Hello Everyone,

This is my first post i have finally saved up enough money to buy one of these two guitars. I am not sure which one to go with. I've always wanted a Gibson Les Paul Custom but then Mark Tremonti is the reason i started playing guitar and i have always wanted his signature model considering i learned how to play on a Tremonti SE. What are your thoughts? I am curious about build quality. The stuff i like to play is Alter Bridge, Classic Rock, Metallica, Stone Sour, Three Days Grace, Creed, Tremonti's solo album stuff.

Thank you!

Zack
Never buy a guitar simply because some rock hero's name is on it.
If the guitar itself has something on it that you can't live without (other than the logo <G>, then go ahead.

That said, the PRS is a very well-built guitar.

The Gibson may or may NOT have the same appointments this year that the Custom was known for as recently as four or five years ago (check the fretboard materials, etc.).
if you do get the Mark Tremonti PRS guitar swap the bridge as soon as possible. It cannot intonate so doing pinch harmonics is going to be a lot of fun. Luckily this is an easy bridge to find replacements for. If you wanted a whammy bar I believe a Kahler would replace it in without any re-drilling.

I've heard the stock pickups are good too. I hate mentioning pickups because I'm a guitar tech and it comes up every single day. When I got mine it had EMG pickups in it so I haven't tried the PRS ones in it. All in all the big difference is the PRS is lighter and thinner. Sort of like Marks les paul standard if memory serves me right. Besides that on the SE model the tuners are junk. But grovers aren't too expensive.

Honestly I'd get the PRS. The only way anyone should spend more than 2000$ is if they get a hand made guitar where everything is absolutely perfect on it. Gibson Les Paul Customs aren't that great. The ones made after 2000 aren't fretted as good and the most recent use phenolic resin fretboards which is a man made material yet the price of the custom which is still in the 3000-4000$ range new hasn't dropped.

With the PRS though What I liked was there is 4 knobs so you can do lots of stuff. Series/parallel (hum cancelling coiltaps), 2 or 3 band EQ to just about any other wiring mod. Make sure to get a good amp and or some pedals like mark uses to get his tone.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 3, 2014,
Play both and decide for yourself, they are both amazing guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I love LP Customs but I will admit that they ain't what they used to be.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I love LP Customs but I will admit that they ain't what they used to be.

why is that?
The American-Made PRS Tremonti will feel MUCH different from your SE. It will have a thicker body, thinner neck, and most likely will come with a tremolo (though they now are offered with a fixed bridge, thank you PRS).

As a huge fan of Mark, don't get it just because he plays it. His hands are different from yours, and what fits best in his may not necessarily fit best in yours. Don't focus so much on following in someone else's footsteps. Carve your own path!

That being said, PRS has fantastic build quality. I've never played a PRS that I felt was poorly made. I can't say the same about Gibson. I'd even go so far to say, Gibson doesn't make the best Les Paul style guitars anymore. My LTD-EC1000T was everything I would want a Les Paul Custom to be, just with a different name on the headstock.

Play both in the store if you can, and see which speaks to you. Hell, you might even fall in love with a totally different guitar while you're there.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Dec 3, 2014,
FWIW the tremonti pickups are pretty badass. ive had the full set in my shecter c-1 classic (mahogany) for a few years now and have never considered changing them. those pickups are a perfect match for my that guitar and my playing style.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

I personally love LP Customs and you can sometimes get older ones for cheaper than the new ones.
You could also look for some of the "lawsuit" Les Pauls like Orville, Greco or Burny. I own a Greco LP Custom and I prefer it over most Gibsons and it cost me a fraction of the price for Gibson.
Gibson Explorer "Golden Axe"
Gibson Explorer
Greco Les Paul Custom.

Pedals.

Tommy Folkesson MK VI modded Marshall 1959 '80
Marshall JMP 2204 '79
Marshal JCM 2000 DSL100 white

Cabs.
^ Orville was a Gibson licensed product
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TheRiddl3r76
why is that?

They've been having issues with getting access to the fretboard materials appropriate for their guitars.

The new materials they've been using are actually not bad at all, but when you consider that far, far cheaper guitars come with ebony fretboards while a $3000 LP Custom is richlite, it's disappointing.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
get a guitar that works for you. I understand the "my fav plays one so it must be great" line of thinking. great for him perhaps but not necessarily for you. as much as I love the look of a LP and yes many players that are major influences play them they don't work for me. I've owned 2 and much as I tried I just couldn't bond with them nor was I truly comfortable playing them. at this point I use a BC Rich Eagle for my LP tone needs.

personally I'd suggest playing the 2 guitars you mentioned head to head to see what works better. while your at it try a few other different guitars to be sure. if you are going to spend that kind of money be sure you are happy.