I am currently in a band where the other guitarist plays a 6505+ When we practice now he is only turned to about 1.5 and is still louder than the drummer. I was looking at getting a Mesa Boogie SINGLE rectifier. Its a 50 watter and I know 50 tube watts is much louder than solid state. However, I am concerned that when we start gigging if the 50 watts will cut it. I am also torn between getting the head and a cab or just going for the combo. Would ether be plenty loud? I am really thinking that I would possibly have a better tone than my fellow guitarists 6505 because I will be able to really crank my amp to over half and push the tubes in MOST gigging situations. If we were to make it to a point that actually let him crank is 6505 then the venue would surely be big enough to have a good enough PA that I could just mic my single rectifier. How big of a gig could I play with a 50W single rectifier and I am curious about the difference between going with the combo or the half stack
50W should be fine. I've got some REALLY loud 50W tube amps.

What you need to know is that the location of the volume dial is NO indication of how loud the amp can get. I've got amps that have blown their wad, volume-wise, before you get to 5. I've also got a 1500W setup because I need clean low-end response. It can be very very loud at 1000Hz and using maybe 10W to do it, where getting something clean at 50Hz is going to take every one of those 1500W.

Further, if you're playing with a lot of gain, you're going to compress everything a lot, which means that dynamics will go out the window, which means that you'll hit a point on the volume knob where rotating it has very little effect until you get toward the bottom of the dial.
A 50w tube amp is louder than a 50w solid state amp only in the guitar amps field, and that's because guitar power amp ratings are made up.

Also an amp won't sound better because you're using more of its relative power - a single and a triple recto producing the same volume without the power section being overdriven will sound the same, even if you're using, say, half the power of the first and a sixth of the power of the second.

So the fact that you'll turn up the volume knob of your amp more than your fellow guitarist will not in any way be responsible for the fact that you may sound better than him.

Also ideally, his amp would be only around 3dB louder than yours, which is noticeable for sure but it's not much.
How you set the tone stack will make a lot more difference on how you will be heard.

Then, gigging without sending the guitars through a PA system is something you really, really don't wanna do - using them amps alone will deafen the first rows and let the last rows hear only a mushy mess, and the people directly in front of the cab will hear a shit ton of treble while the people off axis will hear very little treble in comparison.

Get an amp that sounds good to you and run it through a PA whenever it's possible.
If you find it's often not possible, get your own PA system.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Loudness has a lot to do with how much cabs you are rockin. You can get a lot out of a 15w Terror through a good 4x12.

Single Rec should be loud enough. If you need more volume a bigger cab configuration will help. A 4x12 should be sufficient for anything.

I owned a Rectoverb (Single Rec) for a good while and it was loud as hell and sounded awesome. I recommend the RV if you can find one. They are sometimes cheaper than regular Single Rec. The Tremoverb is also a br00tal amp (as loud as one could ever need) and I got mine for way less than a Dual Rec.

Also... if you want to get more out of a single rec also consider the KT-88 mod (on Eurotubes web site, you just use EL-34 mode with tubes that are selected at the right mA values). I put KT-88's in my Rectoverb for a while and it added a lot of balls.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Dec 2, 2014,
It's way loud enough. A 50W tube amp can do anything. It's a really good sized amp. And think about it this way. All you need to do is be heard over the drummer on stage. If the drums are really loud out front because they are through FoH then you will be miked up too. The size of the venue doesn't matter, you just have to look after the onstage sound, FoH is the PA's job. If the other guitarist is drowning out the drummer, punch him in the face.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A 50 w Mesa is loud enough to kill livestock. Plenty. Combo vs stack is less distinguishable sound wise. Closed back tends to sound more focused and tighter on the bottom. Open back is stage filling. Choose cab baffling based on the music you play.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 2, 2014,
i an really concerned that i played music in a garage with a really loud drummer, in tight quarters, standing right in front of my amp, 50 watt 2x 12 on 5 on the master and about 7 on teh channels with the boost engaged...i may have hearing damage in my left ear. i may schedule a doctor appointment in the coming weeks.

so yes, 50 watts. is loud enough.

25 watts is loud enough.

10 and even 5 watts, is probably still loud enough to make your ears bleed.

really, its about headroom, response, and tone. watts are relatively unimportant. skill playing, EQ, settings and your cab / speakers make a tone more difference.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
protect your hearing. get some ear plugs/.

i am going to an audiologist for custom fit ear plugs. its about $100, and when i was tested that i had very small loss in hearing. i am lucky now, but it wouldn't last forever
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What?!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
What?!

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/