I'm nervous. Never had a phone interview before. I am worried I could come across as a sociopath.

Please give me tips The Pit for your phone interview life hacks

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Put on your best tie
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
It's just like any other interview.

Only thing I can say is do not pause excessively. When in person, pausing to gather your thoughts is not all that bad. They can tell you're thinking. On the phone, that isn't as obvious and is frankly just awkward.

That's all I can say, really.

^ Actually, do dress like you're going to an in-person interview. It helps you get in the right mind.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I'll put a shirt and tie and blazer on

But cba to put on smart trousers that's too much

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I suggest carrying yourself as if the person was right there. A big part of that is making hand gestures while you talk, as you may tend to do when actually talking in person. When I have a phone interview or anything like that I even exaggerate hand gestures and find it helps me sound more at ease and natural.

I also walk around while doing all this.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by JustRooster
I'm proud, guys. This is all actually really good advice.

smh

do the interview in your underwear
Prepare as you would a normal interview. You get the added benefit of having notes in front of you. But have it just as notes as you don't want to sound like you're purely reading off a script

I've completely ****ing bombed phone interviews before and still got through. They just want to ensure that you've got minimal communication skills so don't stress
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Dec 3, 2014,
Stand definitely. Dress up, doesn't have to be suit and tie though. Have your resume in front of you. Have the job description in front of you. Prepare questions just like you would for normal interview.

Also funny interview story. I ha a phone interview with this Asian guy who could barely speak English, just had the strongest accent. Don't ask me why they even had him doing it. But along with he accent the phone kept cutting in and out and he would ask me a question and I would only get like half the question. I didnt really even realize the phone wS cutting out, just thought I couldn't understand him. So basically for 5 minutes the interview consisted of me saying "what, what, what," for every question until finally I said you should call me from a different phone. Long story short I never heard back from that company.
my two cents (I am a recruiter if that helps or adds any weight)

Be punctual
Thoroughly review their website and the job description
Have a copy of your resume in front of you
Take notes during the interview
Ask questions about the position (not what are the typical hours, more like, "I noticed in the job description it said that you are looking for candidates with xyz, how would that benefit the overall objectives?" -stuff like that)
--Actually write down some questions to ask, ask them about their background, ask about room to grow within the company.

Get them talking, ask questions, I would have 3-5 questions to ask, you might not get all of them answered but it shows you care and do your research.

Finally, Have fun. Seriously, its just an interview, have fun be confident. Report back how you did
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by Cianyx
Prepare as you would a normal interview. You get the added benefit of having notes in front of you. But have it just as notes as you don't want to sound like you're purely reading off a script

I've completely ****ing bombed phone interviews before and still got through. They just want to ensure that you've got minimal communication skills so don't stress

Yeah man I've got a set of tabs bookmarked on my browser that I can open whilst whilst I get interviewed.

Also got the job description written down - the key points of the job in one column and a story I have to demonstrate that quality.

#organisation

Standing up sounds like a pretty good idea too. Also heard you have to project yourself more so smiling is really helpful so you don't sound like a blunt shithead.

Mention how good you are with spreadsheets

Sorry
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
That's actually on my CV. I made some pretty advanced science spreadsheets. The joke is on you dickhead.

Machiavellian sociopathy will get you pretty far in the job market
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
inb4buklau
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I also walk around while doing all this.

Oh good. I thought this was uncommon. I had a phone interview once and I paced back and forth across my living room probably 50 or 60 times.
Quote by archangels
Oh good. I thought this was uncommon. I had a phone interview once and I paced back and forth across my living room probably 50 or 60 times.

I also do this. When I talk to people in person, I can be completely fine just standing still. But when I talk to someone on the phone, even if it's just friends or family, I walk all over my house the entire time I'm talking to them. I think it has something to do with being nervous, because for some reason I tend to get more nervous talking to people on the phone than in person.
Quote by deadsmileyface
lol'd

Some of you are horrible people

Thanks to those who aren't and gave good advice

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Some of you are horrible people

this is true

good luck on the interview mate :thumbup:
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I'm a horrible person but I try to help when I can

And deadsmileyface is simply a horrible person
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
You have offered some good advice. Thank you. Also BabyJoel

dsf should be ashamed of himself.

what's the job for by the way?
it's all coming back

Don't forget to breathe. You don't have to talk fast. In fact, speaking slowly can help you appear less nervous and more certain of what you are saying, and will prevent you from speaking in monotone. It's okay if you stumble over a couple of words or something, everyone does that.

Also I trust you are smart enough not to do this but I had to phone interview someone once and on a train. I could hear the announcements for each station in the background, not to mention the whooshing noise from being underground, and he lost reception for 5 minutes. Please be in a quiet room, alone.

Good luck
cat
Thanks guitarxo, speaking slowly is actually quite a good idea. I'm spending this morning getting a set of tabs I could use up on my google chrome plus I have my little notebook. And the room will be silent of course.

Quote by Baby Joel
what's the job for by the way?

Quantity surveyor graduate scheme.

First non-science job interview I've had. Seems like something I could be quite good at given my skillset and like a good career to develop (plus the pay and benefits are awesome).

woah, nice mate. Good luck again, sure you'll do fine :biggerthumbup:
it's all coming back

Good luck!

Phone interviews ****ing sucks (=I bombed a phone interview once)
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Hardly seems like something to worry about. Most phone interviews are just preliminary conversations that verify your qualified, still interested, and some overview. After that, they'll schedule the real face-to-face interview.
Last edited by AxeToFall at Dec 4, 2014,
Imagine the person on the other end of the phone naked. If it helps you, get naked yourself.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yeah man I've got a set of tabs bookmarked on my browser that I can open whilst whilst I get interviewed.

Also got the job description written down - the key points of the job in one column and a story I have to demonstrate that quality.

My advice would be don't get too hung up on that stuff, it'll end up distracting you. Obviously refer to it if you need to but like other have said, don't make it sound like you're just regurgitating shit from notes/websites.

Since its a grad job I'd guess the questions are mostly going to be competency based (dunno, I've never actually had a proper phone interview so I could be wrong). So make sure you have plenty of specific, fairly detailed answers for when they ask you about times you've solved a problem/worked as a part of a successful team or whatever.

I did lol at the excel comment though, not gonna lie.
I've just got the webpage for the role up so I can refer to it if I need it. I don't wanna get distracted so yeah good idea to keep it minimal.

Got my competency based questions written down too, not in detail just bullet points and I'll weave a narrative out of these points when needed too.

Hopefully I'll be a lot more composed and organised than I usually am on the phone because I can usually ramble quite a lot

Done. Didn't really need my notes, simply having written down the notes was a really useful thing as I had an idea of something in my head already. I think it went okay but it's obviously very hard to tell with these kind of things, fingers crossed.