Hi guys,

I was planning to build a cheap talkbox. I first bought some computer speakers but found out I had to crushem in order to get to the speakers.
A friend of mine isolated a little speaker from something else.

These links are some pictures
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2z0z6is3fmfadnf/2014-12-03%2020.31.02.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvwckfu55m2wg7h/2014-12-03%2020.30.50.jpg?dl=0

The problem is:
I don't know if it still works and I'm not sure how to test it either.
How can I easily pump some sound into this thing. Any ideas to make an easy connection with something lying around at home?
I first wanted to measure it with an ohm meter, but that uses direct current and I probably need some alternating current for this thing.

Also what's up with the capacitor, do I need it?

(I know I'm a total newbie),
Thanks in advance
You can measure it with an ohm meter. If it reads between 2 and 32 ohms (not counting the resistance of the probes shorted together, if it a digital meter) then it is good. If it is a dead short (~0 ohms) or open ( high or infinite ohms) then it's no good. It will probably read closer to 4-16 ohms though.

The cap is (was) part of a crossover network. You won't need it.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Dec 3, 2014,
You can also put a 9v battery touching both posts on the speaker, if it is good the speaker will push out and stay out
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The capacitor is a simple crossover and the speaker was used as a tweeter, that may mean it has very little bass, though all sorts of speakers were drafted in for use in tht way in the 'good old days'. Shouldn't be hard to find an alternative if that one is u/s old TV's often have small full range speakers in or look at old car speakers.
Tough to get the sound to travel up the tube with a speaker. The best talkboxes use a midrange horn driver with the tube plumbed directly to the driver throat. A crossover or tone circuit helps to smooth out the driver response so it sounds more natural.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Robbgnarly
You can also put a 9v battery touching both posts on the speaker, if it is good the speaker will push out and stay out

huehuehuehue

Delete system32 amirite?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
huehuehuehue

Delete system32 amirite?
If you only do it for a second it will be fine. Though a 1.5v cell would be a lot better.

TS, did you test it through the cap or directly at the speaker terminals? Caps block DC so the battery test or an ohm meter will not give a valid result.
^ exactly it is ok if you don't keep it laying on the posts for too long. Learned that trick from an old sound guy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I did not actually know that. But then I've never really needed to know. I have an AC frequency generator.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by Invader Jim
If you only do it for a second it will be fine. Though a 1.5v cell would be a lot better.

TS, did you test it through the cap or directly at the speaker terminals? Caps block DC so the battery test or an ohm meter will not give a valid result.

I didn't test it through the cap. So it must really be broken.