Wasn't sure where exactly to ask this seeing as it's to do with live performances but seeing as I figured you need a looper pedal of some sort to do what i'm asking, then this section of the forum still kind of makes sense.

ANYWHO!

My band isn't the greatest when it comes to speaking to crowds at live shows so we've toyed with the idea of using samples in between songs while we tune up and to keep the vibe going. I've seen bands such as Mastodon use a digitech jamman looper pedal to play their samples at the start and inbetween the songs of the set. My question I guess is how exactly does this get set up? I assume you can put samples on the actual pedal via USB but how exactly would you hook it up to use? I've always thought of looper pedals to be for recording phrases and extra vocal/guitar parts so using one in the context i'm hoping to use one for is slightly confusing to me.

Anyone had experience with doing this? Would love to know how you set this kind of thing up!

Cheers!
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
if someone turned up with one at a gig of mine, i would usually just DI/Line out direct to the PA or just run it as the last effect in your FX loop and just stomp away.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
You could put a sample on to the jamman and play it out of your amp or hook it to the PA but in all honestly i would really work on reducing the time between songs. practice that, be ready to go, start tuning during the crash outro when someone else is still playing. Practice that in a rehearsal space, keep the vibe going. one thing that is easy to do is have one person play with the drummer longer on an outro when you tune up, next song swap it.

just a thought
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
or you know talk like humans.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Are you tuning up after every song? If so, why? I understand if all your songs are different tunings, but really, if you're a tiny bit off, the only one who will notice is you. You shouldn't have to be tuning at all between songs otherwise.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Some delay pedals have a loop mode too. I've seen bands use that. It's not for a super fancy effect but it's good for creating an ambience.

If you wanted to pre record samples into a looper you'd probably want to run the line through the PA.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Dec 3, 2014,
Here is a great idea, don't take breaks/pause in-between songs and write your set list so you go from one song to the next. Just an idea

And if your frontman can't keep the crowds attention in the occasional break, look for a new frontman.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Will Lane
Hook up a laptop to the system with pre-recorded sounds.

dont think a laptop is enough...
Quote by CeceliaLinck
dont think a laptop is enough...

It definitely should be. If it's going through an amplified system with adapters/ports with capability, it will be fine. Or just put it through a floor speaker.

That way, you can pre-record multiple tracks without aliasing, as some loopers can't put out but so much, as well as the speaker not being able to produce the multiple tracks at once. More musical opportunity with computer compressed tracks.
As has been said it could definitely work. I think it'd be pretty cool to run it last on your board and play a little opening riff into it to buy time before songs, then just use that riff to lead in to the song... But as also said, you probably aren't doing this for every song so it seems like you should just rehearse tuning time in to your sets.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Many instrumental bands do this since there's no true "front man". It's good for looping ambient shit as filler.

Quote by the_white_bunny
or you know talk like humans.

I like to talk like dogs.

Quote by tubetime86
As has been said it could definitely work. I think it'd be pretty cool to run it last on your board and play a little opening riff into it to buy time before songs, then just use that riff to lead in to the song... But as also said, you probably aren't doing this for every song so it seems like you should just rehearse tuning time in to your sets.

This.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Just hook your labtop to the PA...
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
Just hook your labtop to the PA...

I believe you could even do this with an iPad or iPhone (or Android if that's your style). There are plenty of sample apps that would let you load up whatever you want. I don't see that a loop pedal would be necessary.
To the people actually answering the question thanks, to the people saying "get a better frontman" why the f*ck did you bother to reply, thanks for the absolutely useless information.

A lot of bands don't talk at all during their sets, not everybody wants to hear "hey after the set go to the merch stand and buy all our shit" As cGoEcYk said it's about ambience and setting a vibe and keeping the flow of the set going more than anything. We're not big talkers and not every band needs to be. Tool, Mastodon, Melvins, lots of bands aren't big talkers and don't need to be. Anyway thanks for the replies guys I'll see what gusta I can musta and see if I can get this whole idea to work for my band, if not we'll just hire Ric Flair or something
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
Quote by qotsakyuss
To the people actually answering the question thanks, to the people saying "get a better frontman" why the f*ck did you bother to reply, thanks for the absolutely useless information.

A lot of bands don't talk at all during their sets, not everybody wants to hear "hey after the set go to the merch stand and buy all our shit" As cGoEcYk said it's about ambience and setting a vibe and keeping the flow of the set going more than anything. We're not big talkers and not every band needs to be. Tool, Mastodon, Melvins, lots of bands aren't big talkers and don't need to be. Anyway thanks for the replies guys I'll see what gusta I can musta and see if I can get this whole idea to work for my band, if not we'll just hire Ric Flair or something

so your up and coming band is on the same level as tool and mastodon, in the sense that people already know you and your super cool vibe of not speaking to people?

one time a band i was in did a show and a super drunk old bar hag was screaming and dancing making it super awkward for the other 15 people that weren't there to see us. while in between songs and tuning up really quick she started bending over and slapping her ass no one was saying or doing anything so i leaned into the back up mic we had on stage and said "ma'am that's very unnecessary", people started laughing and actually started paying attention to our set. we actually got some more shows because of how well it went that night.

i'm not saying beg for people to buy your shit but some interaction makes people happy. im sure one of you can nut up and think of some generic "how are you guys doing?" or one liner type of thing to say at least once during your set..... over your interlude music.

thats just my take on it.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by qotsakyuss

we are being reasonable. i really don't think was necessary.

Robbgnarly has a point.

with frontman has to be able to sing and play whatever, but maybe it should be practiced to be more interactive. there is a local blues guy that are getting bigger fast, Damon Fowler, and i saw him right as he was selling his first albums. he has a very open personality and was told by somebody said he needed to engage the crowd more. he joked about it the next gig, saying "well i guess i need to start talking to you more so here it goes" just frank. now four or five years later he interacts great and is a lot of fun to see.

maybe that is something you practice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Dec 4, 2014,
The boss rc-30 loop sounds good for this. It has 3 hours of recording with 99 memory slots. If you get the fs-6 footswitch with it you can skip through the pre recorded memory slots and play any you like with the footswitch.