Hi there everyone,

Was looking to get some additional feedback on the line 6 pod 2.0 before buying it.

From both the perspective of the quality of high gain tones and ease of use..my main priorities,..this seems to be favorited when compared to pod farm or the HD series.

I was interested in general feedback on it as well as wanting to clarify if I'd still need an audio interface to do decent recordings with it.

Thank you!
Old pods are decent for the price, but in the long run if you can spend more, then I wouldn't get it.

You can get decent tones out of it but if you ever played through anything else that's good then you'll be left wanting more.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
A Pod 2.0 should be REALLY cheap if you're going to buy one.

There have been big jumps twice in the Pod series; once from the Pod 2.0 t the Pod XT, and again from the Pod X3 to the Pod HD. Both of these jumps represent major changes in the makeup of the models. Other changes have mostly been about the power of the DSP used in the product (an example would be the HD500 to the HD500X) or in other structural/architectural details.

For example, the XT and the X3 have essentially the same models, but the X3 will allow you to set up two separate chains of amp/cab/FX, as if you had a separate clean and dirty amp running together. The X3 also incorporated all of the models of the Bass Pod XT, which was a completely separate unit from the standard guitar XT. The Pod HD has none of the Bass Pod XT left, sadly, but if you're a guitar player, you probably don't care <G>. The X3 also has all of the "model packs" (which were optional add-ons that you could purchase to extend the XT's capabilities) included in the firmware at no extra charge. In essence, the X3 sums up all that was good about the XT series.

There's nothing wrong with the Pod 2.0, of course -- the models were more compact and used less DSP power, which may be part of the reason that Line 6 has recycled this technology with several newer products that have branched off the Pod line.
Quote by dspellman
A Pod 2.0 should be REALLY cheap if you're going to buy one.

There have been big jumps twice in the Pod series; once from the Pod 2.0 t the Pod XT, and again from the Pod X3 to the Pod HD. Both of these jumps represent major changes in the makeup of the models. Other changes have mostly been about the power of the DSP used in the product (an example would be the HD500 to the HD500X) or in other structural/architectural details.

For example, the XT and the X3 have essentially the same models, but the X3 will allow you to set up two separate chains of amp/cab/FX, as if you had a separate clean and dirty amp running together. The X3 also incorporated all of the models of the Bass Pod XT, which was a completely separate unit from the standard guitar XT. The Pod HD has none of the Bass Pod XT left, sadly, but if you're a guitar player, you probably don't care <G>. The X3 also has all of the "model packs" (which were optional add-ons that you could purchase to extend the XT's capabilities) included in the firmware at no extra charge. In essence, the X3 sums up all that was good about the XT series.

There's nothing wrong with the Pod 2.0, of course -- the models were more compact and used less DSP power, which may be part of the reason that Line 6 has recycled this technology with several newer products that have branched off the Pod line.

Thanks for all this info!

I've read similar things online about all the increased capabilities of the newer stuff, however saw several reviews stating that the high gain distortions sounded better on the pod 2.0 and was a lot easier to use. Any opinion on that? Looks like there were only 3 high gain channels on the pod 2... were these not available on the newer stuff?

Any idea about recording with this? would this be something still neeeded to plug into an audio interface?

Thanks!!
I don't have a Pod 2.0, but I think you can pick up most of the information you need here;

http://line6.com/pod20/

As with most of this modeling gear, the more features and options that are available, the less obvious it is to work with. The Pod 2.0 is pretty simple compared to, for example, the Pod HD. So the people who are telling you it's easier to use are correct, but there is help for the people who have one of the newer HD platforms. http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup is a great starting place for the gainiacs.
Get a POD XT or X3, much better and you can get the XT for <$75 used and the X3 for <$130 used. I personally wouldn't use a POD 2.0 for anything other than the FX, every other function is very outdated sound wise
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I agree with Rob. You can get the X3 for not much more and it has much more functionality and models.

I suggest looking at demos of the gear and deciding for yourself if you want it or not.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
FYI the new Line 6 amplifi range is intended as the replacement for a lot of the pod line. i think the HD X stuff is staying but all the old red beans are on their way out.

I have no idea on the sound quality of the amplifi but if you have smartphone then they're way more flexible, way easier to use and will work perfectly as an audio interface. not too expensive either:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-AMPLIFi-TT-Guitar-Table-Top-Multi-Effects-Unit-J14460-i3923191.gc
Quote by jecooper86
FYI the new Line 6 amplifi range is intended as the replacement for a lot of the pod line. i think the HD X stuff is staying but all the old red beans are on their way out.

I have no idea on the sound quality of the amplifi but if you have smartphone then they're way more flexible, way easier to use and will work perfectly as an audio interface. not too expensive either:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-AMPLIFi-TT-Guitar-Table-Top-Multi-Effects-Unit-J14460-i3923191.gc

Yeah, but the aplifi is based on the POD XT, so IMO it is an outdated tech, period if you want a new product
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate