http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL5qSj26NvU

Hey guys, i normally wouldn't post a thread for this but i really like the punchy clean tone that comes in at 3.15 and haven't been able to work out how its achieved.

If anyone has any info or insight into how they got this tone then it would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance,

Dave
If you mean the arpeggio that's there from around 1:55, whatever nice clean amp with whatever half punchy p/up will do the trick.

Both p/ups if single coils or bridge p/up if humbuckers, a quarter to two thirds bass, half the mids and two thirds to three quarters highs.

YMMV though.

If instead you mean the chords starting at 3:18-3:19 then it's not clean at all.
I mean not much distorted but definitely not clean.

Same settings as up there, though a bit distorted from the pre section.
That's the kinda sound that reminds me of a mildly distorted blackface fender, possibly brownface.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
If you mean the arpeggio that's there from around 1:55, whatever nice clean amp with whatever half punchy p/up will do the trick.

Both p/ups if single coils or bridge p/up if humbuckers, a quarter to two thirds bass, half the mids and two thirds to three quarters highs.

YMMV though.

If instead you mean the chords starting at 3:18-3:19 then it's not clean at all.
I mean not much distorted but definitely not clean.

Same settings as up there, though a bit distorted from the pre section.
That's the kinda sound that reminds me of a mildly distorted blackface fender, possibly brownface.

yeah i was talking about the second part you mentioned, i did wonder whether there was a touch of drive in it.
Cheers for the help
Effect-wise, I'm hearing overdrive, heavy reverb, and some chorus. The midrange sounds boosted too. I would favor using the neck pickup with maxed out tone. I was able to get pretty close to the recording on a cheap Peavey Rage with a Digitech Chorus pedal at about 40% and the amp's built in overdrive at 30% supersat and 40% post. Equalizer on 50% bass, 70% mid, and 50% treble.
I think the punchiness you're referring to is more from the technique than the rig. I liked how it sounded with hard upstrokes.
It is also double tracked. Trying to capture a studio sound like that on one guitar is a bit of a fool's errand.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It is also double tracked. Trying to capture a studio sound like that on one guitar is a bit of a fool's errand.

oh i'm well aware that its double tracked, I'm just trying to get the right kind of tone before I go and actually double track anything similar.

Cheers for the input though