Hey all!

I'm performing a qualitative study for one of my university courses and I'm investigating the link between Internet and personal identity.

For my class paper, I want to take a look at Ultimate-guitar's fantastic community on the forums! You can answer however you like; it's completely informal. Here are some questions to get you guys started. Feel free to answer any ones you're comfortable with.

First, How old are you? Are you a male or female? What country are you from? What genre of music do you listen to or play? -- I just need these to sort out demographics.

How often do you post on the community boards of this site?

Why do you post on the community boards of this site?

How does do you feel the act of posting shapes your persona as a guitar player/musician?

What kind of satisfaction do you get out of posting, if any?

These questions are just some guidelines to get a discussion going! You can answer them however you feel best fits your situation. I know that I haven't ever made any real contribution to the site, but I have been using its resources for at least the last 5 years and would not be as developed of a guitar player as i am today. Let me know your thoughts on the matter!
25 year old male from Sweden. I primarily play jazz and fusion music, but i also play other afro-american influenced styles aswell as mainstream music on a regular basis.

I rarely post anything on UG, i am more of a lurker since i enjoy reading peoples thoughts on different subjects related to music. When i say i don't post i mean i don't personally create threads, but i do however answer questions on the site. Frequency should be around a couple (5-15) threads a week, depending on the subject and if i have time on my hands.

I post on the board to share my thought and help people that might need guidance. We have all been in those deep ruts and had no idea how to get out of them, i just want to lend a hand where i can.

I don't think it really shapes my persona in any particular way, since it is not very different from the private teaching i do here in Sweden. The only difference being that i am sharing my experience via the computer and to more people around the world.

Not any particular satisfaction. I get happy when i every now and then get a message in my inbox thanking me for the help, or getting more questions regarding a subject i am experienced in from some other players that are hungry for that knowledge.

UG is a nice place when people respect eachother, when they don't some of these forums become dark places that i leave for a while. But i always come back eventually.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
First, How old are you? Are you a male or female? What country are you from? What genre of music do you listen to or play? -- I just need these to sort out demographics.

19, Male, from USA. I play mostly post-rock/alternative stuff, but I mess around in all genres.

Average of 3.22 posts per day according to UG's stats on me.

To increase my knowledge and to help other people as well.

How does do you feel the act of posting shapes your persona as a guitar player/musician?

It allows me to be more knowledgeable with music in general, increasing my professionalism.

If I'm commended for something I've posted, it feels nice. If I'm condemned for something, I learn from it and take advice. If I help someone, it's nice to know music is spread and understood further.
Quote by dicaireeric

How old are you? Are you a male or female? What country are you from? What genre of music do you listen to or play?

24, male, USA. These days I listen mostly to rock and metal, but tbh I don't listen to alot of music anymore.
I play metal, rock, pseudo-blues, pop, whatever really, I like to noodle.

Quote by dicaireeric

Not often. I browse more than I post.

Quote by dicaireeric

At this point it's mostly because I'm a creature of habit. I started browsing UG when I was 16 and I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Quote by dicaireeric

Especially in MT, there's alot to learn, alot to challenge your beliefs, and there's also an opportunity to help others.

Quote by dicaireeric

It feels good to think that you've helped somebody, and it also feels good to be validated in your own position by others.

43 year old male from the UK. The guitar music I listen to and play is old-school metal.

Not often (<0.7 post per day) and decreasing with time.

I usually only post if I have a question, or know the answer to a question, or have an opinion on something.

The only thing I get from posting, as opposed to just reading the forum, is feedback on certain ideas.

I get some satisfaction when someone occasionally agrees or acknowledges something I've said but I certainly don't come here looking for approbation.
Last edited by Jehannum at Dec 3, 2014,
I post to help others and learn myself. Sometimes to take part in the composition challenges.
I'm a 23 year old dude from Canada. These days I listen to a lot of wanky, shred guitar type stuff; it's not really a genre, but stuff like Cacophony and Jeff Loomis are good examples of what I mean. I play Arch Enemy songs on guitar a lot, and the stuff I come up myself with is largely influenced by their sound. There's more I am into than just these things, but to keep things specific this is pretty much the core of what I listen to and play.

