Hey all, I recently played a Fender Classic Player series Jazzmaster at my local Guitar Center.
Gotta say, I loved it. Years ago I thought these things were ugly lol

What do you guys think? Theyre roughly $800 new, gonna try to find used.

I play a wide variety of stuff, mostly ambient/indie rock styles. Ive noticed alot of ambient and indie players using Jags or JM's. What do you guys recommend?
They're good guitars. If you fell in love with it, I don't see a reason not to get it. It'll suit those music genres perfectly.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Go for it. They have that nice Fender twang and brightness only smoother and cleaner. That's why it sounds good in that musical setting. It's even great for good Texas country which is why I'd love to have one.
Great guitars for the price, good choice for your sound.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Sounds like a solid plan to me. It is one of the axes of choice in those genres for a reason. Go for it!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by tonyd927
Hey all, I recently played a Fender Classic Player series Jazzmaster at my local Guitar Center.
Gotta say, I loved it. Years ago I thought these things were ugly lol

I still do. They just have that Japanese Teisco look, and I keep expecting to grow pimples and a Beach Boy surfer do when I pick one up.

But I respect 'em.
Check Reverb.com, Guitar Center and eBay.

Other than that, though, there are other offset guitars with similar capacities & aesthetics from other makers...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
are the bodies of jazzmasters bigger than teles? if so how much?

I only ask cuz Im like 5'2" lol I didnt notice much in the store when I tried it though
Last edited by tonyd927 at Dec 9, 2014,
I'm just piling on now, but aren't Jazzmasters like, the guitar of choice for this type of music? Those and Teles, at least.
If it has an original style Jazzmaster bridge just be aware that they are notorious for the saddles dropping in height. It happens slowly over time and is due to the vibration, it has always been an issue with the original JM bridges. I found this issue when researching Jazzmasters prior to purchasing one in 2010.

You can replace the bridge with a Fender Mustang bridge or a tune-o-matic if the radius is correct, but this my require some luthier work if you can't find a direct drop-in retrofit.

The simple and cheapest solution is to remove both screws from each saddle and apply some thread lock, I used the lightest one, purple or pink I believe. I did this once, the first time a had to restring and haven't had a problem with it since.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

The one I am looking at is a 2012 model Jazzmaster.
The store wants $799 USD for it, I am thinking about trading my usa standard tele for it, thoughts?
If it's a Classic Player Jazzmaster, there's no difference whether it was made in 2008 or 2014. Age is not relevant, as long as it's still "new."
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
If it's a Classic Player Jazzmaster, there's no difference whether it was made in 2008 or 2014. Age is not relevant, as long as it's still "new."

It was made in 2012, I think what Evilnine is saying, the older jazzmasters have a different bridge
Quote by tonyd927
It was made in 2012, I think what Evilnine is saying, the older jazzmasters have a different bridge

no he's saying he did some homework back in 2010 and discovered this potential issue with the jazzmaster bridge
The Classic Player Jazzmaster has a tune-o-matic style bridge. It works just fine, although it is rather popular to swap it with a Mustang bridge so you can change the the individual string height. While this is popular for many Jazzmasters, for the CP it's unnecessary as the TOM bridge fits the radius of the neck just fine.

The only reason people used to swap in the day was because the E strings used to be taller off the fretboard than the rest because of the old 7.25" radius. The CP is a 9.5, relatively flat, and perfectly okay to use a TOM on.

You also don't have to worry about the string angle, as you'll notice on the CP, Fender actually moved the tremolo closer to the bridge than the older Jazzmasters, thus eliminating the need for a buzzstop bar or something similar. This is true of the VM and JM Squiers as well.

My Jazzmaster has the old style Trem placement, and I still don't have much issue. I use a Mosrite roller bridge and it's just fine. I think people worry about it a bit too much. Any issues people have with Jazzmaster bridges are almost always with vintage, AVRI, or Warmoth JM's that are spec to the old ones.

That said, if you want to match the radius even on the 9.5", most Mustang bridges are drop in replacements, and many people buy the most popular (and best) aftermarket offset bridge, a Mastery.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by tonyd927

Yeah, but the Classic Player's aren't older Jazzmasters. Prior to the introduction of the Blacktop Jazzmaster in 2010, no Fender production Jazzmasters had used the original style bridge since the eighties (Fender Japan guitars excluded). Currently, only the Blacktop, AVRI, Classic 60s and Road Worn Jazzmaster use the original style bridge.

What I was saying is that the Classic Player series hasn't changed since it's introduction in 2008.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Gave it a shot and got the Jazzmaster in 3color sunburst. 5 Days later and I cant put this thing down! REALLY like this guitar with all of the options it has (pickup selectors and whatnot)