Could you fit a fernandes in a Semi Hollow like my Sheraton? I've been looking for enormous amounts of sustain for my leads and I just cant seem to get as much as I want.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Contact them directly- I bet they'd answer.

If a Sustainer wouldn't work, consider an eBow.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Ebow was also going to be my suggestion. Maybe try a nice od to boost the gain, with a noise gate to keep it quiet?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by boblittle
Could you fit a fernandes in a Semi Hollow like my Sheraton? I've been looking for enormous amounts of sustain for my leads and I just cant seem to get as much as I want.

Sure. But my best advice is to call Gary Brawer (in San Francisco) and discuss it with him. He's really the go-to guy for both the Fernandes and Sustainiac brand sustainers, especially in terms of installation. He probably does more sustainer installations than anyone else on the planet.

He'll also do custom installations that others seem not to be able to pull off. For example, most sustainer installations put the two switches in with the other controls, based on the location of the control cavity. I have mine tucked behind the Floyd on my guitar. I don't engage them unless I mean to.

On most guitars the neck pickup is tossed and the Sustainer Driver becomes your new neck pickup by default. On my guitar, he used a single-coil size sustainer driver and added a DiMarzio Fast Track II next to it inside the same pickup ring, and when the sustainer isn't being actively used, the DiMarzio is my neck pickup.

And on most guitars you have two switches and that's it. But on the Fernandes Sustainer, there are three pots used to adjust the sustainer's response. On my guitar, Gary ran the Sustainer Intensity pot out to one of my four pots (my guitar's quad of controls is set up with a master volume, master tone, the Sustainer Intensity pot and a Chandler Tone-X on a push-pull. The Chandler is an active sweepable mids *boost* of about 16 dB. Gary has also installed a passive mids *cut* (the ordinary "tone" control on most guitars is just a treble cut). I use the Chandler as a sort of parked wah for leads. The mids cut would be great for un-muddying rhythm chords, etc.

The eBow (if you've never used one) is a bit cumbersome, and needs to be held ON the string that you're sounding. Picking (especially picking quickly) and using an eBow are NOT mutually fun, and string hopping can make you crazy. You need to hold the eBow on the string for as long as you want the note to sustain. With a sustainer, you simply play the note. You can scratch, answer the phone, send out for pizza, have a drink or two using your right hand. As long as you've got the note fretted and a fresh battery in the sustainer, that note will sound. The note will also respond to the position of the second of the two switches (the first one turns it on and off) -- you can simply have the original note sustain, or you can have the sustained note transition to the octave above the sustained note, or you can have the sustained note sustain AND transition to the octave above the sustained note. These are both similar to what will happen with feedback-generated sustain from a really loud amp.

The Sustainer is VERY cool in that it can generate this sustain for days with no amp present at all. Great for recording, of course, but for live work it means that you can be anywhere on or off the stage to get the effect. With amp-generated feedback sustain, you usually have a "sweet spot" on the stage where you can get what you want. But you have to be IN THAT SPOT in order to get it going -- and the volume has to be up. That often doesn't work all that well for a guy playing a semi-hollow when he does NOT want feedback sustain.
Quote by dspellman

On most guitars the neck pickup is tossed and the Sustainer Driver becomes your new neck pickup by default. On my guitar, he used a single-coil size sustainer driver and added a DiMarzio Fast Track II next to it inside the same pickup ring, and when the sustainer isn't being actively used, the DiMarzio is my neck pickup.

And on most guitars you have two switches and that's it. But on the Fernandes Sustainer, there are three pots used to adjust the sustainer's response. On my guitar, Gary ran the Sustainer Intensity pot out to one of my four pots (my guitar's quad of controls is set up with a master volume, master tone, the Sustainer Intensity pot and a Chandler Tone-X on a push-pull. The Chandler is an active sweepable mids *boost* of about 16 dB. Gary has also installed a passive mids *cut* (the ordinary "tone" control on most guitars is just a treble cut). I use the Chandler as a sort of parked wah for leads. The mids cut would be great for un-muddying rhythm chords, etc.

this is exactly what I want.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by dspellman

So you seem to know your Sustainers, and I've been wondering about this specifically for some time. When the sustainer is engaged, does it have to be your neck pickup? Like, with your setup, can you have the sustainer on, with your pickup selector in neck position, and get the Fast Track II tone with sustain? Similarly, with the pickup switch in bridge position, while using the sustainer, you get your bridge pickup's tone with sustain?