How can I get a nice, heavy metal tone on my amp? I want my sound to be close to bands like Bullet for my Valentine, Machine Head or something along those lines. I have a Peavey 6505+ Combo amp and Boss ME-80 multi effects pedal and my current guitars are Schecter Synyster Gates Custom-S and ESP LTD F-350.
I don't know to much, what is your experience level?

Well i'm going to give you my knowledge threw mean of Bullet for my Vallentine.

The tone actually can and doe's build. But, perhaps I m just taking one of their songs into consideration for this reply.

tone your amp and try this out.

Flip your switch to rhythm and build off of that tone by means of changing it to Treble.

It's working for me while just gaining some knowledge and experience with similar subjects.
Optional: New tubes, new speaker(s)

Overdrive pedal going into the front of the amp with the overdrive volume maxed and the gain on its lowest setting.

Finally, pick really ****ing hard. You won't break anything.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Just mess with your dials until you find a tone you like.

It's as simple as that. Learn to eq
ayy lmao
AFAIK Machine Head uses the crunch channel on their 5150/6505 and boost it with an overdrive pedal. So hunt down a cheap Bad Monkey pedal if you are on a budget.

And general rule of good metal sound, dont go overboard with gain. Some subgenres use more gain than others but a making a mess without dynamics is (almost) always bad. Also dont scoop the mids too much, actually in case of Machine Head and the likes you need to turn the mids UP and keep the bass in check.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Not trying to be sarcastic here but how are you not getting at least a decent metal tone out of it?

Don't turn the gain past 5.5 with the stock tubes - it all goes to mush.

Experiment with the crunch channel as said before.

Lead Channel - try putting your EQ all on 6. Res and Pres on 5-6. Pre-gain on 5. Post gain to as loud as you can. It really opens up past 2. Use your bridge pickup. This should be a great starting point for "metal".

If you think your tone is lacking then I'd change/add:

1. Speaker - put in a Celestion V30 ($140) or a WGS Veteran30 ($80)
2. EQ - add a MXR 10-Band EQ to the Loop - ($120 new down to $50 used)
3. Overdrive - anything like an Ibanez TS9, Maxon OD808 (expensive options) to Digitech Bad Monkey and Joyo Vintage Overdrive (cheap, especially used).
4. Tubes - retune with a set of JJs.
5. Reduce some gain/fizziness - put a 5751 in V6 (whichever the Phase Inverter is) and/or V1.

How much do you want to spend and how long have you played with what you have? What volume are you playing at?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee I am able to create a somewhat decent tone but I also wanted to hear what other people have to say on the topic. I normally play pretty quietly as I live in a quiet neighbourhood, sometimes I turn up to louder levels. About those tubes, can you recommend any particular models?
lots of gain , lots of distortion. You're half way there with the synester gates schecter guitar if it's got his signature invaders in it. The regular invaders are nice too.

bridge position for sure.
put the pickups close to the strings , it makes a big difference
a lower tuning may help. Wikipedia has a list of them. See what your favorite bands are using. I like C# myself because it's dark and evil. But Standard B is good too.

tuning lower than D though try an 11-49 or 10-52 set though. No use for ultra heavy gauges to play on. Personally I like pure nickel strings for more of a dark tone. Dunlop and GHS make them for example to D'Addario.

amp settings have been discussed. My preference on a 15 watt marshall. bass at 4 to 7 , treble at 5 to 8 maybe. I always put the treble up a little higher for more of an aggressive bite.

worst case scenario if you've done all of the above
a Maxon gain pedal. I forget what they call it but it's like OD-808 .. dont quote me on it , its expensive
a nice solid state or tube amp. Try some out with your guitar and see what suits your needs. There is a lot of good solid states out there that require no maintenance.

good luck
Quote by Tallwood13
lots of gain , lots of distortion.

Nope. Most metal guitarists you hear aren't actually using all that much distortion. More gain doesn't make a tone more brutal.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Alpha4815
metalmingee I am able to create a somewhat decent tone but I also wanted to hear what other people have to say on the topic. I normally play pretty quietly as I live in a quiet neighbourhood, sometimes I turn up to louder levels. About those tubes, can you recommend any particular models?

You're always going to get a better distortion sound at high volumes simply due to how your ears perceive the volume.

My amp is slightly different than yours. I have a 5150 2x12 combo which is the current 6505 Combo.

The 6505+ has one extra pre-amp tube so that's why I'm not sure if the PI is V6 or V5 - it should be whichever one is closest to the power tubes.

I put JJ's in mine as I had probably the original (seriously) tubes in it when I got it about 18 months ago. I used Eurotubes.com from a recommendation on these boards. They have a retube set you can purchase. I'd get that and then 2 extra 5751 if you can justify dropping the extra $. A JJ5751 in V1 will reduce some of the overall gain available on the amp but I feel that's a good thing for the 6505/6505+ as you really can't turn the gain up past 5 anyway with 12ax7s (the stock tube type). It also makes the clean channel better if you care about it.

You can also play with AXU7 and AXT7 tubes to change the gain available in V1 as well. I felt like these were too big of a drop off.

I put Celestion V30s in mine frankly because I could (found them used cheap on eBay). If I had to pay new prices I'd put in a WGS Veteran30. The sound difference over stock is big but some of those bands you mentioned may use the stock Peavey Sheffield 1200's or they may have recorded using a toaster and boom box. I have no idea.

The MXR 10 band EQ is really gold for these amps. The tone control you get is huge and the ability to roll the volume down using the EQ pedal and keeping the amps Post Gain higher is really cool but you really still can't put the post at 2 and keep it quiet.

Also with your high gain pickups, you may want to pull the pre-gain down even a bit lower.

I also have the Bad Monkey (set up as a clean boost - volume around 3 o'clock and drive at 0) and Joyo Vintage Overdrive (set up as a crunch / light distortion to be used on top of the clean channel - I don't have a crunch switch on the foot control on the 5150).

With the volume up, I actually like the way my amp sounds without the boost on at all better most of the time. At low volumes I normally run the boost.

For really low volumes or headphones I just use Peavey Revalver on my laptop using a Rocksmith cable. . .

Hope this helps!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
all i want to say is...after all...you still have to try it out urself...since our tones are not exactly the tone you want...i can be 100% sure about that...
Would like to point out that on albums things sound the way they do because of various forms of multitracking, post processing and EQing, also there is A full band in the mix so that may contribute towards their tone!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Would like to point out that on albums things sound the way they do because of various forms of multitracking, post processing and EQing, also there is A full band in the mix so that may contribute towards their tone!

This is very much worth noting; a hell of a lot of the overall tone of a metal band comes from having a well-mixed, very competent bass player, and a drummer that the rest of the rhythm section locks in super tight with. Even live that's going to be the case; you won't sound the same as bands you look up to without having a really good band around you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.