Hi all!

I am looking to get a good amp for metal someday in the future, within a reasonable price bracket around the £500 price range I will probably need the following.

Two channels
  • A clean channel that gives a sound like Machine Head's on The Blackening (I will use modulation with this)
  • A high gain channel like the one shown here with the Triple Rectifier... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmlESoWPObw(a Mesa isn't in my price range)

Two FX loops would be cool, one for each channel

I would like it in combo form, so I could practice at home and convert it into a head when I needed to.

And that's about all. Thanks!
You can get a good high gain tone for £500 but I dunno about sounding like a recto. Bugera has a recto clone (I haven't tried it) but a lot of people complain about their QC, reliability and just overall quality of build.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vyper Tube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I liked my ampeg Vh140C head with a random full stack, if you get one from 89 then you can drop it to 4 ohms
Thanks a ton for mentioning the Ampeg. From the demo's I've listened to, it sounds like increasing the mids will give me the EXACT tone (or 95% of the way) I'm looking for, which is that modern tone that is mids-rich without being honky and horribe, as opposed to a traditional scooped sound. Oh, and it's SS too, so no valve replacements.

Only problem is, it's rare, and even if I find one, I might not be able to find a footswitch. If I can't find one, what's the closest thing to it?
one of the crate SS heads (I'm not sure which one ) was supposedly very close to a vh140C.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Crate GX-130C
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
How about a Peavey XXL solid state?
Last edited by supertom1 at Dec 4, 2014,
Peavey XXX I found to be Recto like...
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Try listening to a Laney Ironheart. They seem to be a good value in Europe.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Peavey JSX 2x12 or head has a great clean and a very Mesa sounding lead channel. And this would be my first choice.

Laney VC100 or VH100r would also work just fine.

But realize you are not going to get exactly what you want especially at your budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have now narrowed my choices down to three...(not in order)

1. Peavey XXL(NOT XXX, this is a different solid state amp)

2. Ampeg Vh140C

3. Laney Ironheart

Question: Are the clean and rythym channels on the Laney fully independent. It doesn't look that way, but I just wanted to double check.
I'd get the Laney most likely. Which Ironheart, 60,120,head,combo?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by supertom1
I have now narrowed my choices down to three...(not in order)

1. Peavey XXL(NOT XXX, this is a different solid state amp)

2. Ampeg Vh140C

3. Laney Ironheart

Question: Are the clean and rythym channels on the Laney fully independent. It doesn't look that way, but I just wanted to double check.

What do you like about SS stuff?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
What do you like about SS stuff?

It's not so much I favor SS over tube, it's just if I hear a nice sounding SS (which the Peavey was, the Ampeg seemed to be although it was hard to tell due to low audio quality on YouTube) I'm gonna get a SS, as they are more reliable and you don't need to pay to replace tubes.

However, that doesn't mean I've ruled out valve amps entirely. And I DO NOT want a Blackstar ID. Those things sound like Boss made a Metalzone amp
Last edited by supertom1 at Dec 7, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'd get the Laney most likely. Which Ironheart, 60,120,head,combo?

Probably the 30W combo, as I am playing at home. Can I upgrade the IRT combos to heads?
A nice high tone amp is the orange dual terror which has 2 channels and is 30W but does not have an effects loop. orange have a great high gain sound and you really get studio quality sound. It costs at about 650 STG with a 1x12 orange cab loaded with a V30.

You mentioned modulation, if you have nice analog modulation, such as MXR (and a lot of other manufacturers), you can place them before the amp and would still sound great. if you need 2 effects loop for easy access to different pedals, alternatively, i would suggest a switch pedal such as a joyo that is programmable and also has outputs to control the amp channel. Those switch pedals are relatively cheap.
Quote by supertom1
Probably the 30W combo, as I am playing at home. Can I upgrade the IRT combos to heads?

Yes you can always make a head shell and stick the amp in it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Gab_Azz
A nice high tone amp is the orange dual terror which has 2 channels and is 30W but does not have an effects loop. orange have a great high gain sound and you really get studio quality sound. It costs at about 650 STG with a 1x12 orange cab loaded with a V30.

You mentioned modulation, if you have nice analog modulation, such as MXR (and a lot of other manufacturers), you can place them before the amp and would still sound great. if you need 2 effects loop for easy access to different pedals, alternatively, i would suggest a switch pedal such as a joyo that is programmable and also has outputs to control the amp channel. Those switch pedals are relatively cheap.

the Dual Terror is very versatile. don't get it in your head that the single EQ pot isn't going to be good, but it really comes out well, you can do just about anything with it. fat channel with a boost gets the chuggs, the cleaner channel does NOT give you cleans at loud volume, not really at all, but nice grit for some blues as well. i use it with a zendrive going on the first channel for OD. then i have a switch for the second. i really like it and i am unsure why it never made it popular.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If it's like the Dark it should be a nice solid little amp. I love the DKT though.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Peavey XXX I found to be Recto like...

My buddy just sold a XXX Peavey with MESA tubes it was sick if I didn't already own a Roadster Dual Rec 2X12 I would have snatched it up!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
My buddy just sold a XXX Peavey with MESA tubes it was sick if I didn't already own a Roadster Dual Rec 2X12 I would have snatched it up!

FYI mesa doesn't make tubes, they are just rebranded from some other company. JJ's have always done me well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
FYI mesa doesn't make tubes, they are just rebranded from some other company. JJ's have always done me well.

Yes I know MESA, Ruby, Groove Tubes, Tube Amp Doctor etc. all rebrand but they test, grade and match the tubes, I wasn't trying to brag about the MESA tubes but just stating what was in the amp.

My 6505+ came stock with Ruby Tubes and they sound OK but I will be upgrading next time around!.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
Yes I know MESA, Ruby, Groove Tubes, Tube Amp Doctor etc. all rebrand but they test, grade and match the tubes, I wasn't trying to brag about the MESA tubes but just stating what was in the amp.

My 6505+ came stock with Ruby Tubes and they sound OK but I will be upgrading next time around!.

okay, just wanted to make sure that you know that. some people don't. i run mostly JJ's through my MKIV and Tremoverb.

some tube retailers offer matching and balanced triodes, high output test, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Evilnine

all of the peaveys i have gotten have came with rubys, a VK and a 6505+ head. terrible ****ers. i swapped them out and i didn't have either amp for more than a few weeks and pulled the new tubes and stuck the rubys back in and sold them both within a few days. not what i like.

i think i may pick up a block leter 5150 at some point. but not a real concern considering what i have.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Possibly a engl?
But 5150 combo?
Ironheart 60 head with a 2x12?

Loads of good options on the 2nd hand market
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h