I've been interested in learning how to growl for several months now and have only recently worked up the guts to try it. I follow all the steps, breath with the diaphragm, tighten the throat etc. And it goes sorta ok until i hear the growl.

I sound like the cookie monster.

It sounds like a kid imitating someone growling, not someone actually trying to growl. Any suggestions? Oh, also i AM only 15 not sure if that will have much impact but i thought i might as well mention it.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1208630

But anyway, just keep going at it. It takes a lot of time to get good at this. Are you drinking water while you do it? And are you feeling any pain? Are you hoarse after a while? Because tightening the throat doesnt seem like the right thing to do here. Then again, the low death growls arent really my strong point.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1208630

But anyway, just keep going at it. It takes a lot of time to get good at this. Are you drinking water while you do it? And are you feeling any pain? Are you hoarse after a while? Because tightening the throat doesnt seem like the right thing to do here. Then again, the low death growls arent really my strong point.

Thanks, I plan on sticking with it and trying to improve. The only difficult part is finding a time when my parents aren't around.
To answer your questions, I drink warm tea with honey in it, and yes I do feel a bit of pain in my throat. It feels a bit like I've been coughing too long and my throat is getting a bit raw. I just assumed it was because I hadn't adjusted to it. I can post an audio file of my attempts at growling if that would help pinpoint any issues.
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Dec 2, 2014,
Post the audio. It will be helpful. You are just green behind the ears with it though. A word of caution, you are young and are more susceptible to permanent damage. That doesn't mean don't do it. It just means, if you get hoarse, take a few days off and always ensure that you fully recover.

That said, Make sure you are using your belly (diaphragm) and that you feel the vibration in the back roof of your mouth (the soft Pallete). I would suggest you do some reading.

Are you trying to emulate anyone? If so, who?
Quote by merriman44
Post the audio. It will be helpful. You are just green behind the ears with it though. A word of caution, you are young and are more susceptible to permanent damage. That doesn't mean don't do it. It just means, if you get hoarse, take a few days off and always ensure that you fully recover.

That said, Make sure you are using your belly (diaphragm) and that you feel the vibration in the back roof of your mouth (the soft Pallete). I would suggest you do some reading.

Thanks for the tips I'll try to be safe with my practice. I'll try to find a way to post audio on here. How would you Recommend doing it?
Also yes i am trying (and failing) a bit to sound like Corpsegrinder of Cannibal Corpse as i recently discovered that band and rather like his growl.
Quote by merriman44

Okay, here is the audio. Just remember, it doesn't sound good. Though I think the second attempt sounded a bit better.
http://yourlisten.com/Cheeseshark/growl-example
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Dec 3, 2014,
Okay yeah i am definitely doing something wrong, my throat hurts and i don't feel it in my soft palette at all. Thanks for the tips!
sharkie, that clip is humorous especially the end.

Ya, it does sound like you are on the right track, you just need to get the sound out of your throat. Right now you are probably grinding your cords together. What you need to do is relax the throat and let it do it's own thing by focusing above it.

Keep practicing and looking at videos. Ryan Strain on youtube would probably be very helpful for you.
Alright thanks! I have a couple of questions, do i need to do it at a certain volume for it to sound right? And is it necessary to open my mouth to get a good sound? I only ask this because i am trying to keep it at a low enough volume that my parents don't hear it/get woken up by it which makes it pretty difficult to practice.
Depends. False cords are loud at first. You probably won't make real progress at below talking volume. Opening your mouth is needed as well.

The real issue here is that you are trying to be quiet. Objectively, irrevocably and undeniably, you will not learn to scream while trying to be quiet. The thought procews of "be quiet" screw's the mechanism up and you will clench and use your throat too much.
Alright, thanks a ton for the advice! I'll try to find some good times and places that allow me to practice at a decent volume.