I always figured that 3 note per string runs would be harder. They just "sounded" harder to me, I guess. In my experience, this couldn't be further from the truth. 2 NPS licks like Eric Johnson's pentatonic runs are just brutally difficult for me. Anyone with any similar experience? Any tips besides just keeping at it w/ the metronome super slow?
Anything above 1NPS is hard.

DJ0NT LIFE.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by RyanMW2010
I always figured that 3 note per string runs would be harder. They just "sounded" harder to me, I guess. In my experience, this couldn't be further from the truth. 2 NPS licks like Eric Johnson's pentatonic runs are just brutally difficult for me. Anyone with any similar experience? Any tips besides just keeping at it w/ the metronome super slow?

The hardest part of alternate picking is when you have to cross from one string to the next. This is usually the bottleneck.

A 2NPS string features 50% more string crossings in a normal run (3 string crosses per 6 notes rather than 2), so it's normally nearly 50% harder to alternate pick!

Important things to be aware of -

Simple 2NPS runs will only feature one type of string crossing throughout, "inside" or "outside". This means if you favour one crossing (and most people do) you can arrange that the whole lick fits your preferred crossing.

3NPS require that you be equally good at inside and outside picking.

Remember you can make your life a lot easier by using hybrid picking or an occasional hammer on. Very few guitar players *really* pick every note - even if they can!

You can watch me cheat furiously with 2nps and 3nps licks here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__y1MhlSRBc