I think I'm asking the impossible, but I won't know if I don't ask.

I'm a fingerpicker, which means that I'm playing one, two or three notes at the same time. Is there any way I can get a slightly gritty, thick sound that doesn't turn the double stops and chords into sonic mush? I can get decent sounding single notes from a few different OD-type stomp boxes - I like the SD-1- but nothing seems to work when playing three notes. Compression helps, but that has its own problems, like added noise and loss of dynamics.

Thanks.
I would imagine you would just need an overdrive and use it with very little gain.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
I second that.

If you don't want much more distortion on the louder hits/picks just use a compressor before the overdrive, though you might as well use an overdrive alone if you ask me.

Something with little gain and fairly transparent, say a klon clone, or a joyo sweet baby (or maybe it was sweet honey, I can't really remember) if you're on the cheaper.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Cathbard

+ 1,000,000 on the delivery.

Listen to Cathbard, a Timmy will suit you very well.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
^^^ Sorry, that's gone right over my head. I've never seen South Park, and there is likely also a cultural divide.

I've tried the suggestions so far, winding down the gain of an OD and sticking a compressor in front of it - I have plenty of choice in each - but it only partly solves the problem. I'm primarily an acoustic player, and while a single OD note can sound good to me, a whole flock of them going at once doesn't; sonic mush, as I noted.

I doubt there is a solution, but a bit of lateral thinking might provide some alternative ideas. Maybe something like slapback delay, dunno.
This:

Tim (greeny23) can build you a nice one. Drop him a PM.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hah, thanks. I wondered if it was some kind of pedal, but I didn't think that Googling "Timmy" would do the trick. I'll do a bit of research on it. The pedal market is booming, I've completely lost track.

BYOC make a Klon Centaur clone, the Silver Pony, and I've been wondering about that.....
If you are thinking Klon, take a look at the EHX Soul Food.

I use a Timmy clone playing slide. I am playing more than one string at a time heaps too and I am using a SLO sound as the base. Even with that level of gain I still get decent note definition when I kick in the Timmy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Timmy is perfect for adding very light grit that doesn't color the fundamental tone so much. If the gain knob is at 9:00, it hardly adds anything at all. Bear in mind, this is with an electric into a slightly on edge tube amp. Your mileage might vary. Something else worth a look would be the Joyo Sweet Baby (Mad Professor Sweet Honey clone). It's fairly transparent and mild.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
the zendrive IMO would be the way to go. i have my orange set clean, engage the zendrive, no volume changes just a little bit of overdrive and grit. that pedal does it bestl i have a zendrive timmy MI audio blues pro, BBE green screamer and a few others.

for that scenario the zendrive is sweet; at least look into it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the zendrive IMO would be the way to go. i have my orange set clean, engage the zendrive, no volume changes just a little bit of overdrive and grit. that pedal does it bestl i have a zendrive timmy MI audio blues pro, BBE green screamer and a few others.

for that scenario the zendrive is sweet; at least look into it.

OK, thanks. I'm guessing the clones are probably also worth looking at.
im going to suggest a pigtronix philospohers tone. about 35 seconds. the blend knob adds some grit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij5mboTxLcs

great example, around 1:45 and then 2:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ITMsjx4mO4

2:20. the blend with the grit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uWPLadlNA0
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Dec 4, 2014,
Nobles ODR-1 and a compressor?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
yeah good point. what amp are you using?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)