I have down tuned 7 and 8 strings for heavy rock and metal but I need the total opposite of that, something ideal for gentler stuff like clean indie, folk, blues, jazz.

My budget is about 5-600 pounds. I was thinking of some kind of Stratocaster or Telecaster but have no idea what to go for with Fender guitars. I've also heard good things about the Yamaha Pacifica.

Many thanks in advances!
A USA made tele or strat is most likely what you're looking for. Not sure on the dollar-pound exchange rate but they retail new for around 1000 us. I personally would go with a white tele, only reason i havent is they dont come with humbuckers

If thats too expensive you could always go used. Or buy a mexican made model, but they come with worse pickups and generally arent put together as well

Cant go wrong with a les paul either
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Last edited by rtfk101 at Dec 2, 2014,
Cheers for that - Telecaster's definitely been on my mind, so a U.S. made one is ideal? What are the pickups like on those
HSS Strat is a good all-round choice, but I play slide folk and blues and I prefer P90s, so I would be looking for a 2*90. Gibson in the upper end ( a used LP Special, mine is a '95 with P100s), but two I've tried and really like are the Fender Modern Player Thinline Tele and the Ibanez ES-330 knockoff, the ASR70. The Ibanez is a thinline hollow body with a just a bridge block, and the "acousticness"comes through a little.
If you really want the polar opposite of what you already have but still want something electric then a hollowbody would probably be the ideal if you ask me. Not a full jazz box but something like an ES-335 clone, maybe one of the thinline teles, there are a lot of options so looking around is going to be your best bet. That's what I'd be looking at for something totally different though.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'll offer paths not taken...err...suggested:

Godin: the Core P90 (an LP clone), the Belmont (which is a double cut hardtail HSS) or the 5th Avenue Kingpin II (singlecut semihollow with P90s). All are made in Canada.

Fret-King: a UK company with takes on all the classic designs. You won't be paying any import taxes on these, so you may get better value for your money.

Hagstrom: Tremar Deuce F (a double cut semihollow) and Super Swede Tremar P90

Electra: I have their Omega Prime, and it is one of the best LPclones I own. I recommend it or the less fancy Omegas without reservation.. They have other models, but I haven't tried any.

Reverend: too many options to name; very versatile tone machines. Check them out at Vintage & Modern.
http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/index.html

(I own 4 Revs, and intend to buy more- if you like what you see at V&M, I can help you narrow the field.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 2, 2014,
Ibanez roadstars from the 80s and 90s they are amazing trust me I use my bassist's blue one in the studio. I love it
"Go roll around in your sic."- Corey Taylor

Firm hater of the Les Paul. Fan of the Iceman.

You just can't have enough guitars. It is impossible for that to happen.
don't go gibson or Fender. Try a PRS before it's a mixture of both.

Gretsch , Rickenbacker , something with P90s or anything but those shitty buzzing 60 cycle hum pickups fender continues to crap out. I don't know though it's how we play a guitar not what shape it is. I had a guy play this piece of crap Ibanez RG420 and he did funk music on it... looked at the guitar like it was broken.

don't forget to try different types of strings for more of a blues, folk or whatever tone by the way.
Quote by Tallwood13
don't go gibson or Fender. Try a PRS before it's a mixture of both.

Gretsch , Rickenbacker , something with P90s or anything but those shitty buzzing 60 cycle hum pickups fender continues to crap out. I don't know though it's how we play a guitar not what shape it is. I had a guy play this piece of crap Ibanez RG420 and he did funk music on it... looked at the guitar like it was broken.

don't forget to try different types of strings for more of a blues, folk or whatever tone by the way.

ummm.... some of us like those "crappy" pickups found in fenders. a P-90 is a single coil pup and subject to that same 60 cycle hum.
Quote by monwobobbo
ummm.... some of us like those "crappy" pickups found in fenders. a P-90 is a single coil pup and subject to that same 60 cycle hum.

you forgot to mention those crappy fender pick ups are hum canceling in position 2 and 4
Tremolos a good shout forgot about that - some awesome suggestions here, I'm sure with all this to look at I can whittle it down to one perfect one.

Dannyalcatraz - that's a very interesting post I've never really looked outside of the main manufacturers (I have an Ibanez 7,8 plus an acoustic).

I'll also check out PRS and some of the other ones mentioned.

I'm a selfish b*****d - I only ever come on here these days when I need help and the UG crowd as usual have shown why this is the best guitar forum going. Thanks everyone
If you want a great Tele look at G&L

other than that, any guitar can do any style so your tittle is kinda wrong
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate