I had a semi open back panel on hand for my Emperor 2x12 cab and installed it and wired up a pair of WGS ET-65's. I am not blown away by these in the semi open back although I am a huge fan of the ET 65's in general (amazing in my Krank 1x12, probably a perfect little cab for them).

What do you guys like for open/semi open back cabs?

I was trying to shoot for some cool clean tones, little bit of shimmer and detail for light OD. I use low tunings and thick strings (.65 B) on my guitars so I suppose it's not the typical jangly clean tone. I use a Mesa Tremoverb and Genz Benz Black Pearl.

I will probably put the closed back back on my cab and see if I like it better. Maybe open back just isnt my thing. Although at one point I had Mesa half-back (C90's on the bottom, Vintage Black Shadow on the top) and that cab was insanely good for cleans, rang like a bell.
what type of tone are you going for? I haven't tried that many speakers in an open-backed config with my black pearl but the red fangs sound pretty good (assuming you're trying to accentuate its voxiness) and the legend 1258 sounded pretty good (though made it sound a lot more fendery).

I don't have any experience with the tremoverb.

your best bet might be to email a bunch of speaker companies and see what they suggest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have two favorites: I really like Well Broken In Vintage 30's for open back combos.

After that I'm okay with Texas Heats, Swamp Things.

For closed back, my favorite is Eminence Delta Pro A's (if you've got the money, go ahead and get the EV-L's) in a properly sized properly ported closed back cabinet. Second choice: Altec Lansing 418's (15") with a horn tweeter. No, seriously.
I'd be original and go for a pair of jensen p12q, or p12r if you're concerned about the power.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I think I am just more into closed back cabs. I did a lot of A/B testing between the semi open ET-65 and my closed back Legend V1216 cab. I prefer the more controlled sound of the closed back.

Hi Dave- Do you have issues with clean headroom with your Black Pearl? I've tried all kinds of things to maximize the clean range (best method so far is- input gain very low (around 9:00), boost almost max, master around 2:00-3:00, bass knob not very boosted, full power mode. It seems like this amp wants to live in the light OD realm when you try to get to a moderate stage volume.

One of my favorite tones I've gotten was a Dark Terror into some G12K's (closed 2x12)-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnI5Yhh7OTk

I think the BP can get pretty close to that sort of voxy DT tone. I suppose I should load up a G12K into one of my cabs to fully explore.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Dec 4, 2014,
I only play at pretty low volumes

i generally set mine up slightly crunchy (depending on pickups).

EDIT: I have a feeling the manual said the mid knob added gain when set above 3 o'clock so keep it lowish
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I only play at pretty low volumes

Me too! I had been using the amp for months and thought I was golden until I had to open it up a little more for stage volume.
i remember i did crank it up a bit at the start and thought it wasn't as loud as I'd expected (and iirc i didn't notice much power tube distortion ). But that was ages ago. And I might have been doing something stupid.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?