Applying for college and I'm able to send ~20 minutes of guitar playing. After speaking with admissions, it's very open ended. I'm thinking of doing improv, looping, chord melody, and and an impressive solo piece. Some of the pieces I was thinking of playing were Eugene's Trick Bag (the classical solo in Crossroads) and Wonderful Slippery Thing by Guthrie Govan. I want to make the right decision, as once I committ to a song, I'm stuck with it due to deadlines.

Any ideas or input for specific songs? I've been playing for 7 years. I'm thinking jazz, rock, funk, fusion, blues, but I bet rock would be fine.

EDIT: Forgot to include this: the submission is not for studying music or the music program; in essence, it's just an extra component for the application to boost chances.
Last edited by Jackolope at Dec 2, 2014,
I was originally going to do straight jazz, but I don't know what route to take. There's improv, chord melody, real book, comping, etc.
They want jazz and classical if they have a non-Berklee music program

The best advice I can give you (broken record time) is:

1. Better to give a jaw-dropping performance of an easy piece than to get by on a virtuosic one.

2. Actual musicians will be scrutinizing it. 90% of the time, the whole shred thing won't work on them.

3. Don't let 1 and 2 prevent you from shredding if that's what you do best. But don't pander either They want to hear professionalism, not pyrotechnics.

My advice: Transcription, comping, improv, solo guitar, classical piece.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
The main thing I forgot to mention was that the submission is not for studying music or the music program; it's just an extra component for the application to boost chances.

I don't know if I can fake classical. I could play a classical song on an electric or steel string guitar, but I don't know how that would be perceived.
Oh, well in that case shred like nobody's business.

And I got into school by playing Carcassi on a Les Paul with a pick, but that was at Berklee. Everyone else would probably frown on that sort of thing, but the technical display cannot be hidden, and you only have like 5 minutes with the jury.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Last edited by Jet Penguin at Dec 3, 2014,
This bad boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NR62J92fc

Potato Video Quality but had to find one at the speed I blew through it at.

My other selection was the more musical one, this was all right hand flash. You only get so much time to make an impression on these people. You have to make it obvious you know your way around the guitar in a short time.

Last edited by Jet Penguin at Dec 3, 2014,
Quote by Jet Penguin
This bad boy.

My other selection was the more musical one, this was all right hand flash. You only get so much time to make an impression on these people. You have to make it obvious you know your way around the guitar in a short time.

Maybe I should find a flashy jazz etude and a ballad chord melody?
That'd be perfect. But like we said, if you aren't formally auditioning for a program and just trying to bolster your general application, go for whatever your strengths are. Although if you can play the Guthrie tune, jazz shouldn't be too bad.

Quote by Jet Penguin
That'd be perfect. But like we said, if you aren't formally auditioning for a program and just trying to bolster your general application, go for whatever your strengths are. Although if you can play the Guthrie tune, jazz shouldn't be too bad.

I've played in the high school jazz band for four years, so I have more exposure to jazz than classical. If I can get away with using a flatpick for the chord melody, I'll be fine. And I guess I could do one or two improvs, which are my strengths. Thanks for the help.
Hey no problem. Out of sheer curiosity, where are you applying?

Neither, I straight alternate picked the entire thing.

#Guitarmasochist.

Quote by Jet Penguin
Hey no problem. Out of sheer curiosity, where are you applying?

Duke, Northwestern, Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, but I don't think Northwestern accepts an arts supp. I'll need all the help I can get haha.

Alternative picking that piece is insanely impressive, btw.
Last edited by Jackolope at Dec 3, 2014,
Oh.
I've been focusing on hybrid picking lately and when you said you played it with a pick it never occurred to me that you might have picked it all. One track mind lol.

Of course, now that I'm a hybrid pickin' mofo, I laugh at your silly alt picking.

But for real, I'm off to measure my self-worth by trying to pick that

Edit: sorry for the derail jack. Good luck with the application.
Last edited by Duaneclapdrix at Dec 3, 2014,
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
Oh.
I've been focusing on hybrid picking lately and when you said you played it with a pick it never occurred to me that you might have picked it all. One track mind lol.

Of course, now that I'm a hybrid pickin' mofo, I laugh at your silly alt picking.
But for real, I'm off to measure my self-worth by trying to pick that

Edit: sorry for the derail jack. Good luck with the application.

Thanks. Whenever I attempt to fake fingerstyle I end up doing some weird hybrid picking catastrophe.
I use a pick pretty much exclusively these days. I only finger/hybrid pick to execute an otherwise impossible part, aka chords and walking bass.

If Chris Thile can get by with 100% alt picking, its good enough for me.

If there's no limitation on what you can play, just play something that you already know, that you like and can play well. Anything else is just making it harder for no particular reason.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yeah. That's a great book, lots of good information in there. Big Fan of Galbraith.

At least the lines anyway, some of the chord to chord moments just need two down strokes to sound "right." All the linear stuff I alt pick, unless its a blatant sweep.

But again, don't force yourself to jazz it up if unnecessary.

Last edited by Jet Penguin at Dec 4, 2014,
i was a GIT student and did an audition there. and one thing i would really suggest is to dig deep inside and try to find out who you are. what do you want to say with your guitar long term. The more you have this the more you will grow and become who you want to become. Set your goals and just do everything to impress yourself fist. Dont think so much about impressing others, the more you can be yourself and play good, the more you will impress others.
of course that's just my opinion.