Hello

I have a BOSS MT2 Metal Zone, I got this one some time ago because I felt it sounded great to the music I play (metal, punk, alternative). But I was at the studio with some friends and, even with the default settings, I couldn't hear myself. I always heard that MT2 is not a good one to use live but its the only distortion I have.
Also I saw that many guitarrists out there they use a TS9 or something similar, but I don't have a good amp, so I don't know if a TS9 will be useful for me.
Can you guys suggest me a good pedal for metal/punk distortion that sounds good live (and cheap hehe)?

Thanxxx
either your amp is to low a wattage to cut through the other guys playing or your tone settings were off. while the MZ isn't a very good pedal (IMO) no reason you shouldn't be able to hear your self because of it. if you are used to playing at bedroom volumes then you may not realize that the settings you're using may not work at louder volumes with others. if you do the super scooped thing then that is your issue right there.

as mentioned what amp?
the metal zone isn't really that bad if you crank the mids almost completely up
My amp is an old Ibanez TB15R Toneblaster but in my bedroom it works fine! But when I go jam or play live, last time at the studio I used a big Marshall they had, and I was hearing all the other guys, except me. Usually I use mids at 12 clock.
Usually mids at 12 means there is no extra mid-range emphasis added. With a scoop-y pedal like the MT2, you'll need to crank up the mids to cut through.

However, with the TB15R you might get some nasty (bad nasty) sounds with that 15w amp when cranking the mids/adding an overdrive boost like the TS-9. If you're able to use the Marshall for performances and recording, I'd get a TS-9 as well (or a boost pedal of some sort) to drive the MT2 harder, while also boosting your mid range. If you're not able to use that Marshall for performances and recording consistently, you should get a new amp first.

From what I understand about getting a really great metal/punk distortion tone, it's less about a single pedal and more about an overdrive pushing a crunchy amp to solid, rounded breakup. This might help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYtXBUS_kwY
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 2, 2014,
Using a TS9 to boost only really works with a tube amp.
It wont work with your TB15.

Using the Marshall at the studio then a TS9 will work for you but it all depends on which model they have. Plexi/JMP; not gonna make much difference.
JCM800/900/2000; Would be perfect for you to boost to get the tone you want.
MG; not gonna work (highly regarded as the worst amps ever made)
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
The most important thing is to get a good sound from your amp first, including gain/drive (without any pedals), then add the pedal to enhance that sound. Don't use the pedal to create the sound and then amplify it.

Let's start with the EQ. I play pop punk primarily but I like a lot of mids in my guitar (I'm a huge cKy fan :P), I usually set it to 4 o'clock. I need some treble to cut through but not a lot, I usually keep mine at about 1 o'clock. I usually only crank the bass tone a little past 12 o'clock and I might even cut it back to 11 o'clock sometimes. This is my EQ setting, you can use this as a reference point but the ultimate goal is to find your sound. I'm also playing through an Orange Thunderverb 200 so this might not work for your Ibanez.

Now for the MT-2, I would suggest only turning the Distortion knob far enough to where the distortion meets your needs. Any more than that and you lose dynamics. Once you continue turning the knob and you can't perceive the difference in Distortion you've gone too far. Tailor the EQ to your liking. I would suggest backing off the treble though and boosting the mids (at least a little). This will make the distortion a little "smoother". Like "Will Lane" said above, the 12 o'clock position usually means there is no boost or cut. So try going past 12 o'clock for the mids.

If you find that you can't get the MT-2 to do what you want and you're still in the market for a pedal I would recommend the Boss SD-1. I have several distortion/overdrive pedals, including an MT-2, and I still find myself preferring the SD-1 over all of them.
With the amp you use live I would connect the Metal Zone into the FX Return of the amp. Meaning use the pedal as preamp and the head as power amp, bypassing the tone controls of the head copletely. Metal Zone is quite crappy pedal (though it does work wonders as a boost for truly nasty stuff) but used as preamp you can get decent and functional metal distortion, it takes out the worst of "can of bees" syndrome the pedal suffers from.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
So many different ways. Well as I said in another thread, I think I will look for another amp really, and then I will try to build a better pedal set. Because even if I buy a TS9 just for live shows and recording, at home it won't work, so I will kinda waste money. I will start with the amp.
Well, this helped me a lot! Thanks guys!
Notice that he has no friends?

Metalzones are just bad. Any time you hear one sound ok it's because the amp is good and it sounds good despite the MT-2, not because of it. They're just a pile of shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by TheJollyRoger
So many different ways. Well as I said in another thread, I think I will look for another amp really, and then I will try to build a better pedal set. Because even if I buy a TS9 just for live shows and recording, at home it won't work, so I will kinda waste money. I will start with the amp.
Well, this helped me a lot! Thanks guys!

say what? why wouldn't a tubescreamer work at home? most of us use an overdrive even for just sitting around the house practicing.
Quote by monwobobbo
say what? why wouldn't a tubescreamer work at home? most of us use an overdrive even for just sitting around the house practicing.

Yeah. But I don't know if a TS9 will be worth now cause my amp is not good.
Your current amp has a tubescreamer built into it already. Save your sheckles and buy a good amp. That's where the tone resides. Any money you spend on a pedal is going to deplete your amp fund.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
This will probably be shouted down by people who don't know shit but here goes. Digitech I-stomp. 40 odd pedals in 1 if you have an ipad/phone. Swap and change the effects as you need. If you find one of the OD or distortions work for you that's good, or use it as delay/verb/boost/chorus whatever if not. They have updated the app to work on os/7 & 8. Can pick em up for about £30 new now. I love em. I just have to hope my Mrs never loses her I phone because I could never own one of those pieces of shit .
I had a similar problem with a similar pedal. At home it sounded good and loud enough and as soon as I went to play live I was not being heard. I also played a solid state amp but I had a 60W amp. I found that using a less distorted pedal from the same pedal series would allow me to be heard better. I believe it has to do with the frequencies and the dispersion/filtering effect when the sound goes through the audience. Also playing a mid scooped pedal such as metal distortion pedals, they sound great in a music store or in a bedroom but not as good in a band situation. The bass from these pedals is overwhelmed by the bassist and the treble is not overpowered by the drum cymbals and there is no significant mids to cut through.

Now I use a TS9 with a fender hot rod deluxe. Also, I found that the MXR dime distortion with the mid scoop off works best for me as a distortion pedal but it is quite expensive and requires 18V supply. and to get a nice tone a place an MXR M108 10 band EQ in the amp effects loop. It also required 18V supply. Together they cost around 300 euros which are not a great investment considering the cost of your amp.

To be honest with you I would suggest, forget buying another distortion pedal. Save up the money and try to get a tube amp, 30w to 50W at least. You will not only be heard, but you should be able to get a better tone. Even though I have an american amp, but British amps help cutting through the band as they are not as bass heavy and have particularly nice mids especially EL34.
Its ok if you use it as a boost... still loses to every eq pedal and od though.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.