, man. You know it's what you want and they're dirt cheap. Stop pissing around and buy one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

Tube dies. Swap it out. There is no way you can **** it up.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Cathbard
A Randall T2 is hardly a "real" amp in this context. It's Randall's Valvestate.
A Randall RM100, now that's a real amp. An amp btw, that a gimp could rebias. But by the time you buy all the modules you want they can get a bit pricey (I've spent >$1k on modules alone).
Get a 6505, man. You know it's what you want and they're dirt cheap. Stop pissing around and buy one.

Hey it's a real amp to me! Anything that sounds as good or better than a freaking 6505 more than qualifies as a "real" amp. And I probably am getting the 6505, and the T2 later when I can afford it.
You will reconsider the T2 once you spend some time with the 6505.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
If you want Randall the V2 might be the better one yes? IIRC that is the one that actually has a all tube preamp channel. Power amp is solid state.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
No way does the T2 sound as good as a 6505.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
T2 vs 6505+

T2 has shared EQ/Density/Presence controls for both channels and SS power section
6505+ has separate EQ's/Resonance/Presence controls for both channel and ALL tube

no contest
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
6505 all the way and this is coming from someone that isn't really a fan of the 6505!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Hell I am pretty sure that you can go to home depot, buy the wood there and make them cut it for you...
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
Hell I am pretty sure that you can go to home depot, buy the wood there and make them cut it for you...

Yeah that's what I was thinking. There's a local shop around here that should offer the same service. I found a better deal a used Peavey XXX for around $300. Great, great deal don't think I can pass it up...
Last edited by 2FoolForSchool at Dec 4, 2014,
Page 1 of 2