New Project Guitar Day!

I've modded and done up a million Strats and more than a Handful of Tele's, so I decided it was time for something else! Not straying too far from my roots, I found this baby on craigslist. It's a Warmoth body, and I can't entirely tell if it's Swamp Ash or Maple. It looks very much akin to the old Maple Jazz Bass I had, and it's REALLY heavy, so I'm leaning that way.

The pickups and the bridge are from a Classic Player Jazzmaster, and the neck is from a Squier Vintage Modified. The tuners are Fender Vintage (yes!), and the pickguard is from Allparts according to the sticker underneath.

When the previous owner was routing out the bridge, it seems as if he got a bit too happy and did a tad more than he was supposed to. It's only a visual blemish, but one that irks me. Not sure what I'm going to do with that yet.

The bridge is a roller bridge that I've never seen before. It's very odd and very tall. I know I want to swap it out with a Mastery at some point, but the studs in the body are actually smaller than the standard Tune-o-matic, so I'll have to drill those out.

Here are photos:

Right now I'm thinking about doing these for the upgrades.

o Mastery Bridge (requires drilling new holes for the studs)
o Lollar JM Pickups. They're advertised to give a thicker neck and spankier Bridge.
o 50's RI Strat neck. According to the specs, it should bolt on just fine!
o Wood filler for that gap.
o Possibly refinish? It's only maple, after all.
o If I don't swap the neck, definitely swap the nut for a TUSQ for dat tremelyo.
Ver' nass. Ver' nass 'ndeed.

Also, kudos on the big sexy hair!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Jeez, what did the guy try to route with? A chisel?

HNPGD. Hope it works out
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Warmoth sucks, Mastery bridges sucks, Bucky sucks, you suck.

Or the opposite.

HNGD.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
If you paint it, what is your plan? Solid color? Racing stripe/two-tone? Metallic or metal flake?

Penguins?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Penguins?

You're a madman, and I like it.

I was thinking a classic surf color. Perhaps even matching the headstock and stickering a fun logo on it. Sage Green or Daphne Blue were my top two picks off the bat. If I did Sage Green I'd get a gold pickguard.
Looks like Swamp Ash to me.
Mastery bridge sounds like the plan to me.
Isn't there a place that has fancy upgrades for those trems as well? Seems to me that...

No idea about the pickups. I'm all ears, cause I'm think about tinkering with one of those SX Liquids (Rondo Music cheapo, body probably made of prestressed bubblegum and toenail clippings), and the bridge and the trem are among the first things to be toyed with in the tinkerage. Just watch, the silly thing will probably come out of the box sounding and playing perfectly, and THEN what will I do?
That's the curse of Rondo Music. I bought a $150 P-bass from there because I wanted a cheapy to put active pickups in for my recording projects, and I liked it better than my Fender J-bass.
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JustRooster

I was thinking a classic surf color. Perhaps even matching the headstock and stickering a fun logo on it. Sage Green or Daphne Blue were my top two picks off the bat. If I did Sage Green I'd get a gold pickguard.

If you're going to surf it up, SURF IT THE F*** UP!!!

For a pallette, I'd either try to emulate a woody wagon from the 1950s-60s era, or if you go with one of the classic greens, perhaps a tiki god motif sticker/appliqué. Or maybe a surfer silhouette.

You might be able to find a thematic pickguard. I know where to get wooden ones (if you go woody wagon), and I think Greasy Groove has some surf pickguards avaialble.

Edit: just looked- Greasy Groove has retro Sci-Fi and pin ups, but no surf-themed ones.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 2, 2014,
Oh man, a tiki god tribal something sounds fantastic. I'll surf Greasy Grooves, too.

I also had a dastardly thought. Fiesta Red? Ya feelin' me?
http://www.flaviocamorani.it/foto_strumenti/jazzmaster62.jpg

EDIT:

Or...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/Great_Wave_off_Kanagawa2.jpg
Get a big poster or decal of that and make it a mural...
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 2, 2014,
Both good ideas, but that wave is SOOOO iconic, and just different enough, that if you can figure out a way to incorporate that into your finished product? EPIC.

As I recall, Greasy Groove does do custom graphic pick guards if you can supply them with an image file, so that's an option. It was an option I was exploring while planning that last custom jobby I commissioned. (I had also explored custom engraved pickup covers, which they also do.)

Quote by JustRooster

Metallic surf green, matching headstock, pearl white pickguard, and matching white racing stripes?
Oooh, very nice. Congrats! HNGD
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Both good ideas, but that wave is SOOOO iconic, and just different enough, that if you can figure out a way to incorporate that into your finished product? EPIC.

As I recall, Greasy Groove does do custom graphic pick guards if you can supply them with an image file, so that's an option. It was an option I was exploring while planning that last custom jobby I commissioned. (I had also explored custom engraved pickup covers, which they also do.)

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/collections/coupon/products/fender-jazzmaster-pickguard-mint-green

That's super tempting, but mint green on fiesta red is getting my blood going. I'd probably do the headstock fiesta red and cover it in tiki stuff. Racing strip on the body? I'm not sure, so many options.
Whenever I do a thematic design project, I start off by looking at images related to the theme. That way, I get a strong grasp on what elements I want to incorporate and which I want to change.

The visual aesthetics of my first Rock Beach custom was inspired in part by the woodwork of classic small motorboats of the 1950-1960s. Not only did I look at a bunch of them, I sent the luthier a few, too.

And right now, I'm looking at images of Art Deco architecture and the "streamlined" corrugated metalwork of the 1930-1950s to inform the design of a ring I'm designing.

So, you have a Jazzmaster...

We've already discussed the "woody" aesthetic, tikis and classic surf colors, but, as noted, the car culture of the era has much to offer as well!

A classic racing car color like Ferrarri red, British racing green or a deep dark blue, partnered with a racing stripe and even a number would look sweet. Especially if partnered with a B&W checkered shoulder strap. Hell, you could even use Speed Racer's Mark 5 for inspiration!

Or you could draw inspiration from the hot rod scene. Loud colors- esp. metallics & flakes- are a possibility, though black was popular, too. And there are definitely all kinds of pickguards & straps that mesh nicely with that aesthetic.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 4, 2014,
Oly white, red pickguard, and a little red circle with the #5 just below the elbow rest? Could be simple and sweet.
I think it looks stunning in a natural finish

But i'd probably go with seafoam green. I've wanted a seafoam green jazzmaster for a while now.
awesome
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
She's sanded all down, and I just put on the primer. The color goes on tomorrow morning.
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

What color did you decide on?

Yeah, what color will it be?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Daphne Blue. I was a bit heavy handed on the first coat, got a couple spots I'm unhappy with. Gonna have to give it another couple hours and sand it down to the primer again. Bleh.

I've got today and tomorrow off. It'll be a process, but hopefully all finished soon. I've also got a Mustang bridge to replace that odd one, which I've identified as a Mosrite with the help of the cool guys over at OSG.
Quote by JustRooster
Daphne Blue.

Oooooh, very Solanin. I approve.

PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112

I'm pretty happy with it. Kept the relic tasteful, I think, kinda light.
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 9, 2014,
Muy excelenté!

Many congratulations are in order. That's a sexy guitar!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
diiiig
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
wow nice work, that looks great
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just read this:

Quote by JustRooster
I may be getting Jazzmaster soon. If I do, I'll probably have to start a thread for offsets!

Sooooo...