Hey everyone,

I was looking at this live version of the song Invincible by Muse. He uses this slide but he never seems to pick the string.. how does he get this much sustain on a clean tone? (or is it?) High settings on a compressor maybe?
Please help, I need to know!

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxXtQmy0RZY
Gear:

Ibanez S420 > Boss TU-3 > Crybaby > Ibanez TS9 > Marshall Shredmaster > EHX Big Muff Pi > TC Alter Ego X4 > Peavey VK 112
he's using a fernandes sustainer
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Wow, that was quick haha.
Thank you very much
Gear:

Ibanez S420 > Boss TU-3 > Crybaby > Ibanez TS9 > Marshall Shredmaster > EHX Big Muff Pi > TC Alter Ego X4 > Peavey VK 112
You can do it with feedback too. No need for gadgets, just turn the amp up louder.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah it can be achieved with pedals or feedback.
Gary Moore does it really well. I heard somewhere that before playing shows he will find the "sweet spot" on stage and mark it with some tape so he knows exactly where to stand in order to get a never ending note. You just need to crank the shit out of your amp.
Gary Moore also ran a second DSL100 that he'd kick in. It wasn't miked up, it was there just for stage sound. ie. feedback.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Of course, "more volume" isn't always a practical solution.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If only we could all own multiple DSL100's

I managed infinite sustain from sitting a meter away from my 4x12 one time (accidentally). It's a pretty cool effect.
I used to run a JCM900 combo as a wedge for the same purpose.

Gary would often have three DSL's on stage. The third one wasn't turned on, it was just a backup.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hey look! A sustain thread with Cathbard ranting about how you should just turn your amp up! Did not see that coming.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
well, I want to achieve the unending sustain without blowing up my ears. Wildozer said something about pedals.. Could you give me an advice on what kind of pedals I could use?
Gear:

the freeze only works for individual notes/chords.

this sounds pretty good, but is pricey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaMEdWHiLno

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Runaway-Feedback-Pedal-/251743160187?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a9d0fc77b

the boss feedbacker is a cheaper alternative, but sounds like arse.

just turn up your amp and stand close to it.

edit: actually dude, just get an ebow! it will nail that sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEyZfwUveQc
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Dec 5, 2014,
Like has been said a Fernandez Sustainer pickup is about the only thing without cranking the volume
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
And about now I would normally be posting something like this:

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i have actually heard of people in the studio cranking a amp in the room with them to get some wild feedback while running it out to a clean amp in an isolated room. thus the clean amp will feedback all crazy-like with a clean guitar tone.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
wow, I've never heard of the Ebow before.. It does seem pretty cool. I think I'll go for that for now (and maybe start saving for a fernandes sustainer (and installation) later with a better guitar.)

Thanks everyone!
Gear:

Quote by Timon 95
wow, I've never heard of the Ebow before.. It does seem pretty cool. I think I'll go for that for now (and maybe start saving for a fernandes sustainer (and installation) later with a better guitar.)

I've had an eBow for years, but rarely use it. If you try one, you'll find out what the issues are pretty quickly.

I do have several guitars with Sustainers, however.
I should warn that there are some hackneyed installations out there, including some with only the on-off switch.

There are some things you'll want to know.

One is that there is a version (Sustainiac) that has a different kind of pc board from a Fernandes. This particular board can be adapted to work inside an existing control cavity more easily than the Fernandes. That doesn't mean you'll want it, however, since it's a PIA to have the switches in the way when you don't need them.

Two, you CAN mount your switches elsewhere. I have them mounted behind the Floyd.

Three, there are pots on the Fernandes board that you can run out to pots in your control cavity. Some folks have the Sustainer Intensity pot run out there with a bit of wiring. When it comes time, talk to me or to Gary Brawer in San Francisco (he's one of the premier Sustainer installers)

Four, you'll probably want to run a battery box on the back of the guitar, rather than trying to stuff the 9V in the control cavity.

Five, it IS possible to run a neck pickup separate from simply using the Sustainer driver as your neck pickup. The sustainer driver will always be in the neck position and you'll always use the bridge pickup (soundwise) when the sustainer is engaged, and with most installations the sustainer driver works as a decent neck pickup. But you CAN use a single coil size sustainer driver (at no detriment to the working of the sustainer) and tuck a good single coil size neck pickup into the same pickup ring (assuming you already have a humbucker-size hole in the neck pickup position). It won't work while the sustainer is on, but it will when it's off (which is most of the time).
i think you can hear different types. generally you can tell if its feedback or not.

in this clip, it doesnt sound like natural feedback. is sounds like a sustainer or e bow or something artifical.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
hold the guitar body against the amp, all the sustain you could ever need.
I agree about the Ebow. I had one many years ago but you really need to practice using it a lot. It uses some kind of electro magnets that vibrate the string so your right hand just holds the Ebow over the strings and while it vibrates you play the notes with your left hand and they come through with no pick attack and sustain forever. Sounds simple enough right? The thing that makes it hard to work with is that it vibrates any strings it is near so you have to learn to block any adjacent strings with either your right palm or your left hand. I've seen it used well and it does work but it takes practice and technique. It will sustain any notes beautifully till you move the Ebow away from the strings. It really is a cool thing but like a “Talk Box” it’s a gimmicky kind of thing that you can only use a few times a night when playing gigs.
Quote by ikey_
i think you can hear different types. generally you can tell if its feedback or not.

in this clip, it doesnt sound like natural feedback. is sounds like a sustainer or e bow or something artifical.

It depends on how you use the sustainer, and having the Sustainer Intensity pot available to you OUTSIDE of the PC board can make a big difference. There are three modes available on the sustainer's second switch -- sustain the note, fade to the octave above, or mix the two. And you can go back and forth between the two. The Sustainer Intensity knob determines where bits and pieces of all that happen, so you can duplicate feedback sustain pretty accurately if that's all you want. Unless you actually have one in hand and play with it for a while, you really don't get all that you can do.

The sustainer allows you to do all of this with no amp in the room, which means you can do all of this from a studio control room, from a distance on stage with a wireless, etc.

Unlike working with an eBow, you don't tie up your strumming hand, which means that you can work a trem, do a bit of tapping, work tone controls (I have a Chandler Tone-X onboard, which is something like a 16 dB parked wah, and I can sweep frequencies with that if I like). And you can sustain chords (can't do that with an eBow, either).
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 11, 2014,
Quote by ibanezguitars44
Hey look! A sustain thread with Cathbard ranting about how you should just turn your amp up! Did not see that coming.

It works, though.

Feedback is the shit.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.