I post in this board rarely, for the purpose of answering a question or something. There have actually been many times when I had something all typed out but didn't post it. This is because I was either unsure I was giving accurate advice or I found the post unnecessary for some other reason.

Sometimes it is hard to post here without feeling like you are entering some kind of dick measuring contest; I don't think it's much of a problem generally, but it can get annoying. Occasionally it's just two people being really stubborn and not listening to eachother, or you get a bunch of people all aggressively trying to help the same person and things get dramatic when guys start crossing swords in the locker room.

At the same time, this introduces a certain element of competition or standards on the forum which can be quite beneficial to everyone. The regs on MT actually seem like they care quite a bit about this stuff, and many of them are quite capable of teaching many people some pretty valuable things- as well as bluntly pointing out when others are dead wrong. So, the approval/disapproval of people on MT is quite relevant to me if they seem like they know what they're talking about. It's good to have that moment where you realize what you have learned adds up to what other people, far beyond your current level, have also learned.

When you post on MT it's sort of like whipping your dick out in a locker room for everyone to see. However, in this locker room everyone's dick only gets larger as time goes on. We show eachother ways to make our dicks bigger the proper, healthy way which won't leave us totally flaccid a few years down the road.

It's moderately satisfying for me to post here. I think it's largely a practicality and egotistical thing for me. On one side, you have some very real feedback which is constructive for learning to guitar. On the other, you have the satisfaction of knowing you're awesome enough to show someone something they want to learn which is reinforced by others echoing similar views with good justifications.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
26/M/Australia. Metal, classical, jazz, rock, pop, electronica, et cetera.

This site? Almost never nowadays.

Nowadays? If something interesting comes along or to make a snarky comment.

It doesn't.

To either laugh at something I thought of, or to help someone understand something.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Cause I want to recommend you a mobile game!
The greatest news for football fans! The most excited and intense mobile game - Football Planet - is available at iOS store now. In game, you could enjoy the fun of playing football with your mobile devices. It doesn’t matter if you are a true football fan or a sport games fan, you wouldn’t miss this magnificent game! It contains sports, strategy and growth contents within. DO NOT MISS IT!

iOS store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/football-planet/id935568811
Last edited by lgncxry at Mar 10, 2015,

50 year old male from the US. Mostly into blues.

Not very often at all, a few times a month.

Mostly just killing a bit of time when I'm too lazy to actually do anything productive.

I suppose responding to someone's question helps to organize my thoughts a little bit.

I don't know, there's always the possibility that someone might get something useful out of a suggestion I give, but I don't post much because it seems that most people ignore any advice people give them and just keep doing whatever they've been doing - they just want to chat about guitar playing and stuff.
I post because as musicians, we're literally all we've got. We need to get on the same team.

Unfortunately the other half of me is competitive as hell and questions the veracity of my first statement.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
I post because it's fun to engage in discourse with other musicians... well that's about half of it.
I'm 24, male and based in the US. I listen to and play nearly everything but classical guitar (most of my gigs since I've finished school have been playing in pits, because I like having a roof over my head and food in my mouth), but I definitely go through phases with what I listen to (just getting over a huge Stax records one)

Not that regularly.
To share knowledge, learn stuff, see other perspectives.
Helps you keep an open mind.
Part narcissism part altruism.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
59, male, USA...or what's left of it...mostly rock and blues, some country, jazz, big band and marching band experience as well.

I'm here almost daily

I post on here mostly because after 54 years of being a musician I've learned a lot about music and the equipment, it's a means of giving something back. Always good to help other people...what good is knowledge if you don't share it with those who wish to learn?

I don't think it has much to do with my persona as a musician, that was developed long before the internet existed.

Basically the same satisfaction as holding the door open for an old lady at a store, helping the neighbor stack wood, feeding another neighbor's birds and watching her house. Basically doing a good deed for the day.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...